Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:36:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DVC - Devcoin  (Read 2892 times)
spilltime (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:52:56 PM

So I am just looking into alternate crypto-currencies and I was hoping someone could give me some background on Devcoin. Is it a wise investment? I compared the charts and they seems to match up with LTC and PPC just on a much smaller scale. Thanks for any information.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:59:18 PM

So I am just looking into alternate crypto-currencies and I was hoping someone could give me some background on Devcoin. Is it a wise investment? I compared the charts and they seems to match up with LTC and PPC just on a much smaller scale. Thanks for any information.

Devcoin's price seems to parallel bitcoin. I like it, I have a few.
I'm a believer in a diverse cryptocurrency eco-system and I think DVC will be one of the (many) winners.
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:03:22 AM

Devcoin has a great dev team and community behind and a great vision as they pay creatives, developers, and all kinds of people bounties in Devcoin for inventing, producing and creating amazing stuff. Definitely a wise choice for the long term both as an investment and also if you want to support numerous projects Smiley

When the DVC market cap gets big enough they are going to build a spaceship Smiley
Barnacle_Ed

Activity: 271

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:12:02 AM

The Devcoin page on the Devcoin wiki summarizes things quite nicely IMO.

Also, be sure to check out the wiki in more detail. It's a work in progress that DVC community members are throwing together, and you can even earn yourself some Devcoins if you write for it!
chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:19:59 AM

Hah, DVC probably went up at the same time because of alt coin craze/pump.

Try not to buy DVC as an investment, its not meant for that.
nameface

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:24:22 AM

I'm kinda just holding 40k DVC so I can gift them to a dev who helps me out with something one day or something. Does that make sense?
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:16:57 AM

Hah, DVC probably went up at the same time because of alt coin craze/pump.

Well, yes and no. When you buy or trade BTC for Devcoin you help increase the Devcoin market cap, which when it reaches a certain point means Devcoin can sponsor people to invent next generation fabricators, among all the projects Devcoin already sponsors. Devcoin is an investment in this sense (helping people invent, create and develop), and of course it is an investment in the sense that it is a well established alt coin which has been around for a relatively long time, has proven devs and a strong community, and due to the projects Devcoin undertakes I would say there is an excellent chance Devcoin price will rise in the future! Devcoin has a unique vision and it isn't going anywhere Smiley
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 06:17:32 AM

When the DVC market cap gets big enough they are going to build a spaceship Smiley
That would be awesome.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:01:01 AM

Devcoin has a great dev team and community behind and a great vision as they pay creatives, developers, and all kinds of people bounties in Devcoin for inventing, producing and creating amazing stuff. Definitely a wise choice for the long term both as an investment and also if you want to support numerous projects Smiley

How is it an investment? It seems like a charity.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 10:03:34 AM

Some might call an open-source spaceship charity, others might call it the volksmobile that will open up the solar system like wagons opened up the west...

(Print yourself a space-wagon and go mine asteroids for printer-primer to print more stuff, yay! Smiley)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:05:18 AM

Because the DVC to BTC exchange rate should rise over time as Devcoin has a very strong community and developer, and as Devcoin becomes more widely known (Devcoin has a very comprehensive marketing program which is just getting started), and as more DVC services and websites appear.
weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:18:47 AM

Is there any particular reason why DVC isn't on btc-e. Is that a btc-e or devcoin developer decision?
Luckybit

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:46:18 AM

Because the DVC to BTC exchange rate should rise over time as Devcoin has a very strong community and developer, and as Devcoin becomes more widely known (Devcoin has a very comprehensive marketing program which is just getting started), and as more DVC services and websites appear.

How many Devcoins would a person have to buy to make a significant profit? Please help me out with the math here because I cannot see how Devcoins will rise in value when theres so many.
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:54:12 AM

How many Devcoins would a person have to buy to make a significant profit? Please help me out with the math here because I cannot see how Devcoins will rise in value when theres so many.

Nothing is certain, BTC itself is an experiment. I'm an admin with Devcoin's Devtome, and seeing the community from the inside and its vision I personally believe it has a bright future as a crypto with a unique mission. Current DVC/BTC exchange rates can be seen at Vircurex. Historical exchange rate charts can be seen at http://cryptocoincharts.info

You can read more about Devcoin at http://devtome.com and more specific informaton about Devcoin can be seen here http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin
Luckybit

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:57:04 AM

I'm kinda just holding 40k DVC so I can gift them to a dev who helps me out with something one day or something. Does that make sense?

How much would that be worth though? If it could be worth $4000 then yeah it would make sense. If it would be worth $400 then its not making sense. if It could be worth $40 it's just silly and if it remains what it's worth now than it's just pretend money.

I think you're right, if Bitcoin is a success Devcoin will probably be worth $400 but by then Bitcoin would have to be worth tens of thousands a coin.
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:02:33 AM

Is there any particular reason why DVC isn't on btc-e. Is that a btc-e or devcoin developer decision?

Looking through the history of dvc it actually was on btc very briefly but then it looks like it got yanked really quickly because it was valued less than 0.0001 btc or some unwritten rule that btc-e has....  it is traded really happily on vircurex and has been for some time.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 02:25:02 AM

I think BTC-e only has five decimals in its prices, so it lacks the three digits actually usually used by DeVCoin price-in-bitcoins.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:26:36 AM

I think BTC-e only has five decimals in its prices, so it lacks the three digits actually usually used by DeVCoin price-in-bitcoins.

-MarkM-

Yes I believe that the decimal places issue was behind BTC-e dropping the coin - and nothing to do with DVC as a currency on its own merits.
weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:31:37 AM

Thanks for the info. Vircurex - yes I have some, price moves a bit funny this morning but I haven't bought them to sell them. Really think dvc may have hit on some good ideas, esp wrt to by debt for projects creating an underlying backing. Will admit I'm still learning, and a little unsure about the whole ethos behind most cryptocurrencies (at this stage), but this is one project I can explain to other non-tech people as making any sense to them, and to me.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 10:50:49 AM

Some might call an open-source spaceship charity, others might call it the volksmobile that will open up the solar system like wagons opened up the west...

(Print yourself a space-wagon and go mine asteroids for printer-primer to print more stuff, yay! Smiley)

-MarkM-

But who's printing the asteroids?   oh 1st world space flight and resources problems Cheesy

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: