Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:42:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I secure my wallet  (Read 1050 times)
TheShoura (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Testing

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:25:05 AM

Okay I am very very paranoid about this. I have a decent sized amount of bitcoins to my name right now but they're spread out all over for safety's sake (in several market sites, mining pools, couple of wallets)

Where do I start to make sure my client is secure?

Should I not run my bitcoin client containing BTC online 24/7?

What suggestions do you have to secure my wallet?

What do you do to secure your wallet?

I already do:
password protected encrypted backups to multiple sources
shut down my PC at night that has the client on it
change my passwords often for mining sites and selling sites

If you would like to send me a tip: 1HVGGWGWgHkyh9K8sntkZmXoiopX8Bsvv8

Security: 8452BCD9
ALWAYS gpg ident the person you're about to exchange with!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:14:28 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
nixxle

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:33:18 PM

Running it from a isolated linux-based computer (A) that only connects to the internet to update/receive payments, otherwise, it is off and the HD is encrypted, Its wallet.dat file is encrpyted / hashed and backed-up on some remote server. (A) only receives payments by a second isolated other-linux-flavour-based-computer (B) that connects at the exact same time as (A). Now, you only deposit your savings to (B), which you have configured to automatically deposits everything to (A), during the short time where both systems are on-line.

Whenever (A) reaches a random amount of BTC (lets say between 90 and 990 ), the entire wallet.dat file is encypted, hashed and stored at 2 remote locations. A new wallet.dat is created. Your large sum of money will not attract any attention and you are the only person that knows the intricacies of your well-secured system. Nobody knows how many wallets there are. Nobody knows how much money you own.

At least, that's how I do it...  Tongue

jerfelix

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 02:32:11 PM

Running it from a isolated linux-based computer (A) that only connects to the internet to update/receive payments, otherwise, it is off and the HD is encrypted, Its wallet.dat file is encrpyted / hashed and backed-up on some remote server. (A) only receives payments by a second isolated other-linux-flavour-based-computer (B) that connects at the exact same time as (A). Now, you only deposit your savings to (B), which you have configured to automatically deposits everything to (A), during the short time where both systems are on-line.

Whenever (A) reaches a random amount of BTC (lets say between 90 and 990 ), the entire wallet.dat file is encypted, hashed and stored at 2 remote locations. A new wallet.dat is created. Your large sum of money will not attract any attention and you are the only person that knows the intricacies of your well-secured system. Nobody knows how many wallets there are. Nobody knows how much money you own.

At least, that's how I do it...  Tongue
Why even have your "savings account wallet" online at all, EVER?  Create an offline wallet.dat file, stick it on multiple offline media in multiple locations (encrypted if you prefer).  So it's on 4 CDs and 2 USB devices spread out over 2 or 3 locations.

Anytime you want to add to your savings, send Bitcoins to that address, and verify the transaction in BlockExplorer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: