Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:03:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wallet.dat virus  (Read 1820 times)
crash893 (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 05:49:14 AM

I was wondering Is there anyway to encrypt my bitcoin wallet so that a virus didn't pick it up and use it with out my control?

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 05:50:55 AM

I was wondering Is there anyway to encrypt my bitcoin wallet so that a virus didn't pick it up and use it with out my control?

http://truecrypt.org
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet
crash893 (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 06:06:29 AM

thanks

btw
truecrypt wouldn't help if your wallet was active
nemo

Activity: 500
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 06:07:55 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2011, 06:25:15 AM by SomeoneWeird

email me your wallet and I'll keep it safe from scumbags. I charge 1 bitcoin for this service.

He's joking. - SomeoneWeird
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 06:13:07 AM

thanks

btw
truecrypt wouldn't help if your wallet was active

If your wallets active nothing can protect it.
Vanquistador

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 06:22:21 AM

email me your wallet and I'll keep it safe from scumbags. I charge 1 bitcoin for this service.

'Obvious' joke is obvious... but since we are in the Newbies forum:  Don't listen to this guy-sending your wallet file is the same as sending him your BTCs.
crash893 (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:59:44 PM

thats kinda of my point

I see the that they suggest a savings/ checking method for useing bitcon keeping one wallet for storeing most of my coin long term

I guess my real question is why don't i have the option to password protect my wallet at the client level.

that way if a virus did take my wallet he wouldn't be able to open it unless he had my password

for all the crypto in this project it seems like that would have been pretty easy to implement
AWOLRanger

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:04:05 PM

I don't know that it's the right way to do it, but i copy my wallet.dat to a flash drive, and delete the copy on my computer.  Then, whenever I need it, I can just copy the thumbdrive copy back to my computer, use it, copy it back to my thumbdrive when done, and delete the copy on my computer again.
RambJoe

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:16:03 PM

Not the wallet the program is currently reading from.

But for back up wallets, you can use gpg

gpg -c wallet.dat

Supporting encrypted wallet.dats would be a nice feature though.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:20:50 PM

I guess my real question is why don't i have the option to password protect my wallet at the client level.

Only because the developers haven't gotten there yet.  Really, we want different clients to fork out and handle security in different ways.  We definately don't want a monolithic approach to security with bitcoin.  Which is one reason why the wallet.dat file isn't encrypted natively to begin with.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
davem

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:27:22 PM

wow, this thread answered a lot for me. Sorta.
I was wondering what I needed to backup in the install to keep the balance safe.
The wallet.dat is where?
I've search for a wallet.dat and can't find one.

hmmm...
AWOLRanger

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:32:31 PM

wow, this thread answered a lot for me. Sorta.
I was wondering what I needed to backup in the install to keep the balance safe.
The wallet.dat is where?
I've search for a wallet.dat and can't find one.

hmmm...

If you are windows 7, it's 'hidden' in the appdata folder.  go to %appdata% and look in the bitcoin folder.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: