Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:26:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any way to speed up low priority transfers?  (Read 695 times)
mrfixit (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:35:59 PM

So when I was playing around with my wallets Friday night, I tested sending $1 from one to another. I opted not to pay a fee, figuring that I was just testing transactions and didn't care how long it took. However, the transaction is still listed on blockchain as unverified with unknown network propagation. Does anyone have a good estimate of how long the transaction will take to clear or a way to speed it up? Would another larger transaction going to the same wallet bring this small transaction with it? Not a huge deal, but it's just odd.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dfc

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:26:49 PM

Transaction fees are your best bet to speed it up. You should also make sure your bticoin client has had time to connect to enough nodes.
majorX

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:33:07 PM

So when I was playing around with my wallets Friday night, I tested sending $1 from one to another. I opted not to pay a fee, figuring that I was just testing transactions and didn't care how long it took. However, the transaction is still listed on blockchain as unverified with unknown network propagation. Does anyone have a good estimate of how long the transaction will take to clear or a way to speed it up? Would another larger transaction going to the same wallet bring this small transaction with it? Not a huge deal, but it's just odd.

what is the tx id?
low priority tx without fee can be send from blockchain.info wallet, but after 1 day it is removed and you can try send again, afaik.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:13:09 PM

Which wallet did you use that allowed you to send the transaction without a fee?

Once the transaction is sent, there is currently no easy way to "speed it up".  It could sit there for hours, days, or even weeks.  In theory it could sit there unconfirmed forever.

A completely separate transaction that just happens to be going to (or coming from) the same address will have no effect at all on the likelihood of that previous transaction being confirmed.

Hopefully in the future miners will look not only at the fees on a transaction, but also at the fees on transactions that use the previous transaction as an input.  This would allow recipients to create a fee that would expedite transactions when the sender fails to do so.  Unfortunately, as far as I know, there are no miners that do this currently.

As has been mentioned already, depending on the wallet you used to create the transaction, it is possible that your wallet will eventually stop trying to broadcast the transaction and it will slowly disappear from the memory pool of all the peers on the network.  At that time the bitcoins will revery back to the wallet that you attempted to send them from and the transaction will no longer exist.

If you are not using a wallet with this feature, then it is technically possible to replace the previous transaction with a new transaction that uses at least one of the same inputs but which includes a fee.  It isn't an easy process, essentially you are attempting a double-spend attack on yourself, but it can be done.
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:18:45 PM

If you use wallet which allows rescan of blockchain (like Multibit) then by rescanning it from the date of the no-fee transaction (or perhaps a day before that just to be sure) should make this transaction non-existent for your wallet and you will be able to try again.
If I understand it correctly, if you do nothing after rescan then the transaction would still have chance to get confirmed (in some far future). But the point is that you can actually try to send different one (with the fee) which will "win".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: