Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:39:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help, Want to Buy More  (Read 1087 times)
Kazu (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:33:32 PM

I have just received a ridiculous amount of money (ridiculous at least for me, probably not for the early adopters with 1000s of BTC) that I have been told to invest in BTC, several orders of magnitude larger than the amount I have invested in Bitcoin so far. I will receive the money on Wednesday, which probably means I could find a way to get it into Bitcoin by Friday.

I was pretty happy about it all, until today. What the heck should I do? What are the chances that Bitcoin will go down - at least to below $200 - for a little bit at least?

I know its hard to tell, but any advice you could give me would be helpful.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:34:58 PM

I have just received a ridiculous amount of money (ridiculous at least for me, probably not for the early adopters with 1000s of BTC) that I have been told to invest in BTC, several orders of magnitude larger than the amount I have invested in Bitcoin so far. I will receive the money on Wednesday, which probably means I could find a way to get it into Bitcoin by Friday.

I was pretty happy about it all, until today. What the heck should I do? What are the chances that Bitcoin will go down - at least to below $200 - for a little bit at least?

There's always a chance, but my instinct says right now is the lowest we will see for quite some time.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
hubbabubbabaker

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Sometimes - history needs a push.

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:35:24 PM

The real odds? I don't know. Flip a coin.

"To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy." -Sun Tzu
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:35:48 PM

Smells pump and dump.
Gordonium

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:39:43 PM

Buy and hold. And spend some every now and then but after that buy even more Bitcoins than what you just spent.
Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:45:18 PM

I assume theese are someone elses money they want you to invest.

Then you should keep them updated and give them a link to the MtGox chart. Also explain that if you invest and even trade with the money, that you take no responsibillity if the value suddently go down to 10%. There are lots of risks involved, but if they say "go ahead", then just go ahead. :-)

BTW: There is also the option of you buying bitcoin and then transfer the BTC to the investor so that he/she can trade BTC.

No matter what - I would suggest that you talk to the person just before exchanging the dollars for BTC, to get a final OK.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
randrace

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:51:03 PM

I am still buying, but no more than I can stand to lose. Prepare yourself for the possible outcomes and have a plan. Stick to your plan and don't get jumpy. If it's going to stress you out, do not buy more BTC.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:52:23 PM

yeah I'd explain the risks involved thoroughly if that's not your money. just to be safe Smiley it is a very risky investment in a very young startup, and there has to be no delusions.

i am satoshi
phatsphere

Activity: 763

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:24:01 PM

in game theory, there is something called "mixed strategy" (wikipedia it). the idea is that if you have several choices, split and do parts of them based on the expected probablility. e.g. "flipping the coin" means, you should invest 50% now and 50% sometimes later … instead of everything now and nothing later.
you can also split this more than once, e.g. 30% now, 30% the next day if it goes up "significantly", 40% later. or keep the 70% if it goes a bit down (weekend dip) and then repeat.
blablabla
nothing of this is really helpful, but you can make a plan like that, test it on the data you already have from the last 3 or 4 fridays and test it.
then execute it without much thinking …
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 09:31:26 PM

OK heres the deal.

buy it all now! ( no fucking around, do market buy order NOW! )

then invest in your coins here https://www.havelockinvestments.com/ ( SDICE is very hot right now, and VTX you want want to place a low ball bid )

if bitcoin prices start to fall, DUMP your coins into these to ventures  and buy some LTC

good luck!  Cool

Note* this is not financial advice! this is some random person on the internet telling you to buy random things!  Cheesy

Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:35:13 PM

Personally, I would allocate 1/2 to BTC, and 1/2 to something else - maybe gold, which looks to be rebounding after being very oversold. But that's a more conservative strategy trying to stay diversified. I think BTC will go to $1000 *at least* long term, but I also think there will be a pretty big correction somewhere between here and there, so if you buy Friday, you must be mentally prepared to weather a big correction if it appears.   
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 10:41:09 PM

I have done well to just take the money you have and buy at whatever price it is at that moment.

I was asking the same questions as you when the price was around $47 (I was hoping it would dip into the $30s just one more time before buying). Fortunately someone said to just go ahead and buy.

The next day it shot up over $50 and is still going.

And do not look at it like you are investing in Bitcoin.

You are shifting into a new currency. Like you just moved to Mexico and will be using the Peso from now on.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 10:51:25 PM

i'm expecting a correction, there appears to be a long term trend line stretching back to before the last bull mania which might provide some resistance. Or it might not.. what do i know i'm just another guy on the internet telling you to do stuff  Cheesy

If it was me, i'd maybe start by using about half the fund to buy bitcoins then shortly after buy the rest, but I'm quite an impatient guy and once i've made my mind up about somethign don't like waiting around. Even if there is a pullback or even this bull market peaks then crashes, so what? I think bitcoins in the long term will end up a lot higher than today's prices, if you buy at the wrong time that just means you have to hold for longer.
Kazu (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:52:27 PM

Thanks for the input.

I have tried to explain Bitcoin to the investor, they don't seem to really get it, but they act like they like it anyway. They just say "do what you think is best" pretty much.

I've decided I'll probably buy more, but I sort of want to pick my time. Does anybody have any more interesting technical indicators? Thanks.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:55:34 PM

10-20% now, maybe 10% when price dips 5-10% and so on. Max at 50% then wait for slower donward trend cash out and when the trend pickups again go all in.

Not that you should ever listen to me, I don't have a cent in this...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
aurora

Activity: 158
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 11:41:59 PM

i would hold until at least 2140. I guarantee you will take profit then

Dym.game
Double your money. Use Martingale/anti strategies. 1 to 1 odds
nebulus