Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:20:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Frustrated! Can someone honest help me purchase $1000 to BTC today?  (Read 1231 times)
krncoolwater (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:04:42 AM

YES, It IS really frustrating!

Today is makes ONE week trying to get bitcoins...

1) My balances now are just from free web faucets. They took several days to arrive to my wallet (so much for the "instant" payments!) and so small that the fees to move them are bigger, (at least when they are recent, I read somewhere).

2) I also posted an advertisement on localbitcoins without luck so far.

3) Right now there are more than 8000 "identities" before mine to be reviewed on mtgox, so I can't use that either yet. This seems that is going to take a month or more, slower than opening up a new company or business in Spain, and THAT is saying something!

4) Yesterday I was about to buy though bitcoin SMS, but when I saw the calculations; ONLY half or less of the fiat money goes to buy BTCs and the rest is keep by someone else... I refused to get ripped off.

If I am also "retarded" may be someone (anyone) "wiser" could enlighten me and tell me what I am doing wrong...

---
1HV1Ycu5d6Ff2jUCp965Ec9dmswwfGxuwi

I feel you.  Did everything work out for you?  I hope so...just tried coinbase AGAIN and still max limit.  Just signed up for liberty dollars and had to take a phone call and it logged me off.  Tried getting back online again and it will not take the PW Liberty Dollar gave me!  I only signed up for liberty dollars since someone here recommended me localbitcoins.com.  Found a buyer but they accept Liberty Dollars.  Now I learned they accept other forms such as Netteller.  Spend the past hour BSing and still no BTC. Now Im going to have to read up and calculate all the fees as I learned independant exchanges has their own rules and fee on-top fees.  F me...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
krncoolwater (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:05:16 AM

Where are you located, geographically speaking?  I think your only hope is a local face-to-face transaction.

Germany!  and you? 
krncoolwater (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:46:54 AM

cryptocurrent.com

Email: info at cryptocurrent dot com

It's a shame their site is down at a time like this.

They are legitimate, very safe, but you pay for the added anonymity (5% fee).
That is my preferred choice of purchasing coins, I do it in bulk there ($2000+ transactions).
Go to bank of america, give them cash with crypto's account, e-mail crypto to confirm, boom. Within minutes, BTCBTCBTC .

Another options is bitinstant, but it's kind of lame because you have to go through a 3rd party, and it gets messy with a paper trail. The fee is less, however.
Last time I used bitinstant I had to break up $1500 into three payments of $500, then give my full name and address and explain to the clerk at the money order service what it was for.
Bitinstant took a very short time to transfer as well. Both services are great, but I'm a customer for life with crypto. GREAT service! Bitinstant is slightly more obscure, in my opinion.

*is not a cryptocurrent spokesperson*

Best of luck!

Just emailed them and waiting...thanks!  Also Im going to pass on bitinstant too much tech difficulty on their part.
malaimult

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:58:22 AM

i can wait to see those days when everyone will sell and not buy when everyone will panic. coinbase change the strategy bitinstant froze btc since now it's 1 dollar in 3 hours its 4 so they have to gain as much as possible. Try dwolla and exchange your funds here. 1 btc here 2 btc there and you will get your 1000 btc in a couple of hours  Wink

josvazg

Activity: 23

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 10:01:06 AM

1) My balances now are just from free web faucets. They took several days to arrive to my wallet (so much for the "instant" payments!) and so small that the fees to move them are bigger, (at least when they are recent, I read somewhere).

3) Right now there are more than 8000 "identities" before mine to be reviewed on mtgox, so I can't use that either yet. This seems that is going to take a month or more, slower than opening up a new company or business in Spain, and THAT is saying something!

4) Yesterday I was about to buy though bitcoin SMS, but when I saw the calculations; ONLY half or less of the fiat money goes to buy BTCs and the rest is keep by someone else... I refused to get ripped off.

If I am also "retarded" may be someone (anyone) "wiser" could enlighten me and tell me what I am doing wrong...
---

Don't get upset. Try to ignore people who comes into your way and post meaningless statements - it is part of the game. Get over it. Read my post above. I have been in your shoes as well. First thing you would want to do is go register at coinbase, and be patient. Continue your search for btc, but keep on trying at coinbase.

Good luck.

Thanks, but coinbase doesn't seem for me.

I live in Spain, and they don't seem to support Euros exchange or European/Spanish banks.
krncoolwater (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 10:01:39 AM

i can wait to see those days when everyone will sell and not buy when everyone will panic. coinbase change the strategy bitinstant froze btc since now it's 1 dollar in 3 hours its 4 so they have to gain as much as possible. Try dwolla and exchange your funds here. 1 btc here 2 btc there and you will get your 1000 btc in a couple of hours  Wink

Read dwolla is lacking in the tech or customer service.  Im so screwed...waiting on ePiSKing to reply back.  Tried coinbase again and still nothing...its been almost three hours and still nothing...
krncoolwater (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 10:03:12 AM

---

Don't get upset. Try to ignore people who comes into your way and post meaningless statements - it is part of the game. Get over it. Read my post above. I have been in your shoes as well. First thing you would want to do is go register at coinbase, and be patient. Continue your search for btc, but keep on trying at coinbase.

Good luck.

Thanks, but coinbase doesn't seem for me.

I live in Spain, and they don't seem to support Euros exchange or European/Spanish banks.

Coinbase sucks man.  It almost seems like they just want the numbers so they can raise more money.  F the customer is what I seem to get from Coinbase
FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 10:59:09 AM

Posting to get out of the newbie forum. However I've been lurking since the dawn of time, so listen if you like.

Like the mechanic's triangle: Anonymity, Speed, and Security are all working against each other here, and generally speaking you can only pick two. Most of us will agree you can't compromise too much on security. Exchanges are already a compromise, see how many have been hacked etc. I'm still pro-Bitfloor but even they have quite a lot of bad blood out there. So let's assume you aren't going for the Paypal for coins thing.

Speed: Yeah, you want it with the price rising, got it.

Anonymity: Sorry, almost everywhere that is fast is not anonymous -- you're flashing an ID somewhere along the line. In the US, the safest fast route with anonymity is something like BitInstant, you could always pay a hobo to pay the CVS clerk if you're paranoid.

Germany rules out a lot of things, but localbitcoins.com etc. is still the best bet for anonymity. Wear a Guy Fawkes mask and find a local dude. Should be able to happen today.

FYI, afaict, Coinbase is at least putting on a good show / genuinely responsible, by limiting transactions. They could make off with a fortune with this predictable-enough rise in value. Pyramid-scheme style, then cut and run. Frustrating yes, but I actually hate Gox alot more for overextending and oversubscribing themselves. Laggy interface, goes down with DDOS and invokes their 85% market share to panic sell... etc etc. Not happy with Gox lately if you can tell... anyway good luck.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 11:03:44 AM

And, on second thought... BitStamp does SEPA transfers, those are quick. Anonymity can probably be had with some creative thinking, at least in the sense that it could be untraceable back to YOU.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
krncoolwater (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 11:25:16 AM

Posting to get out of the newbie forum. However I've been lurking since the dawn of time, so listen if you like.

Like the mechanic's triangle: Anonymity, Speed, and Security are all working against each other here, and generally speaking you can only pick two. Most of us will agree you can't compromise too much on security. Exchanges are already a compromise, see how many have been hacked etc. I'm still pro-Bitfloor but even they have quite a lot of bad blood out there. So let's assume you aren't going for the Paypal for coins thing.

Speed: Yeah, you want it with the price rising, got it.

Anonymity: Sorry, almost everywhere that is fast is not anonymous -- you're flashing an ID somewhere along the line. In the US, the safest fast route with anonymity is something like BitInstant, you could always pay a hobo to pay the CVS clerk if you're paranoid.

Germany rules out a lot of things, but localbitcoins.com etc. is still the best bet for anonymity. Wear a Guy Fawkes mask and find a local dude. Should be able to happen today.

FYI, afaict, Coinbase is at least putting on a good show / genuinely responsible, by limiting transactions. They could make off with a fortune with this predictable-enough rise in value. Pyramid-scheme style, then cut and run. Frustrating yes, but I actually hate Gox alot more for overextending and oversubscribing themselves. Laggy interface, goes down with DDOS and invokes their 85% market share to panic sell... etc etc. Not happy with Gox lately if you can tell... anyway good luck.

Thanks for your honest opinion.  Yes, Paypal sucks.  Did you notice eBay has also raised fees?  I hate all these fees.  The fees are too high. 
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 11:59:43 AM

Thanks for your honest opinion.  Yes, Paypal sucks.  Did you notice eBay has also raised fees?  I hate all these fees.  The fees are too high. 

Same. Although, tbh, I factor fees into costs for most things, without thinking about it... you kinda have to. Banks move your money (and make way more than necessary, most agree) and charge for the security and reliability. It'd be a pain to do it any other way (except maybe BTC and the future). I use Amazon like mad. I pay for shipping of course, but as it happens, the total cost with the fees is less than the cost of the items in local stores, typically. Because local stores must pay for many things that Amazon has streamlined out -- clerks when the store is empty, utilities, a marketable location, etc. Amazon can efficiently run one warehouse in who-cares-where, and it is still cheaper.

Soon I expect people will flock to things like Bitcoin for the same reason we shop at Amazon. It just makes more sense; the old way is obsolete. Happily, instead of killing off mom-and-pop shops, we can gladly undercut the banking cartels.

-Citizenfive
krncoolwater (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:02:22 PM

Thanks for your honest opinion.  Yes, Paypal sucks.  Did you notice eBay has also raised fees?  I hate all these fees.  The fees are too high.  

Same. Although, tbh, I factor fees into costs for most things, without thinking about it... you kinda have to. Banks move your money (and make way more than necessary, most agree) and charge for the security and reliability. It'd be a pain to do it any other way (except maybe BTC and the future). I use Amazon like mad. I pay for shipping of course, but as it happens, the total cost with the fees is less than the cost of the items in local stores, typically. Because local stores must pay for many things that Amazon has streamlined out -- clerks when the store is empty, utilities, a marketable location, etc. Amazon can efficiently run one warehouse in who-cares-where, and it is still cheaper.

Soon I expect people will flock to things like Bitcoin for the same reason we shop at Amazon. It just makes more sense; the old way is obsolete. Happily, instead of killing off mom-and-pop shops, we can gladly undercut the banking cartels.

Thanks for the honest answer but I fear if we dont say something the fees will get higher.  I hope the free market comes up with a solution as gov intervention is always bad news for us the consumer.  

BTW, where do you get your btc from?  and how?  Im asking you since you seem to know more then me and have experience, thanks in advance...

Smiley Grin Cheesy
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 07:51:22 PM

Thanks for your honest opinion.  Yes, Paypal sucks.  Did you notice eBay has also raised fees?  I hate all these fees.  The fees are too high.  

Thanks for the honest answer but I fear if we dont say something the fees will get higher.  I hope the free market comes up with a solution as gov intervention is always bad news for us the consumer.  

BTW, where do you get your btc from?  and how?  Im asking you since you seem to know more then me and have experience, thanks in advance...

Smiley Grin Cheesy

No problem.

I'm in the states, so I've got it easier from the start. I've tried many ways. Bought from Bitfloor back in the days when Roman had a Chase account -- set up deposit online, deposit slip and cash or traveler cheque etc at Chase, deposit into his account. Amounts associated it to my account on Bitfloor. Basically how it works now except it is thru "LocalTill" which is not really different except its Bank of America. Those banks both have so many locations its like Starbucks, so convenient and never far. Getting money back has always been free ACH transfers. Like SEPA or a wire but processes overnight on business days.

I've also used BitInstant on weekends or when in a hurry, in the form of BTC to an address of my choice. Just set it up and bring cash to any number of places like CVS, Walmart, etc. Works like a money order, instant to an address.

--btw, the jury is kinda out on whether or not BitInstant is in trouble after this month's meteoric rise. Their algorithm almost certainly lost them a lot of money in this market. Many reports of delayed or nonexistent transactions, lost funds, etc. I used them only a week ago, but im feeling cautious currently until I see problems addressed. There are also those who would tell you to stay away from Bitfloor which has been hacked before, which can always mean an inside job, though that seems unlikely after analysis of the blockchain. I'm pro-Bitfloor because Roman responds quick always, and the site doesn't lag or get affected by silly Gox shenanigans.

I guess somebody should clarify that it is Bitcoin itself that offers anonymity. Achieving anonymity involving fiat transfers is much trickier and often grey area. That is why f2f like localbitcoins is the recommended method for anonymity. There are dead drop services, and all sorts of stuff. As you said, the free market finds a way. Necessity is the mother of all invention.

-Citizenfive
btmstr

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:10:32 PM

The only way you can anonymously get bitcoins is to mine them. if you buy bitcoins anywhere online you will need a bank account.
i got my wallet at blockchain, and bought my coins from them. printed out an invoice from their site, went and payed cash at a Moneygram plac,e and had my bitcoins in my wallet 2 hours later. I think they have a $500 limit per perchase. its easier than buying from an exchange if you dont have a bank account. Blockchain doesnt require ID but Moneygram does.
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:27:55 PM

The only way you can anonymously get bitcoins is to mine them. if you buy bitcoins anywhere online you will need a bank account.
i got my wallet at blockchain, and bought my coins from them. printed out an invoice from their site, went and payed cash at a Moneygram plac,e and had my bitcoins in my wallet 2 hours later. I think they have a $500 limit per perchase. its easier than buying from an exchange if you dont have a bank account. Blockchain doesnt require ID but Moneygram does.

Categorically untrue. Though virgin coins are potentially the most anonymous of all. But did you mine with a pool? What if their IP logs are raided or hacked? It still takes a bit of thought to guarantee anonymity. Did you get absurdly lucky solo? What did you do to mask your IP? Blockchain.info attempts to identify the discoverer of a block. That links your IP with your virgin coins in their new address.

Ways around all this of course, from mixing services to proxies or wifi poaching, but you see my point I hope.

Also you can "easily" achieve untraceable anonymity without virgin coins if you know what you're doing.

-Citizenfive
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: