Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:01:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 and five or more RX480  (Read 5006 times)
Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 08:29:19 PM

as long as your lanes are set, 7x 480 is no different then 7x anything. supply proper power, use powered usb risers ( 12v for winners ) , and your rig will fly. decent ram, ssd, 1840g. mine on. it works, we have many. 480s, 470s, 390s, 290s, 280s, 7 works fine with all, same mobo exactly. works with 8 as well.

How can you make it work with 8 cards ? Smiley  Huh

I assume he did not try the RX cards
styleruk

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 11:18:43 PM

I'm setting up this rig.  Same motherboard, with Sapphire 480 Nitro 8gb cards.  Cannot get past 4.  I did use drivers mentioned above, then tried again with very latest divers.  4 work fine whilst installing one at a time, (working from slot 1 up), then on the second x16 slot...nothing.  Then the 6th slot..nothing.
Has anyone else progressed from this in windows 10?
mikewetminer88

Activity: 30

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 04:02:37 AM

I had successfully run 7x RX480 8GB on Z97 Gaming 5. I use older driver like 16.9.2 or tried 16.11.x. Set at bios, 8x4x4x, Gen 1.
Extra thing I did was using Window Testing mode on by below step:
Open Command Prompt , enter bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and press Enter. Then enter bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON and press Enter.

Hope this help.
styleruk

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 07:27:47 AM

I had successfully run 7x RX480 8GB on Z97 Gaming 5. I use older driver like 16.9.2 or tried 16.11.x. Set at bios, 8x4x4x, Gen 1.
Open Command Prompt , enter bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and press Enter. Then enter bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON and press Enter.

Hope this help.
that's interesting, never done the testing mode, I shall try that tonight.  I have tried the older driver before I tried then new driver, I was only getting 18Mhs on 4 cards.  the latest driver runs at 25Mhs on 4.
styleruk

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 07:36:53 PM

Just noticed the 2 missing cards are hidden in device manager, so I enabled one and after some rebooting and messing around, I now have 5.  So one to go.  It did not work with the 6th, now stuck in a loop of repairing windows so something has gone wrong.
Might end up re-installing windows and installing gpu;s from 7th slot down one at a time with an older driver.
styleruk

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 08:55:53 PM

Hope this help.
that's interesting, never done the testing mode, I shall try that tonight.  I have tried the older driver before I tried then new driver, I was only getting 18Mhs on 4 cards.  the latest driver runs at 25Mhs on 4.
Tried the bcdedit.exe thing and it could not be opened 'access denied'.  Not sure what to do with that.

Next thing I tried was removing all cards, booting on 6th PCI-E slot first.  Then reboot and connect each one counting down.  Every time I came accros a x16 slot, I had to move the HDMI cable to that.
When I got to PCI-E slot 1, windows simply does not boot up.  I remove that card and boom.  24.5Mh/s x 5.
I shall continue...
styleruk

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 09:22:20 PM

Also, I notice on this video...
https://autosurfbrasil.com.br/bitcoin/btc-how-to-build-a-7-gpu-mining-rig-for-zcash-ethereum-monero-crypto-altcoins-msi-z97-gaming-5-ganhar-bitcoin/

...that he is using x1 to x16 risers on all slots.  That includes on the x16 slots.  I'm using 4 x1 to x16 risers and 2 x16 to x16 risers.  Would that make a difference.  I can't see how as I have 5 cards running.
styleruk

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 10:02:49 PM

WooHoo...done it.  Using a combination of different help and common sense...Thanks klak for the note you put up they helped.
I cleared the driver using AMD clean tool
Rebooted
Installed 16.12 on one card...the 6th slot, not 7th from cpu
then shutdown, instal next, restart.

Last time I did this it did not work but this time I waited a long time before shutting down (5-10mins)  especially the last card...that took ages, looked like the screen had frozen with nothing on the desktop.  but I walked away and made a cup of tea, when I came back...the 6th had arrived.

fired up miner and it cut out  (had this before too).  I think it was too much power for my 1200w supply.  So I turned everything off in the bias and device manager that I did not need.  watched the power intake and it runs at 1080 W...

So now to work on getting that power down a bit, but at least I havve 147Mh/s

Think I'll run it at that speed for a few days.

OH, also put the PSU fan on permanent in case it was somethinng that got hot too quick in there.

Thanks all and I hope my experience helps someone else.

Si
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: