Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:34:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox & Litecoin - Its all a rumor gone out of control  (Read 13670 times)
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:28:58 PM

rumor or not litecoins = yay!

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matauc12

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:31:02 PM

Im sorry but if you think a twit is official you are wrong. Also can I ask whether anyone in their right mind would want to trade something on a site that lags like hell. When ever a buy up happens theres lag, but not on a sell off. Its the gox guys manipulating the markets and most people cant see that. Its stupid. If anyone wanted to buy ltc they would move their btc from gox to btce... so ergo having gox accept it wont make the biggest of differences.

An official statement would be on their site. Not on a twitter or IRC feed. Those are not the channels of the users, more where they can gain a bit of publicity

I disagree. Litecoin is really only utilized by a small segment of nerds among a slightly less small segment of nerds, though the latter is briskly growing to include average investors as articles about Bitcoin begin to saturate mainstream media. Most everybody who knows anything about Bitcoin, even the casual reader of mainstream publications, is aware of MtGox. BTC-E on the other hand -- what's that? When MtGox makes an official announcement of Litecoin and Namecoin support, it's going to open up the floodgates and expose a whole new segment of people to the chains and, in theory anyway, bring in a TON of new money. People are going to want to diversify their eCurrency holdings beyond just Bitcoin and MtGox is going to enable them to do that by offering viable alternatives.
+1 to that, that has been my exact argument word for word for this common comment. And it makes a lot more sense than the comments that prequels this answer.
VforVictory

Activity: 280

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:32:56 PM

Im sorry but if you think a twit is official you are wrong. Also can I ask whether anyone in their right mind would want to trade something on a site that lags like hell. When ever a buy up happens theres lag, but not on a sell off. Its the gox guys manipulating the markets and most people cant see that. Its stupid. If anyone wanted to buy ltc they would move their btc from gox to btce... so ergo having gox accept it wont make the biggest of differences.

An official statement would be on their site. Not on a twitter or IRC feed. Those are not the channels of the users, more where they can gain a bit of publicity

I disagree. Litecoin is really only utilized by a small segment of nerds among a slightly less small segment of nerds, though the latter is briskly growing to include average investors as articles about Bitcoin begin to saturate mainstream media. Most everybody who knows anything about Bitcoin, even the casual reader of mainstream publications, is aware of MtGox. BTC-E on the other hand -- what's that? When MtGox makes an official announcement of Litecoin and Namecoin support, it's going to open up the floodgates and expose a whole new segment of people to the chains and, in theory anyway, bring in a TON of new money. People are going to want to diversify their eCurrency holdings beyond just Bitcoin and MtGox is going to enable them to do that by offering viable alternatives.

It's also going to expose MtGox to even *more* DDoS. Because, you know, why go after LTC pools when you can stick it to the man.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:34:53 PM

It's also going to expose MtGox to even *more* DDoS. Because, you know, why go after LTC pools when you can stick it to the man.

That's a risk that I'm sure the folks at MtGox have taken into consideration, and apparently they've deemed the juice worthy of the squeeze.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
VforVictory

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:35:57 PM

That's a risk that I'm sure the folks at MtGox have taken into consideration, and apparently they've deemed the juice worthy of the squeeze.

I can only imagine how many people will end up in the hospital due to massive hand to face trauma when that happens...
matauc12

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:45:51 PM

I can only imagine how many people will end up in the hospital due to massive hand to face trauma when that happens...
When they say things like "we are going to reinforce DDOS and working closely with one of the best DDOS protection company".... Well its probably not only PR. At one point, when the protection is big enough, it profoundly discourages even attempts...

If you guys have so much shit to say about a company that honestly didn't really do anything wrong and has been adjusting to its environment pretty well and also held itself accountable the one time it got hacked. I'm not a fanboi, I don't even have an account there. I just hear people bitch bitch and bitch for not many reasons honestly.
VforVictory

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:52:36 PM

When they say things like "we are going to reinforce DDOS and working closely with one of the best DDOS protection company".... Well its probably not only PR. At one point, when the protection is big enough, it profoundly discourages even attempts...

If you guys have so much shit to say about a company that honestly didn't really do anything wrong and has been adjusting to its environment pretty well and also held itself accountable the one time it got hacked. I'm not a fanboi, I don't even have an account there. I just hear people bitch bitch and bitch for not many reasons honestly.

Uhhh, Coinotron says it has protection too...but that doesn't stop attackers. Gox has been down plenty enough too, so whatever claims of protection are probably not working/going to work. Especially once all the DDoSers see that they can earn more attacking MtGox for LTC than the LTC Pools.
matauc12

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:55:52 PM

Uhhh, Coinotron says it has protection too...but that doesn't stop attackers. Gox has been down plenty enough too, so whatever claims of protection are probably not working/going to work. Especially once all the DDoSers see that they can earn more attacking MtGox for LTC than the LTC Pools.
DDOS protection is quantitative, not yes/no. You can adapt to it, and also can have a dynamic package once you are a that big client. I am quite positive this was a peak and adjustments aren't hard to make. I just see it getting better, not worse.

But hey, you aren't the first pessimist in this world.
VforVictory

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:56:36 PM

DDOS protection is quantitative, not yes/no. You can adapt to it, and also can have a dynamic package once you are a that big client. I am quite positive this was a peak and adjustments aren't hard to make. I just see it getting better, not worse.

Skepticism is quite healthy, especially in this market.
matauc12

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:59:24 PM

I agree better safe than sorry, but in what were talking about right now, I don't necessarily the benefit...
VforVictory

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:04:02 AM

I agree better safe than sorry, but in what were talking about right now, I don't necessarily the benefit...

If you ran MtGox would you be skeptical of your DDoS protection. especially when you add a new currency far more associated with attacks?  THat's the general gist of the past few posts, I think.

I mean, you're free to believe it will all go smoothly, but eh...
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:53:06 AM

By confirmed you mean some twitter message? Get real. -_-
Alright, MagicalTux confirmed in his official twitter that MtGox is adding LTC but this shouldn't be considered as a positive clue?
Of course, every company CEO loves spreading hoaxes about their firm on Twitter!
Or maybe *you* get real?
VforVictory

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:56:04 AM

Alright, MagicalTux confirmed in his official twitter that MtGox is adding LTC but this shouldn't be considered as a positive clue?
Of course, every company CEO loves spreading hoaxes about their firm on Twitter!
Or maybe *you* get real?

If I ran an official company twitter I probably wouldn't name it "Magical Tux".
freequant

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:57:51 AM

Those "meaningless" tweet you are talking about would be enough to put them under trouble for market manipulation. Regulated or not, that is not an avenue that seems likely.

Cryptocurrencies aren't regulated. There aren't any laws forbidding market manipulation in non-regulated instruments.
Beside, announcing support for a commodity / instrument is hardly market manipulation.
freequant

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:00:52 AM

Or maybe *you* get real?

Whatever you would do is irrelevant.
VforVictory

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:01:39 AM

Or maybe *you* get real?

Whatever some dude tweets is irrelevant*

Moving on...
freequant

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:24:02 AM

Or maybe *you* get real?

Whatever some dude tweets is irrelevant*

Moving on...
You are irrelevant (and on ignore from now)
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:40:24 AM

Like them or not btc-e.com have a 50,000 BTC volume/day and growing fast and a lot of it is from alt trades. They seem to handle things pretty well considering, I've been using them for 2 weeks and despite the DDOS their site is up for me 99% of the time, and things get executed pretty quickly.

Mtgox struggle just with handling 150,000 BTC volume and will soon have to up their game which they have dominated for long enough. Competition is healthy.

They will begin to trade the alts or they will (eventually) fall to the competition.
seleme
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 01:43:49 AM

Tweet is in no way confirmation that MTGox CEO confirmed anything unless you know the guy personally and he tweeted something you ask him to do when you had a coffee the other day.

API link is definitely confirmation that they have plan to do it. When? We'll see.

███████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████████▄
  ██████████████████████████▄
 ███████   ▀████████▀   ████▄
██████████    █▀  ▀    ██████▄
███████████▄▄▀  ██  ▀▄▄████████
███████████          █████████
███████████▀▀▄  ██  ▄▀▀████████
██████████▀   ▀▄  ▄▀   ▀██████▀
 ███████  ▄██▄████▄█▄  █████▀
  ██████████████████████████▀
    ██████████████████████▀
       ███████████████▀▀
.Duelbits.
..THE MOST REWARDING CASINO......
   ▄▄▄▄████▀███▄▄▄▄▄
▄███▄▀▄██▄   ▄██▄▀▄███▄
████▄█▄███▄█▄███▄█▄████
███████████████████████   ▄██▄
██     ██     ██     ██   ▀██▀
██ ▀▀█ ██ ▀▀█ ██ ▀▀█ ██    ██
██  █  ██  █  ██  █  ██
█▌  ██
██     ██     ██     ████  ██
█████████████████████████  ██
████████████████████████████▀
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████▌
       +4,000      
PROVABLY FAIR
GAMES
   $500,000  
MONTHLY
PRIZE POOL
      $10,000     
BLACKJACK
GIVEAWAY
matauc12

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:46:13 AM

If you guys have so much shit to say about a company that honestly didn't really do anything wrong

Didn't really do anything wrong? How about profiting off Bitcoin while throwing one of it's core values down the toilet? They want your name, address, phone number, a recent bill, and a stool sample or they'll lock your funds up tight with no recourse.
That's is AML verification which is required by law...........
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: