Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:20:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB Wifi PSU switch?  (Read 344 times)
takagari (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 06:46:11 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2016, 06:57:30 PM by takagari

Looking for a wired or wireless relay that can be accessed from a phone,
Wired would be best.

Looking for a way to remotely power down my miners, preferably by controlling the 5VDC power line for the PSU.
Something with a good controller/app so I can be sure I can access it away from home, not just from within my home network.

Would like to pay btc, and have it soon.
Ship to Canada
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stratobitz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 07:55:37 PM

Just offering some insight here, and things may have changed from a year ago when I personally was looking for a similar option... to either be able to remotely power down, or to reset systems if the systems froze. The PSUs/UPS type systems that do this tend to be on the pricey side. Some recommended using a Raspberry Pi and to basically project box a device to trigger the reset on the motherboards.

An option to consider, might be something like the Wemo devices, if you are ok with hard offs and hard ons (not safe shutdowns through software); and to pair the basic Wemo Wifi Plug AC switch with an Amazon Echo.

You can use the Echo to control the Wemo to turn on and off remotely. You can also set up a basic IFTTT Applet to follow rules.

Now if you wanted to go a step further, to control a group of miners and do safe shutdowns, and boots:

Just again, thinking about how to do this for a reasonable amount of money especially if you have a lot of machines:  

Wemo powering a system not mining, any old laptop or PC, with a set IP. This system runs nothing, just sits on or off.

Echo paired to Wemo. You can trigger the AC Wemo with you iPhone or IFTTT.

You write a small script and compile it into an EXE or BAT file; (this would be for GPU rigs running an OS), that you put in the StartUp folder, so it runs on startup.

- Script Pings Static IP on "AC System" on intervals of say every 5 minutes.
 - Script loops if Ping doesnt timeout.
 - If AC computer has been triggered to off state, and is offline, Script runs a standard "shutdown" sequence through Windows/OS, or reboots.
 - If All Rigs are off, you could use a separate StartUp script, installed on AC system, to "wake on lan" all the other systems (miners), which would be turned on after you Wemo AC the AC system on.

That's my two cents on this. The options to do this unfortunatley, at least as of a year ago, were so limited. The cheapest item I found was a $400 device that allowed for basically every thing above... but only on 1 breaker (20 Amps)... it wouldn't actually wire into motherboards, it did it all over your network to do the shutdowns and WOL.

Hope this helps... And again, perhaps things have changed in the last year and now a product exists.
qctechno

Activity: 307
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 08:52:08 PM

I had prototype something , but didn't finish it.

Solution was very simple. A Pi and some arduino controller to toggle On/Off command on ATX P/S.

Load Raspberry Pi with TeamViewer
https://pages.teamviewer.com/published/raspberrypi/

Program serial command to Arduino for On/Off control.

Arduino come with USB/Serial FTDI chip.
When connected to the Pi, it see it as serial port.

I programmed a simple ASCII command for On/Off command.

Only problem, is that TeamViewer for Pi change is ID each boot ... that's was stopped me.

Total BOM, least than 75$

isoneguy

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 09:48:31 PM

The easiest solution would be some sort of a powered hub with internet link. But it might cost you a pretty penny.

Or for 55 bucks on newegg you could do the fun way: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAKV43Z2184&cm_re=intel_stick-_-83-800-005-_-Product

If you get the more expensive windows version you can dual boot.
klaaas

Activity: 1568
Merit: 544

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 09:37:09 AM

I would suggest to make your own wifi outlet with a nodemcu. Something like this. Make sure your relay can handle the max power.

Shopping online and sats back as a discount! (satsback) + LightningNetwork
cavaliersrus

Activity: 735
Merit: 500

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 03:26:37 PM

I had prototype something , but didn't finish it.

Solution was very simple. A Pi and some arduino controller to toggle On/Off command on ATX P/S.

Load Raspberry Pi with TeamViewer
https://pages.teamviewer.com/published/raspberrypi/

Program serial command to Arduino for On/Off control.

Arduino come with USB/Serial FTDI chip.
When connected to the Pi, it see it as serial port.

I programmed a simple ASCII command for On/Off command.

Only problem, is that TeamViewer for Pi change is ID each boot ... that's was stopped me.

Total BOM, least than 75$

dont use team viewer ... use realvnc they have a pi version and it is free to use for personal or educational use

takagari (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 06:40:48 PM

The issue I've come accross with many hard reset options is that they run in 120 and won't support 220. so that's a non starter, as they suck

I'm really surprised someone has built an out of the box working tool for this, be it a pre loaded and setup Pi, or something else.

I could see them being quite popular and sell fast.
buckrogers
Legendary

Activity: 2728
Merit: 1181

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 07:10:31 PM

The issue I've come accross with many hard reset options is that they run in 120 and won't support 220. so that's a non starter, as they suck

I'm really surprised someone has built an out of the box working tool for this, be it a pre loaded and setup Pi, or something else.

I could see them being quite popular and sell fast.

oh they have them for 220, i have a couple myself:

http://www.tripplite.com/products/power-distribution-units-pdus~15?1692=Switched

not cheap but the real deal Smiley

thanks!

Well I'm dr. spock I'm here to rock y'all
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: