Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:41:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can't complete Scanning Transaction History and other short stories  (Read 618 times)
micalith (OP)

Activity: 894
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 05, 2016, 11:25:42 PM

I'm not sure how much my history of running attempts may be affecting the circumstance, so I'm explaining the process I've been through. Apologies for the long verbosity!

After a fresh databases load, and importing some cold wallets, they all showed 0.0 balances. So I closed Armory down and started up again, having deleted the .armory/databases folder again and killed ArmoryDB and bitcoind to be sure that it would run. After about 12 hours, Databases were built and the transaction history was scanned, and the correct balances showed. So far so good. I then tried to send the total of one of the wallets, minus a transaction fee of 0.001 BTC. This created the popup as in this first screenshot, and no transaction was sent.

log file: http://pastebin.com/qf6jJ9gD
screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/vVsjw

After giving it five minutes, I tried fiddling to get it working. I adjusted the transaction fee to 0.0009, then clicked on 'Satoshi...', then clicked on the '?' next to 'Satoshi...'. read the popup which I can't remember now, then Armory quit unexpectedly.

log file: http://pastebin.com/wQKY1NDh

Tldr: armory crashed upon pressing the 'Satoshi..' option, not long after I got a failed transaction popup.

After starting Armory again, I started getting the ArmoryDB shutdown bug. I then got it up and running with bitcoind and armory from separate terminal windows to prevent the ArmoryDB bug thanks to the efforts of goatpig and achow101 in the Armory 0.95.1 is out thread. All seemed to be going as I’ve been familiar with for the last few Armory loads in this machine; after about 8 hours of building databases and scanning transaction history, it was about 60%. However, it got stuck on 63% of scanning transaction history (1 second). It was stuck like that for 3 hours. Then I tried viewing the dbLog.txt file continuously as described by Carlton Banks https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1657365.msg16794443#msg16794443. It then sat on
Code:
-INFO   - 1480955500: (BlockchainScanner .cpp:650) scanned from height #397817 to #398731
for a couple more hours until I decided to reboot. Sorry, no log file here.

I rebooted and started again, with fingers crossed. This time the Databases were built in a minute or less (yes I deleted the .armory/databases folder this time too), and after just 10 minutes the Scanning Transaction History is 5% '3 hours'. Usually the '3 hours' mark is only after several hours. As last time, the time remaining displays '1 second' from somewhere around 50% onwards. It got farther than the previously stuck scanned height, but only a few scanned height declarations later, disconnected from Bitcoin node, then about a minute later, generated the following popup:

screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/j9w4V
logfile: http://pastebin.com/nMzK6Qvq

Since then I've tried a factory reset, 'Delete settings and rescan (lightest option)', which has the system ever disconnected from the bitcoin node, and terminal running Armory displaying,
Code:
(WARNING) ArmoryQt.py:2233 - Tried to start bitcoind, but satoshi already running

logfile: http://pastebin.com/vs4hsKip

any chance there's a quick fix anyone might know of? Otherwise, should I uninstall and reinstall Armory, or do a full factory reset?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the ridiculously long story.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 12:11:40 AM

You don't seem to have a lot of RAM to work with here. Try starting with the three program manual startup (Bitcoin Core, ArmoryDB, then ArmoryQt) but when you start ArmoryDB include this option: --ram-usage=1

micalith (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 12:57:01 AM

You don't seem to have a lot of RAM to work with here. Try starting with the three program manual startup (Bitcoin Core, ArmoryDB, then ArmoryQt) but when you start ArmoryDB include this option: --ram-usage=1

Thanks. I got ArmoryQt: command not found so used armory in stead, of course with  --ram-usage=1. I ran each of the three in a different terminal.

in the ArmoryDB terminal, I'm getting parsed block files with incrementally increasing numbers, but the armory terminal still gives me the more recent problem (WARNING) ArmoryQt.py:2233 - Tried to start bitcoind, but satoshi already running, and Armory tells me to 'Please close Bitcoin-Core'. It's odd that this wasn't happening before, but is now consistent.

The RAM use is 1.4GiB of 3.8GiB.

I actually managed to export the private key for the wallet of interest, so I'm all good, but would like to solve this anyway in case it ends up useful to anyone. I'm leaning towards some kind of fresh install, then running with reduced RAM as per your instructions

edit: I did a file system search for 'ArmoryQt' and it's only found in update-notifier-crash gz filenames
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 04:11:34 AM

Thanks. I got ArmoryQt: command not found so used armory in stead,
edit: I did a file system search for 'ArmoryQt' and it's only found in update-notifier-crash gz filenames
That's odd. Are you building Armory yourself or did you install from the .deb file?

in the ArmoryDB terminal, I'm getting parsed block files with incrementally increasing numbers, but the armory terminal still gives me the more recent problem (WARNING) ArmoryQt.py:2233 - Tried to start bitcoind, but satoshi already running, and Armory tells me to 'Please close Bitcoin-Core'. It's odd that this wasn't happening before, but is now consistent.
Go to File > Settings and uncheck the box that says something like "allow armory to manage bitcoind for you". Then restart ArmoryQt.

micalith (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 08:43:36 AM
Last edit: December 06, 2016, 08:54:51 AM by micalith

That's odd. Are you building Armory yourself or did you install from the .deb file?
I installed it with
Code:
dpkg -i armory_0.95.1_amd64.deb
I remember that my very first install attempt might have been following the instructions given for compiling it, and then might well have not uninstalled it right before running the 0.95.1 install. I remember that I used a few purge, commands.

Go to File > Settings and uncheck the box that says something like "allow armory to manage bitcoind for you". Then restart ArmoryQt.
Yeah I did that one already.
edit:, and yet it was ticked again when I just started up again! So 'Let Armory run Bitcoin-Core/bitcoind in the background' is now unchecked again, and it's loading the databases.

It must have gotten checked again when I did the factory reset. Thanks for the pointers! I'll report back on whether it successfully loads all the way in a few hours.
micalith (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 04:53:29 PM

Hi, just checking in to say that it loaded to the end this time. Thanks for the RAM adjustment suggestion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: