Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:42:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: cash out and buy silver?  (Read 1310 times)
txoomy (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:23:41 PM

I wonder if it's good to cash out of BTC now and buy silver, which seems to be in a nice dip.

Thoughts?

http://silverprice.org/charts/history/silver_20_year_o_usd.png

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 10:26:10 PM

Don't cash out, but if you have a significant amount of bitcoins you might want to diversify your portfolio.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
snakebit

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:36:46 PM

Go for it, but I wouldn't cash out all of your BTC though.
veteranBtc

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:41:34 PM

Want my advice?
Keep some btc!

syn999

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:56:08 PM

silver can be controlled by government, aaccording to max kaiser, the silver should be 300 now buy government is undervalue it

nrgBitmagic

Activity: 51

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:02:30 PM

I've been holding gold and silver for years now. In my ongoing process to separate myself from an economy that seems headed for the big wall, I sold SLV shares and am now navigating the "buy bitcoins!" gauntlet. Nothing I have ever done in the world of investing has ever been this arcane and difficult. IMHO, this is *the* main reason btc will have a challenge going Main Street to become a viable alternative to the dying dollar.

I would diversify and be ready for anything! Including a trip back to the 19th century, in which case btc will be nowhere to be found and that farmer will only accept silver coins for his chickens.
jackl526

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:54:05 AM

silver can be controlled by government, aaccording to max kaiser, the silver should be 300 now buy government is undervalue it

How are BTC immune to the same type of manipulation? How do we know that this drastic price inflation isn't a result of government manipulation?

It's hard to take your comment seriously when you claim government control without explaining why or even how they control it.
Thanks
davidorentol

Activity: 144

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:14:05 AM

good idea
bitcoinnoob13

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:43:27 AM

keep your bitcoins man..you might regret selling them!
Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:45:47 AM

It's always a good idea not to have all your eggs in one basket.

Having said that, the upside potential of Bitcoins is far greater then that of silver... so is the risk.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:47:10 AM

How are BTC immune to the same type of manipulation? How do we know that this drastic price inflation isn't a result of government manipulation?

It's hard to take your comment seriously when you claim government control without explaining why or even how they control it.
Thanks

great question! the reason is because there is incentive for people to allow their silver to be helled by a third party since it is very difficult to change ownership of physical silver in a global market. With btc on the other hand there is no incentive for individuals to allow a third party to hold their bitcoins for them, since we can exchange them with anyone we like without relying on an intermediary.

what this means is that since all the silver is held in a central repository it is easy for that repository to lie about how much silver they have.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
btchaver

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:49:58 AM

I wonder if it's good to cash out of BTC now and buy silver, which seems to be in a nice dip.

Thoughts?

why miss out on double returns
Sage

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:56:25 AM

Thoughts?

Double returns are only returns if you cash out at the right time.  How many have that kind of trading acumen to know when that time is?

Diversifying would be a smart move for a layman who wants to spread their risk.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:03:58 AM

Thoughts?

Double returns are only returns if you cash out at the right time.  How many have that kind of trading acumen to know when that time is?

my strategy is to ignore the price and keep my ear to the ground. When average joe and betty on the street are talking about how they just bought some bitcoin, ill know its time.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Sage

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:34:04 AM

Thoughts?

my strategy is to ignore the price and keep my ear to the ground. When average joe and betty on the street are talking about how they just bought some bitcoin, ill know its time.

AMEN!  Far from that now though.  I suspect a few bubble cycles will happen before we are at that stage.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:04:51 PM

Thoughts?

AMEN!  Far from that now though.  I suspect a few bubble cycles will happen before we are at that stage.

almost certainly this is true. But if this is true and you hold for the long haul than you will come out ontop.

kapolani

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:08:58 PM

Just starting to get on the BTC train.

I have been stacking silver and gold for a year or so now.

My Au & Ag stack is not for investments purposes. It's more a store of wealth for me.

The man can tax my fiat, but can't touch my PM's!

Only thing I worry about BTC is the man outlawing it.
diamanddog

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:17:40 PM

nice idea
btcminer021

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Mine hard!

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:44:20 PM

Be sure to get PHYSICAL silver in your own possession. SLV is for day traders and of course the price is manipulated.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:50:23 PM

Just starting to get on the BTC train.

I have been stacking silver and gold for a year or so now.

My Au & Ag stack is not for investments purposes. It's more a store of wealth for me.

The man can tax my fiat, but can't touch my PM's!

Only thing I worry about BTC is the man outlawing it.

he cant try but then we can just run it through the darknets instead of the clearnet =)

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: