Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:30:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: solo litecoin mining question  (Read 761 times)
mrchu001 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:42:12 AM

Hey guys, I am trying to start solo mining LTC. Right now, I am trying SoloEasy with cgminer. What are your guys experience with it? Or do you have something that might work better for me?

And just to clarify, I have a single AMD7870 gpu running.

Thanks in advanced.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Raen

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:43:33 AM

You probably won't have much success with that hardware without mining in a pool.
RikoOnWeb

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:49:42 AM

Why solo? Especially with that hardware you would be much better off in a pool.
mrchu001 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:52:18 AM

You guys really think so? What would the timeframe be to unlock a block with my HW? I only decided to solo mine LTC because I was under the impression that it was easier than BTC. Would it be more profitable to pool mine LTC or BTC with my HW?

Thanks.

edit: i am currently getting 280kh/s. Is that decent?
RikoOnWeb

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:57:19 AM

You guys really think so? What would the timeframe be to unlock a block with my HW? I only decided to solo mine LTC because I was under the impression that it was easier than BTC. Would it be more profitable to pool mine LTC or BTC with my HW?

Thanks.

edit: i am currently getting 280kh/s. Is that decent?

http://www.litecoinpool.org/calc?hashrate=425&difficulty=205.77652398

This is an estimate of what you could be getting in a pool vs. expected probabilities of finding a block. I found the hashrate of 425 over here: https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/wiki/Mining-hardware-comparison

I am afraid your 280 is slower than it should be.

Looking at the numbers, it will take you almost a month to get the reward of 25 coins, $4 and change each, versus $260 a month in a pool.
mrchu001 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:02:36 AM

http://www.litecoinpool.org/calc?hashrate=425&difficulty=205.77652398

This is an estimate of what you could be getting in a pool vs. expected probabilities of finding a block. I found the hashrate of 425 over here: https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/wiki/Mining-hardware-comparison

I am afraid your 280 is slower than it should be.

Looking at the numbers, it will take you almost a month to get the reward of 25 coins, $4 and change each, versus $260 a month in a pool.

Hm, why do you think it's slower than it should be? So it's almost the same payout... Is pool mining LTC still more profitable than BTC with my comp?

edit: If anyone can suggest good pools I would greatly appreciate it.
RambJoe

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:08:51 AM

You have to find a block, so when you are mining yourself, you have to wait till it finds a whole block, you don't get anything till you find the block.
mrchu001 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:12:48 AM

You have to find a block, so when you are mining yourself, you have to wait till it finds a whole block, you don't get anything till you find the block.

Wait, so does that mean you are constantly finding partials? Or does it mean that it just takes a long time to compute the block.

Sorry for the newbie questions, I've been trying to read as much as I can.
thedonvon

Activity: 49

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 01:28:54 AM

I am also running a 7870 and am getting about 295 kH/s...i cant get it any better than that.
gpu-threads 2
thread concurrency 5120
intensity 12
worksize 256

Good Luck please let me know if you find other settings you are more successful with!!
mrchu001 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:56:45 AM

I am also running a 7870 and am getting about 295 kH/s...i cant get it any better than that.
gpu-threads 2
thread concurrency 5120
intensity 12
worksize 256

Good Luck please let me know if you find other settings you are more successful with!!

yeah, same :/ hopefully someone can help us out lol
HackneyB

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:08:20 AM

Wait, so does that mean you are constantly finding partials? Or does it mean that it just takes a long time to compute the block.

Basically if you were mining with that card a year ago things would be different.  Today it may take you months or years to get a block. 
Look at it this way - there is a pool which totals 1 TeraHash/second.  It takes that pool 12 hours to get a block and get that 25BTC reward.  Your card pulls 300MegaHashes/second and is basically 3000 times slower than everyone combined in that pool.  So in the long run you will need 36,000 hours to find a solution to a block which is 4 years. 

My numbers are all off by a bit but its the magnitude that matters - you will have to wait years without joining a pool. 
mrchu001 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:12:08 AM

Basically if you were mining with that card a year ago things would be different.  Today it may take you months or years to get a block. 
Look at it this way - there is a pool which totals 1 TeraHash/second.  It takes that pool 12 hours to get a block and get that 25BTC reward.  Your card pulls 300MegaHashes/second and is basically 3000 times slower than everyone combined in that pool.  So in the long run you will need 36,000 hours to find a solution to a block which is 4 years. 

My numbers are all off by a bit but its the magnitude that matters - you will have to wait years without joining a pool. 

alright sweet, thank you.
thedonvon

Activity: 49

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 02:12:44 AM

Mining bitcoin yes this would be correct.  LTC difficulty is much lower and your numbers are definitely off...with that said i do agree it would take a very long time to get your own block.  Pool mining is definitely the way to go.
mrchu001 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:15:09 AM

Mining bitcoin yes this would be correct.  LTC difficulty is much lower and your numbers are definitely off...with that said i do agree it would take a very long time to get your own block.  Pool mining is definitely the way to go.

okay, i'm trying to get cgminer working on my comp and when i try to enter the pool information it crashes everytime. any ideas?
HackneyB

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:20:50 AM

Thanks I missed that point.  Doesn't "the market" factor that in and make LTC cheaper by exactly the factor that it is easier to mine?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: