Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:43:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Isn't bitcoin getting greedy if you count the recent price rises?  (Read 1365 times)
madmadmax (OP)

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:06:39 AM

With the fees? I mean with bitcoins getting rare lately paying a 0.0015 fee for sending 0.01 btc seems a bit extreme, even if there are 8 inputs, paying 30 cents for a 2 dollar transfer is a bit greedy and even though I understand that this is necessary to decrease the size of the chain wouldn't it be possible to introduce different concepts in order to make the chain smaller? Possibly "timestamping" a certain point in the chain and deleting all the spent transactions before that and then using it as a new start? This could be done automatically every month for example.

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 06:27:26 AM

I see the word "greedy" thrown around almost everywhere lately, but now bitcoin is getting greedy?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:31:13 AM

I see the word "greedy" thrown around almost everywhere lately, but now bitcoin is getting greedy?

OP has a point, dont be a nitpicking prick
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 06:35:22 AM

With the fees? I mean with bitcoins getting rare lately paying a 0.0015 fee for sending 0.01 btc seems a bit extreme, even if there are 8 inputs, paying 30 cents for a 2 dollar transfer is a bit greedy and even though I understand that this is necessary to decrease the size of the chain wouldn't it be possible to introduce different concepts in order to make the chain smaller? Possibly "timestamping" a certain point in the chain and deleting all the spent transactions before that and then using it as a new start? This could be done automatically every month for example.

The minimum fee for the new client is .0001

That is less than 2 cents.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:35:38 AM

The fee system is certainly a point of discussion at the moment for the reference client developers. In a merge yesterday, the hardcoded KB fee in was brought down (0.005 to 0.001), so this will be in 0.8.2 and given that the miners go along, this should alleviate fee worries for a while.

However this solution of hardcoding a number is not sustainable. There can't be a new software rollout every time the price in $ changes. In the long run, it need to be the miners that determine the fee in a free market system and broadcast this somehow so that it can be determined dynamically.

I recommend searching the forums if you want more details; this has been argued to death, and it can't be solved by arguing about it more Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 06:37:32 AM

However this solution of hardcoding a number is not sustainable. There can't be a new software rollout every time the price in $ changes. In the long run, it need to be the miners that determine the fee and broadcast this somehow so that it can be determined dynamically.

Hard coded in one of the clients.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:51:27 PM

With the fees? I mean with bitcoins getting rare lately paying a 0.0015 fee for sending 0.01 btc seems a bit extreme, even if there are 8 inputs,

Although probably not available with online wallet services yet, I think "coin control" would let you make a transaction with multiple inputs and just the one fee. Available in the Armory client, and also maybe in original Bitcoin Qt in some future release or another

Vires in numeris
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:54:52 PM

I don't want to comment on fee's.

But I will say that BTC in general is in a very greedy phase. ALOT of people buying up BTC's right now are doing so because of the recent spike in value and looking to get rich quick.  That's a very strong sign of a bubble. 

I know people who know next to nothing about computers who are now calling me asking about BTC because they want to get in on the gravy train and make some quick money.

As of right now this second, BTC is starting to become less of a currency and more of a commodity/investment that people are hoping to get rich on.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
madmadmax (OP)

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:02:14 PM

I don't want to comment on fee's.

But I will say that BTC in general is in a very greedy phase. ALOT of people buying up BTC's right now are doing so because of the recent spike in value and looking to get rich quick.  That's a very strong sign of a bubble. 

I know people who know next to nothing about computers who are now calling me asking about BTC because they want to get in on the gravy train and make some quick money.

As of right now this second, BTC is starting to become less of a currency and more of a commodity/investment that people are hoping to get rich on.

I guess it is simply the nature of people to bubble something, can't prevent it.

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:03:23 PM

The fee system is certainly a point of discussion at the moment for the reference client developers. In a merge yesterday, the hardcoded KB fee in was brought down (0.005 to 0.001), so this will be in 0.8.2 and given that the miners go along, this should alleviate fee worries for a while.

However this solution of hardcoding a number is not sustainable. There can't be a new software rollout every time the price in $ changes. In the long run, it need to be the miners that determine the fee in a free market system and broadcast this somehow so that it can be determined dynamically.

I recommend searching the forums if you want more details; this has been argued to death, and it can't be solved by arguing about it more Smiley
Correction:  0.0005 to 0.0001.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: