Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:32:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Power draw from PSU 1000 gold v 1000 platinum  (Read 3598 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 04:24:08 AM

The 1000 watt rosewill quark was on sale,for 110 usd at newegg.

jonnyguru.com  gave it a solid review and if you can get it for 110 usd and plan to draw 750 watts

It is a no brainer to buy it over a gold 1000 watter

Jonnyguru also mentioned the sleeve-bearing fan in the thing, which IMO makes this not only a bad idea, but a "hell NO don't even bother looking at it" failure.

Seems like a good unit otherwise, too bad they went BLOODY CHEAP on the fan.

fans are easy fixes and i mount the rosewills with fan pointed to the sky which effectively 2x the life.

Fans are easy fixes *IF* you catch the dead fan BEFORE the overheat kills the PS or in some cases the PS AND other components in the rig.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 04:35:22 AM

Just calculate price difference for electricity consumption let's say for 1-2 year and psu cost. Also, it's important to compare apples to apples, so it should be the same brand psu.

About 10-year warranties in some countries it's just a scam. You have to send broken unit to US or HK and pay for fedex or dhl yourself. So using in your calculations 10 year does not make sense.

As far as the calculations, it of course varies on the exact efficiency, power costs, etc, but even that $0.15 cent a day saving so many of you are poof-poohing, it still adds up to $54.75/yr. So even at only 4 years it would be nearly a $200 savings. I think spending an extra $40-$60 upfront is worth the extended payback.

Again, it depends a lot on your electric cost.

To "save" $1 a day for me would take a jump to TITANIUM power supplies from my current Golds - and would involve a few THOUSAND in outlay given how many PS I'd have to replace and their sizes.
 If I moved my entire farm to Plat from Gold I'd only save 50-60 cents a day *IF* I was paying going rates for this area (I'm currently on a flat-rate contract) - presuming I could find Plat supplies that actually managed 2% better efficiency than my current almost-all-Seasonic mostly-X-series horde of supplies (Seasonic X-series are some of the most efficient Gold-rated on the market, and come bloody close to Plat efficiency in actual usage).

I also prefer the security of using a known very high quality lasts bloody near forever supply from a manufacturer with a VERY high reputation earned over a very long time, for *THAT* I'm willing to pay somewhat of a premium. The well above average efficiency is a nice little bonus.

For folks with electric rates on the high side of 10c/KWH it's a lot easier to justify going with good Platinum supplies over good Fold supplies.
 At under 5c it's VERY tough to do so.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
twofreckles (OP)

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 02:18:29 PM

OK hard data:

I have 2 exactly same rigs, each 6 GPU rx 470 Nitro,  the only difference is PSU

1st has corsair 1000x - it is gold
2nd has corsair HX1000i - it is platinum

Power draw from 1000x is actually a little bit lower. It is only 5 Watt, but what is most important there platinum isn't any better... Is corsair platinum not the best choice when it comes to mining as efficient as possible? When I compare graphs of those 2 PSU, the looks exactly the same, or at least I can't see any difference.

antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 02:53:02 PM

OK hard data:

I have 2 exactly same rigs, each 6 GPU rx 470 Nitro,  the only difference is PSU

1st has corsair 1000x - it is gold
2nd has corsair HX1000i - it is platinum

You still need to try plat on rig1 and gold at rig2, then it is really hard data.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: