Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:14:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How profitable it is to setup your own mining pool?  (Read 8122 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1362

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 06:36:31 PM

I'm interested in setting up my own mining pool for an specific altcoin. But before I start with this task, I want to know how profitable it is to run a mining pool at home. I'm looking into using one of my Raspberry Pis to get started with it, but I'm not sure if it would be enough to handle the mining pool.

Also, if you happen to know of a good mining pool calculator that will help me calculate my profits, then feel free to share it with me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Grin

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rapta

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 04:59:24 AM

If you are hosting it at your home on a PI, it should only cost you time and a little bit of electricity.  Smiley
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2016, 04:45:00 PM

If you are hosting it at your home on a PI, it should only cost you time and a little bit of electricity.  Smiley

Thanks for your reply. I'm very tempted to run my very own mining pool with a Raspberry Pi, as I want to generate some profit out of it by the pool fees. If I manage to make it a competitive mining pool, then I'm pretty sure that I can make the most out of it. I just wanted to know if it was just worth doing it, depending on the profits generated. The good thing I have, it is free electricity since I live with my parents. So, this would maximize my chances for profiting with it.

Anyways, if you happen to know what results (in terms of profit) would be expected with making your own mining pool, please let me know.  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
daboehla

Activity: 490
Merit: 258

View Profile
December 05, 2016, 06:10:26 PM

Pool business is very hard.

I currently have 2(3) pools running. One in Europa and one in China.

For now it was negative profitable, because dedicated server costs much.
You cant offer a pool that is running on your raspberry xD
To slow to sync network and send blocks fast to network. Which is a very importand thing!

So a good dedicated server costs about ~80€/Month. Next I am using a good cloudserver for database and a server for web.
A good pool hardware costs about 100€/Month.
Then you have only one mining node, without backup fallbackup, nothing.

So you need 8GH/s on Ethereum if you charge 1% fee to pay the hardware.
And thats not easy to find such Hashrate for a new pool. I spend a lot of time on forums, chats, talking with people.

If you hit that point you make profit, but for that you will have spend many days ^^

For now I have a good hashrate (13GH/s + 20GH/s + 0.5GH/s), but I also have to pay 4 dedicated and 3 cloud servers.
So at the end of the month there is not much remaining.
virasog
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1161

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 02:17:55 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'm very tempted to run my very own mining pool with a Raspberry Pi, as I want to generate some profit out of it by the pool fees. If I manage to make it a competitive mining pool, then I'm pretty sure that I can make the most out of it. I just wanted to know if it was just worth doing it, depending on the profits generated. The good thing I have, it is free electricity since I live with my parents. So, this would maximize my chances for profiting with it.

Anyways, if you happen to know what results (in terms of profit) would be expected with making your own mining pool, please let me know.  Smiley

I encourage you to give it a try but don't expect it to make any serious profit for you. It will be a good experience for you as you already have the hardware which you are planning to test and you don't need to pay for electricity. I haven't had any experience in running a pool but I heard that it is not easy to do and profit is not much.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 12:42:45 AM

To slow to sync network and send blocks fast to network. Which is a very importand thing!

So a good dedicated server costs about ~80€/Month. Next I am using a good cloudserver for database and a server for web.

And thats not easy to find such Hashrate for a new pool. I spend a lot of time on forums, chats, talking with people.

If you hit that point you make profit, but for that you will have spend many days ^^

For now I have a good hashrate (13GH/s + 20GH/s + 0.5GH/s), but I also have to pay 4 dedicated and 3 cloud servers.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with running a mining pool. If it's too much work involved, then I think that I may not be able to achieve this all by myself, thus I would be needing a team to accomplish this task. As for the Raspberry Pi, I had the feeling that it was not enough for the mining pool considering the number of users, performance needed, and many other factors. That is why, I'm going to need a powerful system to get up and running.

Also, I'm considering into getting a VPS for this, instead of maintaining the hardware at home, which would save me a lot of time and effort.  Smiley

I encourage you to give it a try but don't expect it to make any serious profit for you. It will be a good experience for you as you already have the hardware which you are planning to test and you don't need to pay for electricity. I haven't had any experience in running a pool but I heard that it is not easy to do and profit is not much.

Thanks for the tip. In the meantime, I would just do it for fun and learning, until I get the necessary hardware and team, to be able to make a stable mining pool capable of handling many users, and traffic. The good thing that I have is the free electricity, but it won't last for long.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to grow my knowledge about mining pools, as time goes by.  Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
daboehla

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 06:34:53 AM

To learn how to setup a pool, I would use a simple vm or an old unused pc.
If you get it running you can rent a dedicated one.

It is possible for one man to manage a SIMPLE pool Wink
M5M400

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

supportXMR.com

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2016, 08:28:05 AM

Running a Monero pool, started early October. I can confirm every word daboehla said.

The hardest part is getting people to mine on a newcomer pool. No one wants to be the first to direct hash to an unproven pool.

In october there were ~6 new XMR pools emerging of which only 3 are still online. the other ops threw in the towel

supportXMR.com :: EU(DE) based Monero pool :: 0.6% fee
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 06:43:15 PM

Profitability all depends on your cost to run and how much hashrate is needed to find a block.

Rule of thumb usually is that you want at least enough hashrate to find 1 block per day.

mettalmag
Legendary

Activity: 1084
Merit: 1003

≡v≡

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 12:04:04 AM

Regarding to own a pool, I myself maintain a small farm about 60k h/s. How do you think, should I make a pool for only those miners? I also have spare proliant microserver which will do it's job. I also tried some tutorials on virtual machine for zec pool but I know that's not gonna work that way, is there something to start from scratch ?
M5M400

supportXMR.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 11:02:30 AM

Regarding to own a pool, I myself maintain a small farm about 60k h/s. How do you think, should I make a pool for only those miners? I also have spare proliant microserver which will do it's job. I also tried some tutorials on virtual machine for zec pool but I know that's not gonna work that way, is there something to start from scratch ?

60kh cryptonote? that's about as much as my pool is currently hashing. If you want to set up your own pool to be independent of pool fees, you could set up monerodo OS, which is a linux distro maintained by /u/gingeropolous that has a cryptonote pool preinstalled. You can find more info on moneroworld.com.

I think it depends if you want to put the effort in in maintaining your own pool. If you like tinkering, go ahead Smiley If not, join a pool with small fees (like supportXMR.com Wink ), sit back and relax Smiley

mettalmag
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 11:06:34 AM

60kh cryptonote? that's about as much as my pool is currently hashing. If you want to set up your own pool to be independent of pool fees, you could set up monerodo OS, which is a linux distro maintained by /u/gingeropolous that has a cryptonote pool preinstalled. You can find more info on moneroworld.com.

I think it depends if you want to put the effort in in maintaining your own pool. If you like tinkering, go ahead Smiley If not, join a pool with small fees (like supportXMR.com Wink ), sit back and relax Smiley
atm we are mining zcash with 59,000h/s power. I'll try what you suggested, installing it on virtual machine and playing with it, in fact I'm paid to maintain that farm and if I can have % directly to my wallet that would be great
M5M400

supportXMR.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 11:15:10 AM

atm we are mining zcash with 59,000h/s power. I'll try what you suggested, installing it on virtual machine and playing with it, in fact I'm paid to maintain that farm and if I can have % directly to my wallet that would be great

I don't know how much 60kh in terms of Zcash is. I was talking about Cryptonote (Monero). So in this case monerodo won't help you. If 60kh in zcash is enought go mine one block per day on average or more, I'd go for it and look for a opensource pool software to set up

mettalmag
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 11:21:09 AM

I don't know how much 60kh in terms of Zcash is. I was talking about Cryptonote (Monero). So in this case monerodo won't help you. If 60kh in zcash is enought go mine one block per day on average or more, I'd go for it and look for a opensource pool software to set up
It's the amount of 330 RX480 8Gs. MOnerodo setup seems quite easy, I'll try it just for learning purposes. Unfortunately I did't find any good tutorial or even dedicated OS for eth or zcash either.
M5M400

supportXMR.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 12:14:42 PM

Jeez - 330 (modded) RX480 would amount to 240KH on monero, or 400$/Day... how much is it making in ZEC currently?

-edit- miscalculated

mettalmag
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 12:29:50 PM

Jeez - 330 (modded) RX480 would amount to 240KH on monero, or 400$/Day... how much is it making in ZEC currently?

-edit- miscalculated
350-380$ a day, I know some coins are more profitable, but my employer hopes zec price bump and so do I, but honestly I would like to switch to more coins rather than zec and eth only
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 04:34:32 PM

Thanks for the tip, mate. I thought that it required some skill and several people, to get this operation up and running, but now that I know this, I will try it on a VM for fun and learning. However, as soon as I build up a powerful PC, then I would be able to setup a mining pool, that would be able to handle many users at the same time.

Nevertheless, there is one thing that I've been curious about, and that is how can I setup the interface for users to log into the pool, and manage their account? Do you happen to know of any good open source script that would help me with this task?  Huh

Profitability all depends on your cost to run and how much hashrate is needed to find a block.

Rule of thumb usually is that you want at least enough hashrate to find 1 block per day.

Thanks for the information, mate. I guess that I'll figure how much I would earn with it, by running the mining pool myself. As the total hashrate would be the combination of the miner's hashrate on the pool, then the chances to find a block would become higher, depending on the coin being mined.  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
daboehla

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 05:17:07 PM

Thanks for the tip, mate. I thought that it required some skill and several people, to get this operation up and running, but now that I know this, I will try it on a VM for fun and learning. However, as soon as I build up a powerful PC, then I would be able to setup a mining pool, that would be able to handle many users at the same time.

Nevertheless, there is one thing that I've been curious about, and that is how can I setup the interface for users to log into the pool, and manage their account? Do you happen to know of any good open source script that would help me with this task?  Huh

I use this open-source as base: https://github.com/sammy007/open-ethereum-pool
Here is all incl. backend + frontend. Very simple to install.

Software is for ethash.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 08:16:33 PM

I use this open-source as base: https://github.com/sammy007/open-ethereum-pool
Here is all incl. backend + frontend. Very simple to install.

Software is for ethash.

Thanks very much mate. I have found this very useful and straightforward to easy up within minutes. It is perfect for making my own mining pool, with ETH based coins, but in case you find out one for Bitcoin as well, then I would greatly appreciate it.

As for the Bitcoin based mining pool, I would be able to adapt it towards other altcoins which are BTC based, to help me with this project. Nevertheless, this ETH mining pool you gave me would be of great use to me when I start making up my own mining pool for Expanse sometime in the future.

Looking forward for more great stuff like this.  Wink

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
sxafir

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 08:01:00 AM

How to open pool in Windows 10 aniversary?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: