Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:03:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW TO SET UP OVERCLOCKING AND FAN CONTROL ON UBUNTU 16.04 FOR NVIDIA CARDS  (Read 54990 times)
thevictimofuktyranny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 10:27:56 PM

Install Ubuntu 16.10

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install nvidia-370 nvidia-cuda-toolkit
sudo nvidia-xconfig -a --cool-bits=31 --allow-empty-initial-configuration

Well, you can do that, but when I tested it, some mining software lost a lot of after 4-7 hours of mining and hashed at 60% less.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ken-ray

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 04:19:12 AM

Install Ubuntu 16.10

sudo apt update

Well, you can do that, but when I tested it, some mining software lost a lot of after 4-7 hours of mining and hashed at 60% less.

I mostly run folding, results may vary I guess.
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 07:00:40 AM

Install Ubuntu 16.10

sudo apt update

Just as a correction, I tested with 375 drivers to be accurate.

Lot's of people mining cryptos overclock the core and memory and the later drivers include better optimisations for that.

Don't have time to go back and test older drivers - gaming at the moment.
kopija

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 09:47:39 AM

Install Ubuntu 16.10

sudo apt update

No they may not.
 I run both folding and mining software and these four lines are all that is needed.
No need for complications in the OP.

we are nothing but a smart contracts on a cosmic blockchain
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 03:25:06 PM

Install Ubuntu 16.10

sudo apt update

No they may not.
 I run both folding and mining software and these four lines are all that is needed.
No need for complications in the OP.

It is an old guide - some of it does not apply anymore.
lost_post

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 06:07:47 PM

Thanks a lot, for you guide.
I tryied to do it step by step. Three times. But had no succsesfull.
First difference is - after install Ubuntu (ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64), when I enable nvidia driver first time, I already have last version of nvidia drivers. I can't install  367.57 . Is it ok?
After install nvidia drivers I can open nvidia settings, but i don't know where to do to "And X Server Configuration and save the configuration file. " I tryed to reboot and after that I can see temps, fans rpm, clock of gpu's.
So then, when I disabled nvidia driver and enabled Nouveau driver, I start to install last nvidia driver one more time. One time I had error that because of enabled Nouveau driver, it can not install nvidia drivers. Is my job right?
After succesfull instalation cuda (without drivers) I tryed to overclock gpu, and have a lot of eerors. Failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket: No such file or directory. Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused. I tryed to install mir, but it was a bad idea.
What am I doing wrong? Can you give me some help?
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 03:07:32 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2017, 03:27:17 AM by thevictimofuktyranny

Thanks a lot, for you guide.
I tryied to do it step by step. Three times. But had no succsesfull.
First difference is - after install Ubuntu (ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64), when I enable nvidia driver first time, I already have last version of nvidia drivers. I can't install  367.57 . Is it ok?
After install nvidia drivers I can open nvidia settings, but i don't know where to do to "And X Server Configuration and save the configuration file. " I tryed to reboot and after that I can see temps, fans rpm, clock of gpu's.
So then, when I disabled nvidia driver and enabled Nouveau driver, I start to install last nvidia driver one more time. One time I had error that because of enabled Nouveau driver, it can not install nvidia drivers. Is my job right?
After succesfull instalation cuda (without drivers) I tryed to overclock gpu, and have a lot of eerors. Failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket: No such file or directory. Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused. I tryed to install mir, but it was a bad idea.
What am I doing wrong? Can you give me some help?

Guide is pretty old. It super-simple now Smiley

These are the steps are now:

1) install Ubuntu 16.04LTS or 17.10LTS

2) Update the Operating System via Software Centre. REBOOT

3) Go to Additional Drivers and switch the the CPU drivers, if not automatically loaded. REBOOT

4) Go to Additional Drivers and switch too Nvidia Drivers. REBOOT

5) Open a Terminal and enter each line:

sudo update-grub

sudo nvidia-xconfig -a --cool-bits=28 --allow-empty-initial-configuration

REBOOT

Fans control and overclocking is now enabled.

Amended the 1st page, which explains how to set up automatics fan speeds and overclocks.

lost_post

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 09:34:40 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2017, 10:56:38 AM by lost_post

Thanks a lot for answer.
Do i need to install cuda8 or it is already instaleted with Additional Drivers or OS ?
I can use oveclock and fan control using nvidia-settings, right?

I did all you said.
When I try to start nvidia_gpus_oc.sh
#!/bin/bash
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUGraphicsMemoryOffset[3]=100'
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset[3]=100'
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1'
nvidia-settings -a '[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80'

I get errors:
ERROR: Error parsing assignment '[gpu:0]/GPUGraphicsMemoryOffset[3]=100'
       (Unrecognized attribute name).
ERROR: Error assigning value 80 to attribute 'GPUTargetFanSpeed'
       (Rig02:0[fan:0]) as specified in assignment
       '[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80' (Unknown Error).

Then I tryed to change fan:0 to gpu:0, and have no second error. But fan didn't start.

When I add same commands for gpu1 I have one more error ofr gpu1
ERROR: Error parsing assignment '[gpu:1]/GPUGraphicsMemoryOffset[3]=100'

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

(Rig02:0[fan:1]) as specified in assignment
       '[fan:1]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80' (Unknown Error).

What is wrong now?
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 11:34:01 AM

Thanks a lot for answer.
Do i need to install cuda8 or it is already instaleted with Additional Drivers or OS ?
I can use oveclock and fan control using nvidia-settings, right?

I did all you said.
When I try to start nvidia_gpus_oc.sh
#!/bin/bash
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUGraphicsMemoryOffset[3]=100'
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset[3]=100'
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1'
nvidia-settings -a '[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80'

I get errors:
ERROR: Error parsing assignment '[gpu:0]/GPUGraphicsMemoryOffset[3]=100'
       (Rig02:0[fan:0]) as specified in assignment
       '[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80' (Unknown Error).

Then I tryed to change fan:0 to gpu:0, and have no second error. But fan didn't start.

When I add same commands for gpu1 I have one more error ofr gpu1
ERROR: Error parsing assignment '[gpu:1]/GPUGraphicsMemoryOffset[3]=100'

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

(Rig02:0[fan:1]) as specified in assignment
       '[fan:1]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80' (Unknown Error).

What is wrong now?

You don't need to install Cuda8 - already in the drivers.

You can set the fan one by one: Go to Nvidia X Server Settings and tick enable GPU Fan Settings and slide the bar to the desired speed and apply.

Here is downloadable working .sh file for you to check against, sorry about the adverts on this site and the link is only valid for 30 days:

https://ufile.io/miuj2

Finally, you may have custom fan controls made by your board partner, which is incompatible with X Server Settings - so cannot be set via .sh
lost_post

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 02:39:40 PM

I tried one more time.  Tried your oc.sh - the same errors.
I can't set clock or fan speed. The same errors.
Via Nvidia X Server Settings I also can't to set clocks or fans speed. Just read, or set PowerMizer profile. Is it ok?
Maybe special configuration of MB bios? Maybe I must disable internal GPU and use NVIDIA?
I tried to view available clocks via nvidia-smi and see that it is N/A. Is it normal?
I am using MSI GTX1070 8G Gaming X. Maybe I need to flash some "unlocked bios" to change clocks?
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 02:45:26 PM

Via Nvidia X Server Settings I also can't to set clocks or fans speed. Just read, or set PowerMizer profile. Is it ok?
Maybe special configuration of MB bios? Maybe I must disable internal GPU and use NVIDIA?
I tried to view available clocks via nvidia-smi and see that it is N/A. Is it normal?
I am using MSI GTX1070 8G Gaming X. Maybe I need to flash some "unlocked bios" to change clocks?

Have many GPU's?

What Processor and chipset?

Have you tried Ubuntu 17.10LTS - is using Kernel 4.10 - may have better compatibility with newer hardware.
lost_post

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 04:57:36 PM

I did not try 17.10. I will try Ubuntu 17.10.
I have mb Asus Z-270-P, cpu intel celeron G4500, 4gb RAM, now i have two GPUs MSI GTX1070 Gaming X, but I am planing to use 8. Or 6.
Any suggestions?
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 05:46:01 PM

I did not try 17.10. I will try Ubuntu 17.10.
I have mb Asus Z-270-P, cpu intel celeron G4500, 4gb RAM, now i have two GPUs MSI GTX1070 Gaming X, but I am planing to use 8. Or 6.
Any suggestions?

Your chipset is very new, even though CPU is from the previous generation. Ubuntu 17.10, with the newer 4.10 kernel should be more compatible.

Remember to update the bio as well.

Afterwards, go into bios, find the PCH option under the PCI-Express speed, change it from AUTO to Gen 1 or Gen 2.

I've got 3  versions of Ubuntu 16.04LTS, with different Kernels - some work and some don't.
lost_post

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 07:16:27 PM

Did you mean 17.04 ? Ubuntu site can't have link to 17.10. Only 17.04

PCH option under the PCI-Express speed works on PCI-E X16 slot 0. But I am using PCI-E X1 slot 2,3.
Does it change anything?
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 07:38:15 PM

Did you mean 17.04 ? Ubuntu site can't have link to 17.10. Only 17.04

PCH option under the PCI-Express speed works on PCI-E X16 slot 0. But I am using PCI-E X1 slot 2,3.
Does it change anything?

Yeah, 17.04LTS.

You need to set all the slots to Gen 1 or Gen 2, whichever one works. Otherwise, you'll get weird Nvidia display errors.

For example:  Asus Prime H270 Plus - when it is not set to Gen 1 - on either Gen 2 or Gen 3 you get display errors, before the log in page.

And, only 2 cards are recognised - even though motherboard support is for 4 GPUs on PCI-E 1X.
Brucelats

Activity: 326

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 12:14:24 AM

Hey!

Thanks for guide. I mannaged to set all my 4 GPUs to be able to get overclocked, and to adjust fan speed.

But i have problem again like a guy before, but we didnt got clear answer.

When my miner starts (Claymoore dual miner) all my GPU-s go back to Level 2 performance. If they were on LV 3 their clock would be higher, their "base" clock. For example my card have 8000 memory clock when i add 400 to mem clock on level 2, on level 3 it would hav 8.4k and so on. Feels like i am not using my cards full potential.

How can i unlock LV 3 so they mine on that level.

Cheers!

I use ubuntu 16.04

Brucelats

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 12:24:51 AM

I use 3x Asus Dual X 8GB OC version gtx 1070 and MSI 1070gtx gaming X

My all cards work and i can OC them. I can put memory offsets and core offsets. I have ubuntu 16.04

It all worked after i did 4 lines of code:

sudo apt update

Altough i eventualy added newer drivers for nvidia and did some updates, but it worked like this also.

Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 12:29:56 AM

Hey!

Thanks for guide. I mannaged to set all my 4 GPUs to be able to get overclocked, and to adjust fan speed.

When my miner starts (Claymoore dual miner) all my GPU-s go back to Level 2 performance. If they were on LV 3 their clock would be higher, their "base" clock. For example my card have 8000 memory clock when i add 400 to mem clock on level 2, on level 3 it would hav 8.4k and so on. Feels like i am not using my cards full potential.

Cheers!

I use ubuntu 16.04

Level 2 is automatic for Compute workloads as specified by Nvidia. Only gaming workloads will run at the higher memory clock automatically (Level 3).

It's just the memory, that down-clocks - the originally release (last year) had heat issues running Micron memory ICs.

This was fixed with bios update earlier this year, but the Compute memory down-clock has not been changed, because lot's of people have not updated their bios. LOL
Brucelats

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 12:39:12 AM

Hey!

Cheers!

I use ubuntu 16.04

Level 2 is automatic for Compute workloads as specified by Nvidia. Only gaming workloads will run at the higher memory clock automatically (Level 3).

It's just the memory, that down-clocks - the originally release (last year) had heat issues running Micron memory ICs.

This was fixed with bios update earlier this year, but the Compute memory down-clock has not been changed, because lot's of people have not updated their bios. LOL

Ahh ok. I see. So it's not possible yet to get to level 3.

Are there any other Linux tweaks possible to get higher speeds beside just slaming OC numbers? I run my MSI at +1400 from 2000 on memory clock. It's stable and not overheating, at around 40 celsius at 60% fan.

I am wondering can i get full potential from all these GTX i have and plan to buy?

Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 08:30:55 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2017, 07:41:45 PM by thevictimofuktyranny

Hey!

Cheers!

I use ubuntu 16.04

Ahh ok. I see. So it's not possible yet to get to level 3.

Are there any other Linux tweaks possible to get higher speeds beside just slaming OC numbers? I run my MSI at +1400 from 2000 on memory clock. It's stable and not overheating, at around 40 celsius at 60% fan.

I am wondering can i get full potential from all these GTX i have and plan to buy?

Overclocking is pretty much based on using the card less, other than 24/7 for many years.

Say gaming - person plays games 4 hours a day - so overclocking will degrade the GPU, but because the card is not under full load 24/7, the GPU will last well over the warranty period.

I'm not overclocking myself (don't need too, when you mine for accumulation) - so, perhaps consult some threads from last year and see what the lifespan is on overclocked Nvidia GPUs.

Back in the day - AMD GPUs kept releasing new architectures every 1 year or so! And, those old releases, like Hawaii were really over the over necessary specification to have a low warranty events. So, those GPUs tended to last, even with 16% overclocks.

But, the current GPUs are all on 2 years architectures, so they will not be like those architectures.

Try this Nvidia thread, which has a lot of people overclocking their GPUs:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=826901.0;topicseen
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: