Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:04:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin needs to do a "stock split" and add new (sub)names  (Read 3258 times)
zeetubes (OP)

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:39:06 PM

I always ask anyone I'm talking with whether they've heard of bitcoins. 99% of the time the answer is no (and I mix with some clued up people). Within a minute most of them are intrigued. But now when they hear that the price is ~$150+ their response is, "Oh it's too high. It's risen too fast, too quickly." If however, the price was $1.50 or even $15+ they would probably jump in and spend just as much money. It's a psychological thing, like buying a thousand penny stocks vs spending $600 on a single share of Google. I think the bitcoin powers that be, need to think about naming the equivalent dimes, nickels and pennies of the BTC world so that newcomers aren't faced with sticker shock. One of the most common newbie misunderstandings is that bitcoins aren't divisible and a well presented naming convention would really help. Just my ever humble opinion, but what do others think? Do those names exist already?
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gab1159

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:45:30 PM

I don't think it's a good idea at all to split the bitcoin into multiple currencies. As time goes by, people will learn to get used to it and you'll get people saying "if only it were at 150$ I would invest".

Making things even more confusing is that last thing the bitcoin economy could use. It's already a lot for the common people who aren't used to work with encryptions...
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:46:26 PM

It's split into Satoshis already.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Missionary

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 11:46:40 PM

I agree with the basics of your post, but I think that merchants will sort this out over time. As people are going to be seeing prices in mBTC or uBTC they will also start thinking about them in those terms.

I am an evangelical missionary heading to China. Donations are welcome here (dedicated wallet): 1H8iswayfTaRb6oe2WjMCRmchBJHYyfx9z
You can find more information about my plans here: http://btcmission.com
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:47:28 PM

I always ask anyone I'm talking with whether they've heard of bitcoins. 99% of the time the answer is no (and I mix with some clued up people). Within a minute most of them are intrigued. But now when they hear that the price is ~$150+ their response is, "Oh it's too high. It's risen too fast, too quickly." If however, the price was $1.50 or even $15+ they would probably jump in and spend just as much money. It's a psychological thing, like buying a thousand penny stocks vs spending $600 on a single share of Google. I think the bitcoin powers that be, need to think about naming the equivalent dimes, nickels and pennies of the BTC world so that newcomers aren't faced with sticker shock. One of the most common newbie misunderstandings is that bitcoins aren't divisible and a well presented naming convention would really help. Just my ever humble opinion, but what do others think? Do those names exist already?

tell'em about litecoin then ?
David M

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:49:39 PM

It's split into Satoshis already.

+1.  The OP is thinking like Bitcoin as shares.

There was a time that Australian companies use to split their stock at $20 because "$20 is a lot for one share".

It took our banks and miners to bust that little meme.
zeetubes (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:08:57 AM

A stock is probably a wrong analogy for me to use; but if a bitcoin is worth $1000 or more in the near future (doesn't hurt to dream :>), then someone buying e.g. a can of soda at a 7-11 for  0.0006btc is going to feel a little uncomfortable/unfamiliar working out what that is in dollars, pesos or their respective currency etc. Again, I'm just thinking out loud, in a virtual sense.
zeetubes (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:11:12 AM

In that example I'm pretty sure someone would feel more at ease being told the price was say 6 mBitcoins.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 12:14:54 AM

I am configuring all equations and handling of my website to deal in mBTC to the user.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:15:23 AM

In that example I'm pretty sure someone would feel more at ease being told the price was say 6 mBitcoins.

So merchants will quote prices in mBTC.  Problem solved.
Doesn't change the fact that (in your example) 1 BTC is $1,000.

If your friends are so foolish as to value things on the nominal value (100 metrics tons of manure is worth more than an ounce of gold so invest in shit litterally) then just tell them the price in mBTC.
"Bitcoin is still pretty cheap with a mBTC going for only $0.16").

BTW In your example that is a $6 soda but then again with as much as the federal reserve is printing that might be realistic circa 2020 or so.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:16:28 AM

I would rather have 1 share of Berkshire Hathaway than 10 millions share of a random penny stock.
Frost

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:37:24 AM

Me for example... I only buy in with 0.10 B each month depending on how much I can afford. I own 0.16 B now but still can support and enjoy all this. So buying 0.1 works pretty great like buying 1.0 I guess. As you can see.. I jumped in even if 1 b is 164 USD. I just jumped in with smaller amounts. Thats all. I believe a lot of other people will do that too if they want to support the ideology behind bidcoins and if they want to be part of all that.
XXthetimeisnowXX

Activity: 252

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:40:38 AM

I don't think it's a good idea at all to split the bitcoin into multiple currencies. As time goes by, people will learn to get used to it and you'll get people saying "if only it were at 150$ I would invest".

Making things even more confusing is that last thing the bitcoin economy could use. It's already a lot for the common people who aren't used to work with encryptions...

I Think this is a great idea!!! my friends and family wanted to buy some but when they here the price they say "no way, i cant afford that. there are too many misconceptions with it.

also do you really think that people will get confused? i think even hobos understand what a 1$ 5$ 10$ 20$ 50$..probably not a 100$ though Wink

my point is that we can get the basics of four or five options now but ya dont make it to complicated. I think a split or a mbit is a good idea, like one tenth of a bitcoin. you can buy .1 for a more moderate price instead of the minde blowing 20, no wate 48, no 62, no 120 no 145 no 168 no 245 no 560 no 882 no 1350 haha
BitVegas

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 07:33:04 AM

Yes this will be a big problem....

... Once bitcoins hit $100 million each and the minimum buy in is $100 for one satoshi

Until then I'm not worried

ruski

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 07:50:34 AM

... Once bitcoins hit $100 million each and the minimum buy in is $100 for one satoshi

You raise a valid point.

The entire world economy is $80 trillion. Let's say Bitcoin replaces the USD entirely, for a net worth of $15.685 trillion (2013). Assuming it doesn't take until 2140 to do so, we'll be working with about 18 million BTC.

With a market cap of 15.685 trillion, each BTC would be worth $871 389. So it's never going to hit $100 million that way.

However, to get that big, Wall Street would obviously be heavily involved and screwing around heartily. The total derivatives market is about $791 trillion. Assuming they can reach even a quarter of that with BTC, and start further inflating the price of BTC to serve as a base for a new fractional reserve currency (don't lynch me) $197.75 trillion. That gives each BTC a value of $10 986 111. A satoshi will then be worth 10 cents.

I'd say we will never have to worry about the indivisibility of a satoshi. Ever.

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 07:57:43 AM

you are absolutly correct about this matter. mbtc, so called millibitcoins are the answer. 1 btc = 1000 mbtc. its a language thing. the community must start to use mbtc instead of btc. and the entire game starts another cycle. btc are expensive now, that is an psychological obstacle for the people who want to join in. bitcoin (better: mbtc) is the first currency that is deflationary and inflationary at the same time. got to love it.
if mbtc is accepted, those with btc will become incredibly wealthy. we have all steaks in this game. please folks, play it right!
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 08:15:49 AM

I don't want people who don't understand the basics of Bitcoin to invest in it.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 08:28:37 AM

I don't want people who don't understand the basics of Bitcoin to invest in it.

you got a point here, but it looks like we are needing them to feed the momentum. i am running kinda short in fiat. i wish i could put more in, but it is not possible.
Ozymandias

Activity: 644

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:30:28 PM

If one bitcoin is $100million and 1 satoshi is 1/100million bitcoins, wouldn't 1 satoshi = $1 in your example?
Canaanite

Activity: 246

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:33:24 PM

I cant agree with you more...
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: