Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:57:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ill give you 1 tulip bulb for 6 bitcoins  (Read 6650 times)
mintybits

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 06:56:26 AM

Can you divide a tulip up to 8 decimal places?  How long does a tulip bulb stay good (is it immutable?)  Are tulip bulbs finite?  Can you send tulips around the world in seconds for only a few cents?

It's not even like comparing apples to oranges...  It's like comparing apples to bacon  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 07:13:54 AM

Except there is no gavitational attraction between the price of BTC and the number zero. I hate clumbsy analogies so much because lead you to think you undestand something, when really you dont

I believe that number last time wasn't zero, but 2! A drop of around 95%. If history was to repeat itself, that would mean Bitcoin going down to ~$10 at current prices. Or if ti Bitcoins go to 500%, a 95% hit would take it to $25. How would you like those prices?
I'd love 'em. I could buy in again.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:26:50 AM

Except there is no gavitational attraction between the price of BTC and the number zero. I hate clumbsy analogies so much because lead you to think you undestand something, when really you dont

I believe that number last time wasn't zero, but 2! A drop of around 95%. If history was to repeat itself, that would mean Bitcoin going down to ~$10 at current prices. Or if ti Bitcoins go to 500%, a 95% hit would take it to $25. How would you like those prices?
I'd love 'em. I could buy in again.

that

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Evan

Activity: 507

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:29:59 PM

And today tulips are a multibillion dollar industry in Holland alone.

Edit - no one ever talks about 'what happend next'

.com bubble ----> google, facebook, twitter, ebay et al.

You sir are a dipshit:

Pets.com
Kozmo.com
Webvan
Flooz.com
eToys.com
Boo.com
GovWorks.com
MVP.com
Go.com
Kibu.com
Freeinternet.com 
GeoCities
WorldCom
Xcelera.com
inktomi

Total ~50.4Billion combind at their individual height.

You sir are stupid, go back to school read up on the subject you are attempting to speak out, then come back.

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:04:06 PM

but what is the total valuation of google, facebook, twitter, ebay today? You want some pet food or pet toys online? Get it on Amazon.
Stampbit (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:22:18 AM

but what is the total valuation of google, facebook, twitter, ebay today? You want some pet food or pet toys online? Get it on Amazon.

the total value of internet advertising expenditures.
dmartig

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:55:01 AM

actually a better history lesson comes from the griots of the west coast of africa.
it goes back some 3800 years ago. at that time the currency was cowrie shells.
for many years there was a steady supply and there was no inflation or deflation.
over the course of hundreds of years you could get a fish for x amount of cowrie shells.
then for some inexplicable reason the cowrie population collapsed. suddenly it took
many more shells to get anything including fish and djembes. the value rose exponentially.
then after a few years after people had been hoarding shells never knowing when they would ever get more
there was a huge storm that washed up innumerable quantities of shells. the value of the shells plummeted.
those who had been hoarding instead of spending took a terrible beating. everyone had shells.
it took hundreds of shells to get one fish. those who had been speculating in shells were forced to fish
farm or make some kind of product that would fill a demand so they could get enough shells to trade
for things they needed.
eventually the economy stabilized when people were gainfully employed and the number of shells
came into equilibrium with the needs of commerce.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:39:56 AM

You sir are a dipshit:

Pets.com
Kozmo.com
Webvan
Flooz.com
eToys.com
Boo.com
GovWorks.com
MVP.com
Go.com
Kibu.com
Freeinternet.com 
GeoCities
WorldCom
Xcelera.com
inktomi

You sir are stupid, go back to school read up on the subject you are attempting to speak out, then come back.

This^

LOL!

Not to mention dozens of other dotcom ventures that were nothing but hype and hot air, yet ended up highly 'valued'.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:43:29 AM

You guys aren't seriously comparing Bitcoin to Flooz?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

You sir are a dipshit:

Pets.com
Kozmo.com
Webvan
Flooz.com
eToys.com
Boo.com
GovWorks.com
MVP.com
Go.com
Kibu.com
Freeinternet.com 
GeoCities
WorldCom
Xcelera.com
inktomi

You're right - the whole internet thing was a complete failure. I'm surprised you even found a way to post this on the internet.
BitcoinMillionaire

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Bling Bling

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:08:33 PM

The market cap for tulips is currently higher than the market cap for bitcoins. Add daffodils, and roses and we are entering stratospheric prices.
And that's discounting the lily and the orchid as a minor players in this market.

LOL!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
aop

Activity: 34

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:10:19 PM

You're right - the whole internet thing was a complete failure. I'm surprised you even found a way to post this on the internet.
Hey guise, listen to this genius, internet totally exists just because of the dot.com bubble and all good that came from it.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:32:33 PM

Hey guise, listen to this genius, internet totally exists just because of the dot.com bubble and all good that came from it.

The point is that the .com bubble was followed by the .com renaissance - arguably the most important 10 to 15 years in human history.

Arbitrary quote form wikipedia:

"A friend of mine has a great line. He says 'Nothing important has ever been built without irrational exuberance'. Meaning that you need some of this mania to cause investors to open up their pocketbooks and finance the building of the railroads or the automobile or aerospace industry or whatever. And in this case, much of the capital invested was lost, but also much of it was invested in a very high throughput backbone for the Internet, and lots of software that works, and databases and server structure. All that stuff has allowed what we have today, which has changed all our lives. …that's what all this speculative mania built.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 04:39:43 PM

The point is that the .com bubble was followed by the .com renaissance - arguably the most important 10 to 15 years in human history.
This.

Bitcoin is probably going to tank at some point. This may even be "it." Or it might have been back in 2011. But it, or a successor, will come back, stronger than ever.

I'm very long-term. Smiley

MatTheCat

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:45:43 PM

The dotcom bubble was never going to kill the internet, it was just going to result in billions of notional capital going up in smoke resulting in economic devastation which in turn lead to the governments and central banks rigging the game to create a another credit bubble to 'save' the economy from the dotcom crash. This time the bubble was based upon real estate.

This.

Bitcoin is probably going to tank at some point. This may even be "it." Or it might have been back in 2011. But it, or a successor, will come back, stronger than ever.

I should probably be more directing this reply more at those who state that just because the dotcom bubble never killed the internet, it was an inconsequential blip in the system. But the point of this thread seemed to be to point out that Bitcoin is in the grip of a mania, and the majority of those invested or involved with Bitcoin, seem to be under the spell of the mania. When the tulip mania died, as many of the Bitcoin bullmarket zealots have pointed out, the Tulip industry never died out, but vast (projected) fortunes were lost and many investors were forced to rethink their entire paradigm. The fact that tulips have turned into a multi-million dollar global industry some 350 years down the line, I imagine would be quite irrelevant to any Dutch investor who sold his house next to the palace to get in on some hot tulip action.

This thread was started before Bitcoin went up £175, down to £70, and now sits at £80. This makes damn ugly viewing to all but the most idiotic (hey, just another great buying opportunity type) investor. I wouldn't in a million years put any money into Bitcoins right now if I needed to hold onto them for more than a few hours and probably the risk averse majority are thinking the same. So unless the master manipulators (whoever they may be) have other ideas, I would state that the bubble has popped for now and Bitcoin needs to find stability at much lower prices. This kind of makes this thread both relevant, and prescient, not to mention those who have attacked the OP look like the fools that they were always sooner rather than later, going to reveal themselves to be.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:50:13 PM

My term is longer Cool

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:28:56 PM

The dotcom bubble was never going to kill the internet, it was just going to result in billions of notional capital going up in smoke resulting in economic devastation which in turn lead to the governments and central banks rigging the game to create a another credit bubble to 'save' the economy from the dotcom crash. This time the bubble was based upon real estate.

And the "bitcoin bubble" could never kill cryptocurrency. Are we seeing some irrational exuberance? Yeah, probably. But 10, 20 years down the line, when shit has settled down some, the fortunes lost - and made - will be seen as they are: simply the cost of any new technology. There are always going to be those who see something like this and think, "Holy shit, this is the best thing since pancakes!" And it is, make no mistake about it.

But if you sell your house to go "all-in" on something this new, don't be too surprised when you need to ask to move back in with Mom. Get rich quick schemes never work out as planned.

MatTheCat

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:55:11 PM

And the "bitcoin bubble" could never kill cryptocurrency. Are we seeing some irrational exuberance? Yeah, probably. But 10, 20 years down the line, when shit has settled down some, the fortunes lost - and made - will be seen as they are: simply the cost of any new technology. There are always going to be those who see something like this and think, "Holy shit, this is the best thing since pancakes!" And it is, make no mistake about it.

But if you sell your house to go "all-in" on something this new, don't be too surprised when you need to ask to move back in with Mom. Get rich quick schemes never work out as planned.

I tend to agree with this.

However, I did see a thread where some guy was discussing whether to turn everything in his 401K (or wotever it is) into Bitcoins. Worse still, was the volume of nutters who were agreeing that this would be very best possible course of action he could take. Hopefully, he never actually done this.

I feel bad for my noob brother who has lost the lion share of £10K. When he first came to me with serious queries about how to buy Bitcoin (after 2 years of disinterest on the subject), Bitcoin was at $45. I recommended that it would be a very risky investment and that he should stay well clear. Then, as we all know, the price rose to around $150. This time, I strongly recommend that he didn't invest but since I had made him miss out on already massive profits, I had to concede that although I knew it was classic speculative bubble of the worst kind, I had no idea where it may stop. Since my advice already cost him 200% profits, this time he never heeded my advice. By the time he bought his Bitcoins (4 day delay for cash transfer at MtGox), he paid £120 each. In the following couple of days, the price rocketed to around £200, then down to £70, then back to £127. I strongly recommended that he get out as soon as a good opportunity arose, but as they say, 'bulls get rich, bears get rich, pigs get slaughtered'. Quite probably, had he bought in at $45, he would be in the same position today, much like my friend 'deathcode' from whom I (along with many others) suffered much patronising and condecension, on the grounds that we doubted his beliefs as to what the driving forces behind the exponential rise of Bitcoin were.......

.....still, he got his motorbike at least!

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 11:58:31 AM

The comparison to the tulip mania is not valid. Tulips had no real value and was a craze driving prices. Bitcoin is so powerful an idea that it may change world finance. I am buying today.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
rothschild_666

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 02:42:28 PM

Most of you are missing the point.  This is not a comparison of a BitCoin to a Tulip.  It's a comparison of the price action of BitCoins to the price action of Tulips in 17th Century Netherlands and the psychological implications.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: