Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:45:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EDIT: AMD drivers 13.1 likely to blame --- Newbie & CGminer Immediate Crash  (Read 1555 times)
Mathrian (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:23:29 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2013, 04:55:25 AM by Mathrian

Edit: Removed drivers again, this time replaced them with 13.3 betas and so far Bitminter is working. Im having trouble getting CGminer to log in to a pool but thats likely just my incompetence. So far I think Im okay, still having issues with GUIminer but I think the biggest issue is past.

Heya all, I up and decided to try and mine for bitcoin as I have a nice gaming pc, twin 6950's in Crossfire and from what I understand that is not horrible for mining. So I attempted to get a miner running. I am running Windows 7

I had issues with GUIminer as it first was giving me a message about invalid hardware or something. I can't remember the exact message but from what I understand it meant that when they were being double checked they came back as invalid. Not that it matters anymore as GUIminer refuses to open, no crash message or anything, doesn't show up in task manager, but does show up in hidden icons by the time, however it promptly disappears when I mouse over it.  

After this kept happening I removed all my amd drivers with the uninstaller, used ccleaner to clean the registry, then used driver cleaner pro to delete all ati drivers. I then restarted, ccleaner again, dcp again, and again. I then installed 13-1_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql, and AMD_Catalyst_12.11_CAP2 (second one is profiles). After this GUI still does not start and it was at this point I started trying CGminer.

Anyway... I don't know a whole lot about how to work command lines, but I understand the BASIC principle. So I decided to try CGminer. I set it up using this tutorial.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showwiki.php?title=Tutorials:Getting+Started+With+CGminer+BFGminer

and in the bat file I put this:
cgminer -o http://api.bitcoin.cz:8332 -u WorkerName-p Password
I am in this one attempting to join the slush pool, and yes I have an account.

and named it StartMining.bat
The problem is, when I double click this bat file the command prompt appears. Says "[2013-04-08 17:15:08] Started cgminer 2.11.4" and then I get a cgminer.exe has stopped working and I have to close the command line. Obviously this is not supposed to happen and I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

If anyone can help me out I would be very grateful and I apologize for any blatant stupidity, its been about 24 hours since I working on this so I am a little out of it. Have a great day Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Raen

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:34:08 AM

As far as I know, your video cards shouldn't be crossfired together. But I don't think that would crash your GUIMiner..
Mathrian (OP)

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:42:42 AM

As far as I know, your video cards shouldn't be crossfired together. But I don't think that would crash your GUIMiner..

I disabled crossfire, no difference.
Also I forgot to say before, but when I had uninstalled all my drivers and restarted I was able to open up GUIminer and (I believe) mine correctly using my CPU. It went at about 2Mh/s as opposed to the ~350 with the GPU it was running at before, not that it was actually giving me any valid shares though.
majinx

Activity: 47

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:55:37 PM

I have win 7, HD4670M card, i5 cpu.

I've done soooo much driver sweeping, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling.

Guiminer-Scypt would immediately crash....well technically I would see the guiminer logo in my system tray, but no screen, and then it would close out (confirmed by task manager showing it running, then it just crashes)

I did uninstall all ATI drivers and such....I then installed 12.8 (but the thing is, it didn't install a display driver, I guess because of incompatibility with my card) but it did install the APP SDK.
Now 13.1 and 12.6 both have display driver I can install....I tried both and anytime I install the display driver from 13.1 or 12.6, I get the no screen, guiminer logo in system tray crash.

Thing is if I uninstall the display driver, and I guess let it run stock windows vga driver for my card, guiminer opens up with no issue......but heres the catch, since I have no "real" display driver install, my graphics card is not listed as a opencl available device, although my i5 CPU is listed.

I guess I just have to find the right display driver version for guiminer not to crash and list my graphics card....:-/
nawazish1

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

PXC Research Team

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:04:27 PM

I have win 7, HD4670M card, i5 cpu.

I've done soooo much driver sweeping, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling.

Guiminer-Scypt would immediately crash....well technically I would see the guiminer logo in my system tray, but no screen, and then it would close out (confirmed by task manager showing it running, then it just crashes)

I did uninstall all ATI drivers and such....I then installed 12.8 (but the thing is, it didn't install a display driver, I guess because of incompatibility with my card) but it did install the APP SDK.
Now 13.1 and 12.6 both have display driver I can install....I tried both and anytime I install the display driver from 13.1 or 12.6, I get the no screen, guiminer logo in system tray crash.

Thing is if I uninstall the display driver, and I guess let it run stock windows vga driver for my card, guiminer opens up with no issue......but heres the catch, since I have no "real" display driver install, my graphics card is not listed as a opencl available device, although my i5 CPU is listed.

I guess I just have to find the right display driver version for guiminer not to crash and list my graphics card....:-/

I have the same problem with HIS HD7950. have you found a working driver?

PXC: PmfFgdwwcXPa1QUmtVJevdPfHhmhztHHCv
BTC: 1P22tVABsd85L7kkpTmohCv5vK2BypFz3H
Phoenixcoin (PXC), a decentralised open source digital currency.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: