Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:55:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved] Avalon Batch 1 Unit won't power up.  (Read 1322 times)
zero-asic (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:59:58 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2013, 05:33:36 AM by zero-asic

After much anticipation my batch one Avalon arrived today, but I can't get it to power on.  I swapped out the PSU and even tried unplugging everything but the power supply never even spins up the fans.  I've tried 2 PSUs.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Edit: I opened a support ticket.

Eloipool + bitcoind Ubuntu 12.04 install scripts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=171782.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
libertybuck

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:57:44 AM

After much anticipation my batch one Avalon arrived today, but I can't get it to power on.  I swapped out the PSU and even tried unplugging everything but the power supply never even spins up the fans.  I've tried 2 PSUs.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Edit: I opened a support ticket.

Are there any LED inside avalon lightened ?

Maybe your power cable is broken ?

BitSyncom

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:58:38 AM

check if all the cables are connected correctly.

coastermonger

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:00:27 AM

Grab a voltmeter and verify that the outlet has power, the PSUs have power, and that you have tried one from the confirmed working PSU list.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#Power

Pop it open and carefully, after touching the case to discharge static, make sure that nothing is unplugged. 

Care to post pics of the inside so we know what you're seeing?  Maybe someone will catch something you've missed.

Bitrated user: Rees.
Wayne_Chang

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:11:41 AM

How about disconnect 2 of the 3 modules and test 1 by 1 to check if 1 of the hashing modules has problem?
Big Time Coin

Activity: 332

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:15:23 AM

1) Make sure the PSU will turn on without being plugged into anything with the "paperclip test"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khpnx21oydg

If it does not power on then you have a bad (or 2 bad) PSU and need a replacement, I recommend at least 750 watt preferably 1000W+

2) If PSU does power on, then make sure you are connecting the power cables correctly:

Note: some of the internal cables and connectors could come loose during shipping.  Not likely but possible, they should be checked to make sure a flush and tight connection is made - make sure everything is plugged all the way in.

The far left 6-pin port connects via a short cable to the controller board.  Don't mess with it.  Next to it is the ATX_24p connector.  It has 24 pins and it connects to the big 24 pin connector (some PSU have 20 + 4 that need to be pinched together during plug in, this can cause a problem if the 20 pin clicks in but the +4 pin is not completely plugged in).  Make sure the PSU 24 pin is plugged in correctly, with the depressable tab on "top" facing to the right where it matches up with the tab catcher on "top". It should click when it is all the way plugged in.  It is a tight fit and hard to get this plug in without hurting your fingers or using needlenose pliers, put do what you must to get it in.

All the 4 connectors in the middle are for internal cables that power the ASIC cards, they should already be connected.  Don't mess with them.

Another difficult plug is the 8-pin EPS_12V on the top right.  That is for the 8 pin motherboard power cable on your PSU.  Some PSU have a 4+4 that you have to squeeze together to plug in.  Either way, make sure it is plugged in fully and in the correct direction with depressor tab matching catching tab.  This will make it "backwards" relative to the 24-pin cable, with the "top" of each connector facing each other.  Go figure.

The easy and obvious two plugs are the PCIE_12V_1 and PCIE_12V_2.  These connect to the PCIE connectors, obviously, with some PSU having 8-pin and others having 6+2 pin.  Once again if squeezing together, make sure both parts are tight and flush, plug all the way in.

So you should have plugged in 24-pin, 8-pin CPU, and two 8-pin PCIE power cables, then see if it turns on.

3) At this point it should give you a red light for something wrong or a blue light for things going OK.  Let us know if you continue to have problems.

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel
zero-asic (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:08:08 AM

Thanks for your advice!  I got it working!  It was a loose cable and thanks to your advice I found it.

Eloipool + bitcoind Ubuntu 12.04 install scripts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=171782.0
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:14:34 AM

Thanks for your advice!  I got it working!  It was a loose cable and thanks to your advice I found it.

Good to hear, happy hashing Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: