Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:58:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the point of Terracoin?  (Read 1367 times)
btcash (OP)

Activity: 968
Merit: 515

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 11:23:12 AM

I was wondering what people see in Terracoin.

Terracoin has 2 small tweaks:
- fast transaction confirmations -> Litecoin
- fast difficulty adjustment -> Doesn't look like a good idea right now Grin

So it is basically a vulnerable copy of Litecoin.

community-driven : based on the bitcoin currency, terracoin regularly include updates from both communities contributors.
Who is behind Terracoin? Why is he not on Bitcointalk or Terracointalk?
I don't see any interaction with the community like coblee,  Sunny King or Balthazar do.

Correct me if I am wrong but Terracoin is just another useless alt like Bytecoin or Novacoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spacegoat

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

We are connected. you are me I am you.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:31:56 PM

I am the developer of Terracoin.  it is me Josh from BFL.  you talkin smack?  don't make me throw this jalapeno.

yeah baby yeah
VforVictory

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:33:53 PM

community-driven : based on the bitcoin currency, terracoin regularly include updates from both communities contributors.
I don't see any interaction with the community like coblee,  Sunny King or Balthazar do.

Correct me if I am wrong but Terracoin is just another useless alt like Bytecoin or Novacoin.

Considering NVC is both LTC and PPC... You wonder what the real useless coin is.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:38:59 PM

I don't see any interaction with the community like coblee,  Sunny King or Balthazar do.

Right now the difficulty problem needs to be fixed, everyone knows this, and it's a work in progress. Fast difficulty adjustment is a great idea, it just needs to be found a way to do it right now that ASICS are in the wild and people like to use them.

Litecoin is lucky because there are no litecoin ASICS, yet, but if it becomes valuable enough it will both a)need them and b)suffer the same problem.

The dev behind terracoin is on github and sourceforge. Coblee, Sunny and Balthazar are all great figures, but they take a hell of a lot of unfair shit-talking in the name of their cause. Not every programmer wants to be every jerkoffs doxing wet dream. Hence, the privacy. But Dev exists and is responsive. Just doesn't go in for the drama of this place. I think we can all appreciate that.

Terracoin has additional features that are more then just "tweaks". The primary one is the transaction notifier feature, which allows you to get signed notifications of transactions on your account, without needing to run a local copy of Terracoin. Very, very, handy and will be developed as time goes on.

Litecoin, while it's safe from the current generation of ASICS's it's also requires a significant rewriting of every bitcoin application out there to be functional. TRC's bitcoin similarity, allows it to be nearly dropped right in. Meaning once it hits some network effect level, BTC services can quickly add TRC functionality.

The problem right now is how to fix the difficulty issue. That's it. The coin isn't even broken, right now it's just SLOW. So, a new temp fix is coming, we will see how things get fixed after that.

Patience my alt-coin subforum!

more or less retired.
CryptoJunky

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 01:50:06 PM

I don't see any interaction with the community like coblee,  Sunny King or Balthazar do.

Right now the difficulty problem needs to be fixed, everyone knows this, and it's a work in progress. Fast difficulty adjustment is a great idea, it just needs to be found a way to do it right now that ASICS are in the wild and people like to use them.

Litecoin is lucky because there are no litecoin ASICS, yet, but if it becomes valuable enough it will both a)need them and b)suffer the same problem.

The dev behind terracoin is on github and sourceforge. Coblee, Sunny and Balthazar are all great figures, but they take a hell of a lot of unfair shit-talking in the name of their cause. Not every programmer wants to be every jerkoffs doxing wet dream. Hence, the privacy. But Dev exists and is responsive. Just doesn't go in for the drama of this place. I think we can all appreciate that.

Terracoin has additional features that are more then just "tweaks". The primary one is the transaction notifier feature, which allows you to get signed notifications of transactions on your account, without needing to run a local copy of Terracoin. Very, very, handy and will be developed as time goes on.

Litecoin, while it's safe from the current generation of ASICS's it's also requires a significant rewriting of every bitcoin application out there to be functional. TRC's bitcoin similarity, allows it to be nearly dropped right in. Meaning once it hits some network effect level, BTC services can quickly add TRC functionality.

The problem right now is how to fix the difficulty issue. That's it. The coin isn't even broken, right now it's just SLOW. So, a new temp fix is coming, we will see how things get fixed after that.

Patience my alt-coin subforum!

Well put CrazyRabbit - hopefully TRC doesn't have too much trouble recovering from this. It's definitely an interesting coin. The developer(s) integrated some interesting features into TRC.

FJBourne

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:01:11 PM

Thanks for the info rabbit

BTE- 8UvdysHU3HugiAGSWDn9hTvEbCe1kJmkZ5
human

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:39:10 PM

What are the interesting features of TRC? I can not see any. It is broken from the base up. For me it is definitely a very cheap copy of BTC, just look at the website of it. And faster confirmations are as unreal as with LTC.
btcash (OP)

Activity: 968
Merit: 515

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 07:30:57 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2013, 08:03:54 PM by btcash

Thanks for the useful reply crazy_rabbit. But I didn't get one thing:
I don't see how scrypt affects merchants and other services.
flound1129

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

www.multipool.us

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 08:03:00 PM

Thanks for the useful reply crazy_rabbit. But I didn't get one thing:
I don't see how scrypt affects merchants and other services.

From a merchant point of view all cryptocoins are practically identical.

Multipool - Always mine the most profitable coin - Scrypt, X11 or SHA-256!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: