Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:09:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How testaments will work for Bitcoins?  (Read 1130 times)
beckspace (OP)

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:37:30 AM

How can I securely leave MY Bitcoins for my loved ones?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dickmoney

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:47:36 AM

I don't see why you would, but there's no reason why you can't. There are some guides floating around about how to 'truly' secure your wallet.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 02:52:01 AM

How can I securely leave MY Bitcoins for my loved ones?

Do you mean after you pass on?
I'm sure you can put your mtgox or bitcoin wallet into your will.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
davidsmcnally

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:59:09 AM

Maybe there could be a system where if your BTC client isn't opened for a pre-determined length of time (a few months I suppose), it automatically divides it up properly and sends it out to your loved ones.

I realize that doesn't make much sense, because you have to turn on your computer and log in for the BTC client to do anything. I just thought of it a few seconds ago and typed it out as I was still thinking about it. Maybe someone else can finish that idea.

Or you could just give your loved ones the password for your computer. I know it's hard to trust anyone else with a computer's master password, but if you can't trust your loved ones not to use the password when you're alive, then maybe you should rethink giving them your entire fortune when you pass away. Or you could have a special password just for the BTC client on your computer that's given to your lawyer and they can't show it to anyone until you die, and then when you put it into a computer it sends out your remaining BTC... or something like that...

I realize none of these solutions are completely perfect (yet) and they need to be more thought-out. But that's a really interesting question. Never really thought about that... Just my 0.02 BTC.
beckspace (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:05:45 AM

Do you mean after you pass on?

Yeah, when I pass on. Maybe if I replicate my brain, then I should leave it to me!

I'm sure you can put your mtgox or bitcoin wallet into your will.

How? With the passcodes? All of them? Maybe banks are there for a reason, dealing with money etc. Another kinds of banks shall work in this 'not so different' scenario, and they will play with your Bitcoins like they play with your dollars.
beckspace (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:10:37 AM

Or you could just give your loved ones the password for your computer. I know it's hard to trust anyone else with a computer's master password, but if you can't trust your loved ones not to use the password when you're alive, then maybe you should rethink giving them your entire fortune when you pass away.

I am more inclined with that solution. Give the files to then in a way that are encoded, like a 'personal code', a hint, a little distortion. The objective is counterfeint a possible leak in those documents that you are not promptly aware of.
beckspace (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:26:22 AM

[continuing this thread in Bitcoin Discussion]

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17114.0
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 03:27:57 AM

Or you could just give your loved ones the password for your computer. I know it's hard to trust anyone else with a computer's master password, but if you can't trust your loved ones not to use the password when you're alive, then maybe you should rethink giving them your entire fortune when you pass away.

I am more inclined with that solution. Give the files to then in a way that are encoded, like a 'personal code', a hint, a little distortion. The objective is counterfeint a possible leak in those documents that you are not promptly aware of.

fyi. Your sarcasm makes you sound juvenile.

mtgox accounts can be easily considered an assest, thus giving the info to your estate lawyer or 3rd party could work.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

beckspace (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:54:22 AM

mtgox accounts can be easily considered an assest, thus giving the info to your estate lawyer or 3rd party could work.

But what prevents them to steal it? I mean, I have to give the passcodes?

I'm trying to think in a good manner to leave digital currencies at my will. You have to give the passwords for somebody, otherwise it will be lost if you die. The best way to give a password to somebody it's not giving the real password, printed on paper, but a mixed one, like backwards, or going up in the alphabet 1, 2, 3 times etc. So you don't have your printed password floating around. What do you think?
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 12:53:38 PM

Hey man, check this out

Entrustet Ensures Your Digital Assets Are Smoothly Passed On After You Pass On
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/entrustet-ensures-digital-assets-smoothly-passed-pass/

Whatta think?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: