Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:03:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a rig, which of these cards are best?  (Read 1052 times)
LouReed (OP)

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:26:59 AM

I am going to be ordering parts to build a rig, and I am looking at these two cards. Which one do you guys like better? Or, can you recommend a better one for $300 or less? I have a budget of $1,200 for GPU's, so I will be running 4 of whichever one I choose. Or, is there a better more efficient way to spend $1,200 on GPU? I'd like to mine BTC, LTC, and some other alt coins.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-202-030&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=5&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29#scrollFullInfo

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Mini-Displayport-PCI-Express-Graphic-GV-R795WF3-3GD/product-reviews/B007581QHG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/178-4305296-1471102?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thanks in advance for your input!!
nave
Donator

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:35:25 AM

Of those two I'd recommend the sapphire under one assumption. You're putting 4 of these cards in one rig, if its a closed case the sapphires will blow the hot air out the back of the case, while the gigabyte cards will spew the hot air into the case, making cooling a nightmare. If you're going with an open case or extenders to keep the cards in the open then the gigabyte cards will probably run cooler. The other thing to check is the warranty duration. The sapphires are 2 years, I didn't see anything listed for the gigabyte cards.
alberthendriks

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:37:45 AM

As far as I know you need to consider your GHz. First generation was graphics cards, then came FPGA's and now Asics will come. When you calculate your profits here:
http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/
you will soon reconsider mining (at least that's what I did).
LouReed (OP)

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:54:58 AM

Thanks for the input guys! I will be using this rig exclusively for LTC, but I want to make sure I can still use it for BTC, and other cryptos if LTC takes a shit for some reason.
middlemarkal

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:12:56 PM

Nave comment on the difference in the 2 cards is GOOD.  Grin

It all depends on your type built, closed case with lots of fans or no case on risers.

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: