Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:32:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unique S5 Antminer problem  (Read 925 times)
cturner55 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2016, 12:01:59 AM

Hello everyone,
I have a bit of a unique situation on my hands.  I've been a part of cryptocurrencys for a few years, always loved mining with my GPU and trading online, finally decided to invest in an ASIC just to try it out before buying a S9.  The problem I face is in my dorm we only have wireless internet access provided by Boingo, which means I don't have my own router to plug the S5 into.  I thought about getting a router to pickup the wireless signal, and then just run an Ethernet cable from it to the miner, but I don't want to buy a router if that doesn't work.  I had the idea that maybe my laptop could pick up the wireless signal and then provide the miner with internet through the Ethernet port of the laptop.  I'm not sure why, but the miner starts beeping after a few minutes (I assume from not being connected to the internet), I finally messed with the laptop enough that when I run the miner, it doesn't beep any longer, but at the same time I'm not sure if that means it's working because I still can't connect to the miner.  Right now I have the Ethernet port with the static IPv4 address of 192.168.1.33  .  I'm self taught on most networking stuff so I could very well be wrong, but I thought that meant I was assigning whatever was connected to the Ethernet port the IP address of 192.168.1.33?  I would appreciate any help on this matter as I obviously have no idea what I'm doing.  If I need to provide any further information I would be more than happy too!
Thanks for your time!
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 14, 2016, 07:48:19 AM

Look into "Internet Connection Sharing" as that should do what you want it to do.

You'll probably have to reconfigure your miner to a different address as I believe IRS is designed to work on the 192.168.0.x subnet with the device doing the sharing having it's "sharing" ethernet port set by Windows to 192.168.0.1 (I don't remember if you can work around that to change that).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
cturner55 (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 07:15:34 AM

Thank you sir for the quick reply!  Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but I haven't had much time to mess with the miner as I am currently at Air Force technical training, hence why I don't have my own router to connect to.  My computer's IP was assigned as 10.3.78.60 and I have no idea what the laptop is assigning the ASIC through the Ethernet port?  Are you saying that the miner is only made to run as a 192.168.0.x?  Thanks for any and all help!
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 10:29:19 AM

No, I'm saying that the connection the Laptop will use to share it's internet connection via the Ethernet port will probably be assigned 192.168.0.1 and that therefore anything using that Ethernet port to connect to the Internet VIA the laptop would have to be on the 192.168.0.x subnet

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
cturner55 (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 12:47:21 AM

How would you go about connecting to the miner then?  Just scan the 192.168.0.x subnet for the miner?  Any applications or ways to do that?  Thank you sir.
I can break these cuffs

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 10:27:19 PM

What seems to be happening is all you did was give the miner a static ip but didn't tell the router to keep it static so the router just gave it a new ip while the miner thinks it's still on the old ip address. You're gonna have to hold the reset button on the miner and it will restore it's settings.
I can break these cuffs

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 10:35:06 PM

How would you go about connecting to the miner then?  Just scan the 192.168.0.x subnet for the miner?  Any applications or ways to do that?  Thank you sir.

you can use ip reporter for this https://enshop.bitmain.com/support.htm?pid=00720160906053730999PVD2K0vz0693

click start and hold down the ip button on the miner for 5 secs or so
cturner55 (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 02:25:36 AM

I reset the miner, and tried the IP button, but still no luck.  I still think there's something wrong with my laptop not wanting to share the internet connection, or interface with the miner.  If the internet wasn't working for the miner then it would beep like it has before correct?  It isn't beeping anymore which leads me to believe it's hooked up correctly, but then why wouldn't the IP address show up?
Edit: Actually it is beeping after about 5 minutes, it wasn't doing that up until today.
I can break these cuffs

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 04:51:27 AM

I reset the miner, and tried the IP button, but still no luck.  I still think there's something wrong with my laptop not wanting to share the internet connection, or interface with the miner.  If the internet wasn't working for the miner then it would beep like it has before correct?  It isn't beeping anymore which leads me to believe it's hooked up correctly, but then why wouldn't the IP address show up?
Edit: Actually it is beeping after about 5 minutes, it wasn't doing that up until today.
have you tried connecting anything to the ethernet port to see if you're at least getting connectivity?
cturner55 (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 06:53:49 PM

What do you mean anything connected to the Ethernet port?  Do you mean have I tried connecting anything to the Ethernet port besides just the Antminer?  No I have not.  I will try connecting my android TV box to the laptop through Ethernet later when I get off duty, and see if that offers the tv any internet.
jacobmayes94

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 07:32:21 PM

I found a solution to this very problem.

A wifi repeater with an Ethernet port, get it to connect to the wifi, then use the Ethernet port for your miner or connect it to a simple switch if you wish to use more.

If the shared wifi doesn't allow mining, then do the same set up but the wifi repeater to a cheap mobile hotspot.

If you are going to be running a loud S9 in an isolated area then the cost of this would probably be much cheaper than power costs in the long run putting the miner elsewhere.

P.S I did the router ->  to tp link repeater (wired) -> to mobile hotspot (wireless from tp link repeater to hotspot) while I am waiting for my internet to be installed in the new house, works like a charm!
cturner55 (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 10:28:00 PM

Alright thank you sir, I will definitely give this a shot Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: