Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:50:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 95 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think are the biggest disadvantages of Bitcoin?  (Read 76696 times)
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 12:37:18 PM

The biggest disadvantage is that you can't convert your bitcoins into FIAT and get yourself removed from the system instantly when you want to.

I mean, its very easy to transfer your money overseas by using bitcoins but when it comes to convert them into FIAT, the real problem begins. Government  dogs will be all over your ass.

It's not that big of a deal if you just stick to lower (<$1000) amounts. I send money quite regularly in form of Bitcoin, where the receiving party converts it to fiat as soon as it got a few confimations. So far he didn't report any issues from both the bank he receives the converted money into, and his local government.

The only ever problem I faced was when I made a cashout request from Bitstamp to my bank account. I received quite a long letter from my bank stating I have broken their policies by abusing their service to receive money related to Bitcoin. I either had the option to stop using whatever form of Bitcoin related services in combination with my bank account, or they would directly halt my bank account. I chose to ditch that bank and transfer all my money over to another bank. I don't let any entity tell me what to do.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Natalim

Activity: 2912
Merit: 591

BTC to the MOON in 2019

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 12:43:25 PM

I think the biggest disadvantages of bitcoin is that it is always been scammed because mostly it is traded online and also bitcoin is not yet so popular in this world that even you have many bitcoins you can only buy to a market which recognizes bitcoin and which is seldom.
I'm sure you don't get it or really don't know what bitcoin is. First it is not an investment but just a payment system, some people who wants to scam uses bitcoin as a payment method to deposit in their sites. Example for this are HYIPs and the PONZI scheme, they require investors to deposit bitcoin because it's easy and they can get more market of people.
Bitcoin is a very legitimate asset, currency, or whatever you wanna call it, it has reach to this progress because people believe in it.
Since no system is perfect, bitcoin has also disadvantages but there are more benefits than disadvantages that's why we choose to trust it.

brokens

Activity: 728
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 04:01:21 PM

Lack of government control also makes bitcoin seemed worthless. In addition, some financial analysts consider bitcoin currency as illegal because it is not pushed legislation legitimate in the eyes of the law
blackhawkeye1912

Activity: 784
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 08:54:26 PM

What's preventing Bitcoins from being accepted as mainstream payment forms? I'm working on a new blockchain and would like to learn what drawbacks of Bitcoin urgently need to be improved Wink

One of the disadvantage of bitcoin was I think people are  lack of awareness and understanding in terms of bitcoin. And others are the volatility, Due to the price value of bitcoin is bouncing from time to time that's why it has risk involved too.
alisus

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 05:01:43 PM

There has been no systematic method created by the government related to digital money that will be used as a primary form of payment must therefore be governed by the laws in each country and even the rules of the International scale required.
Why they don't make the rules?
Perhaps because many considerations that do not allow to make digital money becomes the main payment
fullypak
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 07:06:09 PM

Lack of government control also makes bitcoin seemed worthless. In addition, some financial analysts consider bitcoin currency as illegal because it is not pushed legislation legitimate in the eyes of the law
We have a number of digital wallets, and all of them are approved by governament why because they will pay tax to governament. So they are legal in the market. If the Bitcoin users also pay tax to governament, then it automatically becomes legal currency. And all financial analyst will start to analyse about bitcoin market. If you do any business/Transaction without knowing your governament, then it is called illegal transaction. So the Bitcoin transaction is also illegal.
CryptoBjorn

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 08:50:40 PM

What's preventing Bitcoins from being accepted as mainstream payment forms? I'm working on a new blockchain and would like to learn what drawbacks of Bitcoin urgently need to be improved Wink

One of the disadvantage of bitcoin was I think people are  lack of awareness and understanding in terms of bitcoin. And others are the volatility, Due to the price value of bitcoin is bouncing from time to time that's why it has risk involved too.

I find the complexity of the system behind bitcoin very bad. The average user won't understand it, hence they don't participate. Remember why would you buy something if you have no clue what it is? What you can do with it etc. etc.
modsa26

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 09:18:50 PM

I think the biggest disadvantage of bitcoin is the long time to confirm one transaction

espicially nowadays, it almost takes 2 days. On the other hand Bitcoin is a good project and good idea but it will transform other project like ETH,other project in future. Becuase Bitcoin isn't produced ownself. It's supported by blockchain. Blockchain technology bigger than bitcoin. Bitcoin is just first coin that is created by blockchain technology. and so many companies,countries,people,devoloper dont know this.

Fatanut
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1059

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:26:24 AM

I find the complexity of the system behind bitcoin very bad. The average user won't understand it, hence they don't participate. Remember why would you buy something if you have no clue what it is? What you can do with it etc. etc.

How is it hard to understand a currency? It's a crypto-currency meaning it's a digital currency on the Internet. Or maybe you were saying about technical stuffs like how does the bitcoin network works, the bitcoin core, how to run a node, etc.? Well, even in fiat, we don't know all of that. We don't know how were taxes computed. We don't know how's printing of fiats issued.

We are all average users in here that had the courage to do something and do our own research to understand bitcoins. No one spoon fed us. It was us alone that tried to understand bitcoins so if they don't understand it and they don't do anything about it, it's their problem, not ours.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:36:53 AM

I think the biggest disadvantage of bitcoin is the long time to confirm one transaction

espicially nowadays, it almost takes 2 days. On the other hand Bitcoin is a good project and good idea but it will transform other project like ETH,other project in future. Becuase Bitcoin isn't produced ownself. It's supported by blockchain. Blockchain technology bigger than bitcoin. Bitcoin is just first coin that is created by blockchain technology. and so many companies,countries,people,devoloper dont know this.

Every corporate knows this and they were already start create the new digital currency of their by forking the blockchain technology. Even some international banks planned and they inprocess to create the coins.
After the updation of blockchain 2.0, bitcoin is so secured and anonymous now. I don't think anyone gonna attack it.
Nekutasa

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:38:10 AM

To be fully honest, that its not stable. It fluctuates way too much and the amount is big too. However, it has been pretty stable as of late. Lets hope it stays this way!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - Most Trusted & Popular Bitcoin Game @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
choppork

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 07:53:30 AM

To be fully honest, that its not stable. It fluctuates way too much and the amount is big too. However, it has been pretty stable as of late. Lets hope it stays this way!

Isn't that, like, a good thing? If it didn't fluctuate, we will not get this chance to sell at $1200. If it only stayed somewhere around 500-700$, we will all be devastated since we can't trade bitcoins at all. Bitcoin fluctuation is only a bad thing if you buy at a high price. For example, if you buy today, you might still see bitcoin fluctuation as a bad thing because your investments can become a loss when the price goes down. But as an old bitcoiner, our coins have already made profit even if the price of bitcoin goes down to $1000 or even $900.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 12:24:31 PM

Isn't that, like, a good thing? If it didn't fluctuate, we will not get this chance to sell at $1200. If it only stayed somewhere around 500-700$, we will all be devastated since we can't trade bitcoins at all. Bitcoin fluctuation is only a bad thing if you buy at a high price. For example, if you buy today, you might still see bitcoin fluctuation as a bad thing because your investments can become a loss when the price goes down. But as an old bitcoiner, our coins have already made profit even if the price of bitcoin goes down to $1000 or even $900.
Fluctuation is an advantage for bitcoin because it helps people/traders/investors to make profit either on a pump or dump because that is the game works not only in bitcoin but also other stocks in the market that you can find. If you ask me the only concern or disadvantage of bitcoin is the halving which increases the mining difficulty and lower the mining rewards which makes the miners suffers.
tazmania

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:40:59 PM

Price fluctuations gives us an opportunity to make profits regularly if price would remain stable then we need to wait for a long time to make profits out of it and not all would love that scenario to hold their coins for a long time so I don't think that price fluctuations is an disadvantage of bitcoin in fact its an advantage that allows us to make profits and traders and investors will surely love the price fluctuations which will help them in making regular profits and if price would remain stable for a long time then many people would switch their investment to some other products from where they can make regular profits.

g2com (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 17, 2017, 08:37:33 PM

Thanks for everyone's discussion. For the past few months, I've been researching on how improvements can be made to Bitcoin blockchain. It's undoubted that Bitcoin's scalability has become its Achilles Heel. Among the proposed solutions, I found Emin Gun Sirer's Bitcoin-Ng more promising. It separates proof-of-work and transaction validation processes into two blockchains. The proof-of-work and transaction validation are not much related, as proof-of-work's sole idea is calculating SHA-256 hash billions of times. It is de facto a leader election mechanism in an anonymous network. In Bitcoin source code, the mining and transaction validation are handled by different threads. Therefore, after decoupling the two processes, transactions can be verified without mining time. However, the major flaw of Bitcoin-Ng is that the leader node must always stay reliable, otherwise the network shall break apart. 

My design is to elect a validator committee that's dynamically every few minutes through competition of mining. After the committee is set, they vote for each transaction and propagate the transaction block to the entire network. If any validator fails it will be excluded from the committee. The block size and time will be dynamic so that they can scale up in future.

The other issue of Bitcoin is its hard coded 2100 million total supply cannot keep up with its growing demands. Therefore, Bitcoin shall always be subjected to price manipulation as more people are saving instead of spending. A cryptocurrency should have a stable price to function as a medium for exchange. I think the limit of supply should be removed. Instead, the supply of the currency should be adjusted according to the market conditions.
Jewell

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 17, 2017, 10:32:06 PM

Price fluctuations gives us an opportunity to make profits regularly if price would remain stable then we need to wait for a long time to make profits out of it and not all would love that scenario to hold their coins for a long time so I don't think that price fluctuations is an disadvantage of bitcoin in fact its an advantage that allows us to make profits and traders and investors will surely love the price fluctuations which will help them in making regular profits and if price would remain stable for a long time then many people would switch their investment to some other products from where they can make regular profits.
yes that is right that price fluctuation is giving us good opportunities to invest our money there, but i think the most important is that to find out the right time to buy bitcoin and then also sell it in the right price.
laredo7mm

Activity: 1498
Merit: 537

View Profile
March 17, 2017, 10:54:58 PM

yes that is right that price fluctuation is giving us good opportunities to invest our money there, but i think the most important is that to find out the right time to buy bitcoin and then also sell it in the right price.

Price fluctuation is an opportunity to make profits if you buy at a right time and sell when price goes higher then your entry price and you need to continue this process in order to make regular profits and that is the best way to play bitcoins and we cannot afford to miss even a single opportunity of making short term profits by not taking advantage of price volatility.
artows21

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 09:23:52 AM

The biggest disadvantages from bitcoin in my opinion is still vulnerable hack and bitcoin is always used for the negative activities. That is seems to me that the weakness of bitcoin makes someone difficult to believe with bitcoin.
That is one of the things that could prevent bitcoin to be accepted as payment. In addition, many scam it will affect my opinion. If bitcoin can be overcome, I believe bitcoin will be accepted as payment.
When you deql with bitcoin you just have to know that there are risks anyway.
SoulBargain

Activity: 234

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 10:05:57 AM

The biggest disadvantages from bitcoin in my opinion is still vulnerable hack and bitcoin is always used for the negative activities. That is seems to me that the weakness of bitcoin makes someone difficult to believe with bitcoin.
That is one of the things that could prevent bitcoin to be accepted as payment. In addition, many scam it will affect my opinion. If bitcoin can be overcome, I believe bitcoin will be accepted as payment.

In other words, bitcoin is a currency with no concrete thing to hold i.e. paper money or coin or in other way bitcoin just exist in a cyberworld which most people doubt so much as its reputation became so bad from the news they have heard from hacking up to scamming. And also everyone in the cyberworld is hard to identify whether they are real or hiding their true identity -- a freedom of being anonymous. So we can say that the biggest disadvantages of bitcoin is earning the trust of most of the people especially those who are afraid to risk (that is me before I joined bitcoin).

Second, bitcoin appear to be complicated at first glance (this is also me as my friend encourage me in joining bitcoin) because it has a lot of technicalities. But when my interest regarding bitcoin drives me out, I began to enter it and ask my friend like "what is this address that this site is asking me to give in order to withdraw my bitcoin" a simple question of a beginner from the perspective of an experienced ones but a confusing thing in a beginner's perspective. When I've learned what is this address in the bitcoin world, I was like "Ahhhh so that's it? I thought it was something rather complicated or confusing." I guess you get my point there so I will not elaborate it more.

Next might be people finding it questionable. It's mysterious without enough knowledge of what really is bitcoin but if that person is an eager one to seek an answer for his questions then he will came to know its wonderful world but still questions continue to rise. We can see this like our world, people came to know a lot about this world whether its round but soon as they know it they began to question again, a much harder one, "does the universe extends infinitely?". My point is that as long as there is curiosity together with interest, this disadvantage might become a great advantage.

So here it is my top 3 biggest disadvantages of Bitcoin as for a beginner's point of view. As you can see, those aforementioned were my personal experiences. Sorry if it appears to you that it is almost self- centered post of mine but I wish my point here isn't blurred by it  Grin . And I hope that you relate with this since all of us started as a beginner, starter, newcomer, newbie, rookie or anything you can add similar with this. And yep, even though my questions were answered, there is always a new question and some of this question might be left unanswered like how our the life of humanity, of everything begun.  Wink
Mikellev

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 10:33:21 AM

As per my understanding, whatever is there in this life there will be advantages and disadvantages of everything, likewise bitcoin also has disadvantages like price fluctuation, not common among the public because people don't trust so easily as people think it is a scam which is not the case because it is decentralized and the value can change at anytime so most the people don't trust for that reason.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 95 »
  Print  

Jump to: