Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:24:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What BitCoin could learn from life (or why bitcoin community deserves a spanking  (Read 1471 times)
shamaniotastook (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 11:09:52 PM

first of all, i think it's funny how many arm-chair quarterbacks i see...everyone offering to hire a professional to do this, or pay a developer to do that...but what's in shortage? that's right...technical developers...why? because what we do is not easy. you wanna-be hackers and side-show marketing/sales/management types have no-one to peddle your snake-oil here...

i firmly believe that EVERYTHING needed to take BitCoin to the next level is right here in this community. What's needed is less quarterbacking and more actual effort. I, for one, have an idea that i've been working on. But rather than blow it about and make a big deal, i just keep working on it until it's ready for prime-time. but i'm not just in here blabbering about it, or proposing someone do it, or offering to pay someone to do it, i'm just doing it! what I feel is right.

now i'm a developer and others have other skills. i am not writing test cases for my code, for example, not even unit tests, though i am fully testing of my code and it's pristine (in my coding style), and fully commented (well, almost). But my point is that I am doing my part, in what way i feel is best, and I think that what's needed is for leaders not to stand up and point which direction everyone should go, but simply everyone should start following those who are producing...

for example:

if someone starts a code review of the client with the intent of deriving a spec for an API wrapper class, or even to identify where to 'split' functionality between client/server, whatever...then help with the review if you have that skill...if not, then you can help with setting up testnodes, preparing test-plans and use-cases, or whatever it takes...but it's not just about quality of development. the community needs to expand beyond discussions of finney attacks or the 51% attack, etc., and start embracing discussions of open web standards like NoSQL, HTTPS, OAuth, JSON, HTML5, etc., and building applications that are stable, do not 'attack/spam' the blockchain and move the community forward.

but sitting back on your pompus asses shouting out plays from the comfort of your lazy-boy just isn't going to get anyone anywhere...

true leaders don't shout 'hey, there's an iceburg', they turn the fucking ship! so actually do something, or get the hell out of the way of those trying to get things done!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:19:37 PM

What BitCoin could learn from life (or why bitcoin community deserves a spanking

first of all, i think it's funny how many arm-chair quarterbacks i see...

You're missing a bracket at the end of the thread title

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
grau

Activity: 836
Merit: 1021

bits of proof

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 03:12:52 PM

i am not writing test cases for my code, for example, not even unit tests, ...
Are you Satoshi?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 03:16:31 PM

You sound like the perfect person for a project I was thinking about...

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 04:23:41 PM

Shout out those plays a little louder will you old chap, not everyone can hear you! Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:26:35 AM

now i'm a developer and others have other skills. i am not writing test cases for my code, for example, not even unit tests

Um?  In any other area this might be not that bad but we are talking about irreversible money here.  Sorry not really sure why you wanted to include this is your explanation/rant/thesis-thing but it kinda derailed my thought process.  You obviously know about the merits of unit testing, you obviously know you should be, and yet ...
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:35:20 AM

Ok, as a developer I can sympathize with the sentiment to some degree, but as an entrepreneur who's gotten a few (small) startups off the ground, I think you have to respect the value of other skillsets a little more. Good leadership, good marketing, good design, are all also very important. Most startups really need to fire on all cylinders to be successful. I'm appreciating this more and more as time goes by.

Yes, you can get lucky and have a one-hit wonder; ie, you build it, and then they come (and therefore you only needed technical talent), but that's rare. Most of the time you need a great *team* with a variety of skillsets.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
pretendo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:40:07 AM

OP, if you are a skilled and experienced programmer that is good with back-end stuff and datamining, message me.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:38:55 AM

Cool, a doer.

Send me a link to your code and I'll start building tests, use cases porting it to multiple platforms whatever you like for it .... reserve the right to quarterback after the real work is done though.

MashRinx

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:15:58 AM

Did someone say they were giving out spankings, or was that in another thread.?
Just curious...
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:25:32 AM

Umm... Unit tests are pretty useful... Doing a serious project without them is like replacing a thousand of repeating words with a text editor without the replace command. A Major pain...

BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:04:11 AM

Nothing wrong with having an idea and hiring more technical people to carry out that idea for you, as long as you reward them financially for doing so.

There's a lot of people who have great ideas and are willing to put money into but they don't have the technical no how so they need to hire people.  On the flip side I know a lot of engineers who can code very well but wouldn't know the first thing abotu running a business or marketing and sales etc etc. 

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:20:01 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2013, 05:45:32 AM by John Smith

but sitting back on your pompus asses shouting out plays from the comfort of your lazy-boy just isn't going to get anyone anywhere...

true leaders don't shout 'hey, there's an iceburg', they turn the fucking ship! so actually do something, or get the hell out of the way of those trying to get things done!
I have to agree that this always bothered me. For what started as an open source community, there's a lot of talk here, but very few people that actually pick up their keyboard and contribute. We can use more doers. But on the other hand I have to say it's already much better than, say, 1-2 years ago, when I even left the forums due to trolling and noise.

BTW we can use more and better testcases for the bitcoin core, too Smiley Feel free to help out!

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
auzaar

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:32:13 AM

What BitCoin could learn from life (or why bitcoin community deserves a spanking

first of all, i think it's funny how many arm-chair quarterbacks i see...

You're missing a bracket at the end of the thread title

Still not fixed, we are trying to help here but OP is not doing his  JOB
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:59:37 AM

Just curious...

Thread promises spankings, delivers middle-management pep talk.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 06:21:06 AM

Just curious...

Thread promises spankings, delivers middle-management pep talk.

Rah-rah-rah! ... WHACK!
Boom-t-shikka-boom-t-shikka ... WHACK! WHACK!
La-la-la! ... WHACK!

... better?  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: