Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:05:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Gavin and Evoorhees May Be Giving Wrong Advice  (Read 5042 times)
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:46:49 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2013, 06:13:55 AM by John Smith

The devs and bitcoin foundation have to be level-headed about this, and show some financial responsibility. They can't act as buy hypers. No one knows how far the price will go down again once something happens with an exchange, or some other issue like that.

You *can* be sure, though, that if that happens that we will stick around. We play the long game. Cryptocurrencies (and Bitcoin at that) are an idea whose time has come and won't just go away, but adoption *might* go slower than what people are hoping for now. It will be a hard and even painful climb to get there, not an all-expensed-paid trip to an island.

Bitcoin was never meant as an investment but as a way to freely send bits of currency around the world. So that's what the focus is on: adoption.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jimbobway (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:49:06 AM

sorry, but I think Voorhees has some very rational, level-headed advice.  for sure he believes bitcoin is going to go astronomical, and he is devoting all his efforts in support of this belief.  but he's also correct in the belief that it could easily falter.  in the short term  Smiley

+1

What the fuck OP, you want some of the most influential people in bitcoin land to go full pumper-style on bitcoin as an investment?
What happens to the people who take out student loans etc. to buy bitcoin should the price go down 15x like it did in the previous bubble/correction ?  Yeah sure, anybody that held back then is now a whole lot richer, but some disillusioned people sold too.

Honest to god, if I were Gavin or Erik I would be getting so fed up with having to defend yourself all the time from whatever venom some people feel they need to spit out next...

I said they should keep quiet.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:26:03 AM

sorry, but I think Voorhees has some very rational, level-headed advice.  for sure he believes bitcoin is going to go astronomical, and he is devoting all his efforts in support of this belief.  but he's also correct in the belief that it could easily falter.  in the short term  Smiley

+1

What the fuck OP, you want some of the most influential people in bitcoin land to go full pumper-style on bitcoin as an investment?
What happens to the people who take out student loans etc. to buy bitcoin should the price go down 15x like it did in the previous bubble/correction ?  Yeah sure, anybody that held back then is now a whole lot richer, but some disillusioned people sold too.

Honest to god, if I were Gavin or Erik I would be getting so fed up with having to defend yourself all the time from whatever venom some people feel they need to spit out next...

I said they should keep quiet.

Ok, sorry, I reacted too quickly and made an ass out of myself.
Zomdifros

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:08:48 AM

Do you think Jesus became popular because people said, "Jesus is a good guy, but don't believe everything you hear about Jesus."  NO!  People said, "Jesus can walk on water!  You will go to heaven!"  Look at where Christianity is now.

If only people at the time were rational and would keep it to "this guy is great talker, but it's not like he can do supernatural things, obviously".

On-topic:

I think Gavin and Erik have a right to their opinion just as you and I have. They are often asked by the press if it would be a good idea to invest in Bitcoin and saying that it's unwise to put all your eggs in one basket is excellent advice, under any circumstance.

In fact, although I am quite certain Bitcoin will survive and will go to $1M per coin, I keep telling friends and family never to invest more than they are prepared to lose. They can always decide to follow their own judgment.

moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:16:54 AM

That's like being angry at the Tor developers for warning Tor  is 'experimental software' so due to the success of Silk Road they should've instead lied and ran around like salesmen pushing Tor on everything promising phony guarantees in order for you to have been the first SR and rich now.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:36:11 AM

What's wrong with warning people from "investing" their livelyhood into an experimental project run out of control way before its prime?
Rodyland

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:56:34 AM

WOW.

Are you for real ? Are you seriously annoyed that someone on the internet didn't tell you to put all your money (and more) into a brand new, never been done before "thing"?

Try this piece of advice then: put all your money plus all you can borrow into LTC .       

Everyone "knows" that a litecoin "should" be worth 1/4 what a bitcoin is worth.   

No? Didn't think so.   

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
skull88

Activity: 683

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:08:35 AM

"Only invest time or money into Bitcoin that you can afford to lose"
Seems the only correct advice someone can give  Huh

I would be more offended if he would have said "sell everything you have, borrow as much as you can and put it all in Bitcoin  Cool"

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
oleganza

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 09:09:50 AM

What I tell to people is this:

1. Bitcoin in my opinion is a huge thing that can transform everything.
2. No one knows what will actually happen, there were no historical precedents.
3. Do not put more money than you can afford to lose tomorrow. Do not borrow anything, do not put more than 50% of your savings, do not touch money you already have made plans for. It's tempting, but just don't.
4. Before selling more than $10 bucks, learn about Bitcoin, how it works, why it works, its weaknesses, political associations etc.
5. Be careful about viruses, passwords, lost backups, bugs, human mistakes, panics on exchanges, DDoSes etc.
6. Check and double-check and triple-check before doing anything. Play with small sums before jumping in.
7. Never blame anybody except for yourself.
8. You most probably will have disappointment at some point in time. You will be scammed, your money will be stolen or lost. Prepare for it.
9. Never trust anyone including this message.

It's a great journey ahead of us, but it's bumpy. Don't come without equipment and proper training.

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:19:17 AM

You didn't answer to your own title..

Again, tell me why Gavin and Evoorhees are wrong?

What dirty work are you talking about?

I want Evoorhees and Gavin to admit that bitcoin will not go to zero.

As for dirty work it is self explanatory.

It can go to zero. Something much better could come around and replace it. Gold isn't lasting forever people say... So why should BTC?

Probably in future we could make something better if large group of people put some interest in it...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
jerkoff

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:42:02 AM

Gavin and Evoorhees are trying to please everyone by attempting to put everyone's thoughts on cruise control, while almost everyone else is either hitting on the accelerator or slamming on the brakes.  Gavin said, "Only invest time or money into Bitcoin that you can afford to lose", and also "When will #bitcoin speculators start chasing another squirrel?"  I think when it comes to speculation Gavin and Evoorhees should stay quite quiet and keep to themselves.  They are just attempting to be guy that tries to be always politically correct so when shit hits the fan they are in a position to say, "I told you so."  However, they have nothing to lose when the price goes up.  Why are people not angry at Gavin for telling people to only invest their money they are willing to lose at $35-$40?  Now, bitcoin is nearing $200?  I should have bought more bitcoins!

It's a basic equation of risk vs. reward.
In poker and other forms of gambling it's known as EV calculations (expected value).

Say you make a double or nothing bet of $100 with 60% chance of winning. EV is then (60% * 200) + (40% * 0) - $100 or $20, meaning that every time you place that bet you win $20 on average if you make this bet many times. It is however pointless and untrue to claim that if you do this just once and win to claim that you found a system with 100% ROI.

You have to look forward to properly evaluate risk and reward. You can't look back and say "I could have gotten 400% return on my money the last few weeks" because you ignore the risk that you took upon you at the start.

So why don't people take their life savings and bet on sports when the strongest team is playing one of the weak ones with 90% chance of winning ? Because the unexpected can always happen.

Saying you should only invest what you can afford to lose is just sound general advice. And it's something we've seen many times in the past. Bubbles are stronger the more ignorant people are about general financial risk. Around 2000 many internet stocks gained 20 to 50 times its initial value, many stocks easily went from $2 to $100 within months. And the same thing happened, many heated discussions from fanatics that insulted and ridiculed anyone talking about the chance of a crash, who could only see one thing: if I put all my life savings into this thing I'll get rich. In general, once you feel you have to rush and get in today or else you fear missing out on a great opportunity, it'll usually end in tears.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:46:29 AM

otherwise it would pop like 2011, ppl lose fate, coin dies, miserably. Although, if you ignore what they say, ignore the price, and justify it yourself, you would come to a conclusion as "Dump all your shit into bitcoin".
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:52:51 AM

I'm not saying that one should lie about bitcoin, but one should explain bitcoin in all of its glory about how it can change the world.  Smiley

as you wrote, it CAN change the world.  It is a possibility, not a certitude.

Beepbop

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:32:18 AM

Do you think Jesus became popular because people said, "Jesus is a good guy, but don't believe everything you hear about Jesus."  NO!
YES! Even in the early Christian church, the leaders of the church were criticizing people who they thought were preaching wrong things about Jesus.
blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 10:50:47 AM

You want people on the internet to give you investment advice (for free!) so that you can blame someone else if something goes wrong. Sorry, that's not how it works, you'll have to make your decisions yourself.

If you still insist otherwise, I'll make a deal with you: Tell me how much money you have and I'll tell you a couple of things that you can invest in.

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
ccl

Activity: 175

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:04:33 PM

"Warning signs at the entrance to roller coasters are meant to help guests visiting theme parks decide if riding the ride will be safe for them. These warning signs offers helpful information about the condition of the ride, such as if it's bumpy, goes upside down or fast. Things to consider before boarding a roller coaster include your personal fears and health conditions. It's up to you, the visitor, to use common sense regarding the decision to ride or not."..

http://www.ehow.com/info_8236061_warning-signs-roller-coasters.html

sit back relax enjoy the ride Smiley

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading.
Get paid weekly for your signature.

1GTJ2DhqSPHBTEjG7GCjz6XLYZhU1hEz2a - thanks for donating Smiley
ninjarobot

Activity: 761

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:56:59 PM

Do you think Jesus became popular because people said, "Jesus is a good guy, but don't believe everything you hear about Jesus."  NO!  People said, "Jesus can walk on water!  You will go to heaven!"  Look at where Christianity is now.  As Max Keiser said, the crypto-christ has returned, and his name is Satoshi Nakamoto!

I'm not saying that one should lie about bitcoin, but one should explain bitcoin in all of its glory about how it can change the world.  Smiley

Okay Jimbo, time for you to lay off on the Kool-Aid for a while Smiley
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 11:26:52 PM

Gavin said, "Only invest time or money into Bitcoin that you can afford to lose

Sound advice.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
MashRinx

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 12:36:39 AM

Gavin said, "Only invest time or money into Bitcoin that you can afford to lose

Sound advice.

Absolutely.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is spending too much time looking in the rear-view mirror.  There may be a lot of people who are quite stressed right now because of what MIGHT happen when Mt Gox opens back up in about 90 minutes, because they 'bought more coins" at $200+ and panic-sell because other exchanges are at $75 - $86 right now.

You can't could have.  I could wish I would have bought in more when I first found out about Bitcoin in Jan 2012, but I can't could have either.  Blaming someone else for your perceived lost opportunity because they were (and probably always will) suggest caution is an unwillingness to take responsibility for your own actions, or lack thereof.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 12:42:28 AM

Haha, if only Gavin and Erik had pumped bitcoin more we wouldn't be in the mess. 

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: