Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:59:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to create cryptocurrency for a small nation-roleplaying game?  (Read 1615 times)
Britainacoin (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:18:44 AM

I'm looking into the possibilities of cloning the bitcoin software for a small group of people (no more than 50-100) who do online nation roleplaying stuff, and I thought it might be a bit of fun for to have an official currency that isn't bitcoin/litecoin etc. The coins are for role playing reasons and therefore are not intended to gain any real world value. Because of this, I'd want to make the "cost" of mining very low by CPU mining.

Have no idea where to start, just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:41:28 AM

All you need to do is to do a copy of the Litecoin client (best for CPU mining so your friends don't have too much unfair advantage if they ramp up mining with GPUs), allocate a specific address prefix and port to your new crypto (look around what is already taken), define the IRC channel to find peer, and mine the genesis block. All the details are in the Bitcoin wiki. You will need also (unless you want to maintain a list of IPs of all participant) to create an IRC channel for you new coin, and don't advertize it if you don't want to have stangers inviting themselves to your chain; actually, starting your own IRC server and use it for peer matching is the best if you want to keep some control on what your coin is becoming.

Now, I'm very curious about what exactly you are meaning by "online nation roleplaying stuff". Alt-currency forum probably isn't the best place to discuss the grame mechanics of a role playing game involving crypto, but if you can create a thread about your idea in the "Project Discussion" subforum, that could be an interesting discussion, and you'd probably get some good ideas in the process.
BitHits

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 12:56:35 AM

Damn! Why would you suggest LTC.

Why not clone BTC with like a 100 Million cap. Make it 0 tx fee and have NO CLIENT.

Make your game the client, and basically make a minimalized implementation of the BTC Network for a new coin with your game generated and sending transactions to your very own coind running with each game client.

Trying to use an existing coin for this is not a good idea imho

Free BTC http://beta.BitHits.info BTC 1DNNERMT5MMusfYnCBfcKCBjBKZWBC5Lg2 DGC DH2Pm4VXxsTeqUYZkEySU1c8p5TLvuLe8u LTC LP2QiL1pnsaKVX5Qa811pFJuFL8FxkxWRz
phrozenspite

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 12:58:14 AM

Damn! Why would you suggest LTC.

Why not clone BTC with like a 100 Million cap. Make it 0 tx fee and have NO CLIENT.

Make your game the client, and basically make a minimalized implementation of the BTC Network for a new coin with your game generated and sending transactions to your very own coind running with each game client.

Trying to use an existing coin for this is not a good idea imho
hey you might be onto something lol.  Have game devs code mining protocols into their software and release it as free to play lol

Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:17:28 AM

I'm looking into the possibilities of cloning the bitcoin software for a small group of people (no more than 50-100) who do online nation roleplaying stuff, and I thought it might be a bit of fun for to have an official currency that isn't bitcoin/litecoin etc. The coins are for role playing reasons and therefore are not intended to gain any real world value. Because of this, I'd want to make the "cost" of mining very low by CPU mining.

Have no idea where to start, just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

There is already a role playing game with cryptocurrencies:
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=galactic_milieu

There is even a britcoin:
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=united_kingdom_britcoin

The many cryptocurrencies in the game are based on Open Transactions:
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=open_transactions

rather than block chains, partly because small block chain currencies are vulnerable to a 51% network attack. Markm made the cryptocurrencies, and the galactic milieu.

Britainacoin (OP)

Activity: 256

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:25:23 AM

If I was to give someone with a smarter mind than mine, my requirements like block reward etc, what sort of bounty would be required for them to do the hard work for me?
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:56:07 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 01:50:33 AM by markm

Block chains are not good to use for that, all the nations and corporations that had initially created their currency as a block chain currency have since moved away from using a block chain, because it simply is not feasible to secure a blockchain until your coins are worth so much, and generate so many transactions, that a huge amount of hashing power can be applied to them.

Basically any pirates, barbarians, despots, evil genii and so on in the game and out of the game can just totally screw you up, making all your currencies un-useable, doing double-spends at will and so on.

It is hoped that one of these years the game(s) will have vast farms of ASICs devoted to Massively Merged Mining so that all the many currencies (potentially over 300 as there are over 300 civilisations/nations represented just in the stock off the shelf Freeciv without even getting into releasing new nation-packs to add more nations) can all be secured by massively merged mining.

In the meantime Martian BotCoins (MBC), United Kingdom Britcoins (UKB), Canadian Digital Notes (CDN), United Nations Scrip (UNS), General Mining Corp scrip (GMC), General Retirement Funds scrip (GRF), CZech Bitcash (CZB) and bitNicKeLs (NKL) have all been moved to Open Transactions for now, leaving only GRouPcoin exposed to the dangers of being a blockchain as a weathervane to try to measure at what point such blockchains become secure enough that the others can consider moving back to blockchain format.

SO far GRouPcoin is still very low difficulty, even though unlike national / corporate currencies it allows miners to actually mint money instead of subsiting only upon transaction fees. Thus the "real" national/corporate currencies, which do not give away all their nation's wealth to miners, would be unlikely to even attract as much mining as GRouPcoin manages to attract.

So, forget about using blockchains, they are INSANELY EXPENSIVE, you basically throw away all your money, it is crazy.

I am interested in more information about these nations that want to deploy currencies though, what are their names, do they have flags and "shields" icons/images suitable for deploying for Freeciv so that they can be represented in Freeciv format, are they located all on one world or on many worlds, if many worlds are they all within one galaxy, if not over how many galaxies are they spread, all that kind of stuff... Ultimately also, about how far away might their galaxy or galaxies be from the galaxy or galaxies various other games that deploy currencies might they be, how much fuel per ton might it take to convey cargo between those worlds/nations and the worlds/nations located in other games, all that stuff that is so important to commerce and thus to finance...

(One of the main reasons blockchains had superficially appeared attractive is that they could act as a means of conveyance of money between games, even between games so "far apart" that neither game is aware of any faster than light or interuniversal or whatever means of communication that could be used to convey such money yet, lo and behold, that money does get from one to the other so empirically it is provable that some means of communication between them must exist, and if money can be moved through such a means, why not also objects, characters, gosh knows what else at some future level of technology...)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Ferdinandreyes

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:43:43 AM

All the details are in the Bitcoin wiki.

In what page?

BTC: 1Cc7fTwFybQPdvdrUMMstTWkNNDheJsS6v
Monetizer

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:18:48 AM

BUMP -I am looking for an answer aswell
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 07:37:24 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2016, 06:24:22 AM by markm

This has already been done. Griefers spoil it, basically.

A whole bunch of such currencies were created.

The entire accounting all had to be painstakingly recovered and moved because blockchains are insanely impractical for such uses.

Take a look at Cyclos.org, if Open Transactions seems too esoteric or something.

We used Open Transactions because it is extremely robust.

No one's balance can be changed without them signing-off on the change.

Through all version upgrades, bufixes and so on all balances have always been faithful retained.

But really even Cyclos is overkill.

Trying to re-do all your accounting when your blockchain gets trashed is not fun at all.

Dabble in some of the low-difficulty chains, even allow characters in your game to have private keys thus to be able to own coins on any of the existing blockchains, but make sure the players are clear that anything on such blockchains could be lost at any moment when someone else who also wants to "have fun" with blockchains enjoys the "fun" of re-writing history, performing double-spends and so on.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2016, 06:28:59 AM

Nowadays we have NXT-clones like NHZ and BURST and countless similar types of platforms that are not based directly on NXT, so it is even easier now to implement currencies..

However today in trying to create Horizon (HHZ) currencies to let the "big seven" Galactic currencies (UKB, CDN, GMC, GRF, MBC, NKL and UNS) operate on the Horizon platform I was able to create some but then suddenly every attempt to create another got a "name already used" error no matter what name I tried to give it.

Hopefully a way around that will be found if not oh well I guess I'll be trying BURST next...

-MarkM-

brekyrself

Activity: 547
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 07:06:39 AM

Why not simply create a User Issued Asset on an already established blockchain?

https://bitshares.org/technology/user-issued-assets/
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2016, 08:48:29 AM

That is what I am doing, on the already established blockchain (New) Horizon (NHZ).

I have run into a problem when I moved on from "assets" to "currencies" though, the routine for making sure currencies (unlike assets) have unique names seems to have gone haywire after a couple of currencies, so any more I try to create it keeps saying the name is already used.

But yeah, NXT, Horizon, Burst, I had actually forgotten about bitshares because I seem to recall they seemed to set out to scam us all out of all the value he had, at each stage from Protoshares on and on they seemed to keep destroying / diluting value, so the bitshares i have thanks to the Protoshares I started with seemed pathetically worthless last time I looked into it so I kind of put that whole corporation out of mind, I have not seen muchg mention of them lately but last time I did I seem to recall seeing lots of threads / posts about what scammers they are. Hmm. Could look into it again maybe but I'd like to finish setting up the entire gamut of assets and currencies on Horizon first, then probably on BURST also, am not so keen on NXT because of both the price and the tawdry scandals around how it was issued...

Oh also looking at that link you provided it jumped out at me right away that bitshares also seems to be somewhat like Ripple in abandoning core principles of the wild west altcoin scene in favour to making all value be controlled and frozen/unfrozen and stolen and confiscated and gosh knows what else, basically trying to bring back in centralisation? I am creating game assets and game currencies for role-playing games, run by banks on galaxies far far away where the regulations Ripple and Bitshares talk about are weird fictions from a fantasy world known as Earth that, even if it does exist in the game, is not believed by most of the people in most of the galaxies to actually exist or to be anything more than a myth or cycle of myths, legends, fiction etc only believed in by crazy (aka out-of-character) people...

-MarkM-

cengsuwuei

Activity: 714
Merit: 516

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 10:14:48 AM

bitshare is compare nxt is good nxt
is complete feature, and big community, and much people can use token aset nxt is compare bitshare
i think is use bitshare assets is very low, iam not hear coin is create use bitshare assets

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.14..

..Buy Now..

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2016, 10:57:19 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2016, 04:20:42 PM by generalizethis

CryptoKingdom exist. MK is the political governance model built off of its design.

J1mb0

Activity: 983

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 05:38:57 PM

Easiest way would be to create an asset on Waves (current cost $2.50) and just use that within the Waves Lite Client Wallet. You don't have any headaches with networks, POS, Interest, POW - just a tiny transaction charge when you do a transfer.

Or you could look at NXT or any other asset based platform.

You could clone a POS or POW coin - but that would involve a lot of work and would necessitate keeping at least two nodes on-line at all times.

I have run into a problem when I moved on from "assets" to "currencies" though, the routine for making sure currencies (unlike assets) have unique names seems to have gone haywire after a couple of currencies, so any more I try to create it keeps saying the name is already used.

Also, with Waves, you can use whatever name and don't need to worry that it is distinct - just make a note of the asset ID so you can be sure you are all on the same asset!

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
brekyrself

Activity: 547

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 07:04:13 PM

That is what I am doing, on the already established blockchain (New) Horizon (NHZ).

But yeah, NXT, Horizon, Burst, I had actually forgotten about bitshares because I seem to recall they seemed to set out to scam us all out of all the value he had, at each stage from Protoshares on and on they seemed to keep destroying / diluting value, so the bitshares i have thanks to the Protoshares I started with seemed pathetically worthless last time I looked into it so I kind of put that whole corporation out of mind, I have not seen muchg mention of them lately but last time I did I seem to recall seeing lots of threads / posts about what scammers they are. Hmm. Could look into it again maybe but I'd like to finish setting up the entire gamut of assets and currencies on Horizon first, then probably on BURST also, am not so keen on NXT because of both the price and the tawdry scandals around how it was issued...

Oh also looking at that link you provided it jumped out at me right away that bitshares also seems to be somewhat like Ripple in abandoning core principles of the wild west altcoin scene in favour to making all value be controlled and frozen/unfrozen and stolen and confiscated and gosh knows what else, basically trying to bring back in centralisation? I am creating game assets and game currencies for role-playing games, run by banks on galaxies far far away where the regulations Ripple and Bitshares talk about are weird fictions from a fantasy world known as Earth that, even if it does exist in the game, is not believed by most of the people in most of the galaxies to actually exist or to be anything more than a myth or cycle of myths, legends, fiction etc only believed in by crazy (aka out-of-character) people...

-MarkM-

Mark

That is a pretty disappointing post from a old school member...  If you have been around awhile and perform five minutes of due diligence, you know it's no way in hell a scam coin.

UIA (User Issued Assets) on the bts blockchain provide the options required for businesses to stay financially complaint.  Think about banks or issuing of stocks, they require businesses to follow KNC laws for example.  Look how crypto exchanges over the years are requiring more user information because no banks will support them without this.

Your next point, BitShares is far from centralized.  Read up on Delegated Proof of Stake here: https://bitshares.org/technology/delegated-proof-of-stake-consensus/ and realize not all the tokens on the blockchain are UIA's thus can not be seized, frozen, etc...

Getting back to the OP's original question, creating a UIA on the BitShares blockchain is easy, inexpensive, and also provides an easy to access sudo web wallet.  They could even spice things up a little and tie the value of the tokens to the USD/EURO etc...  See https://bitshares.org/technology/price-stable-cryptocurrencies/
presstab
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 08:56:02 PM

This thread is 3 years old. I am sure the OP found the answer a long time ago.

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2016, 11:06:28 PM

Well I will add Bitshares to the list of platforms to look into.

Being on more platforms is presumably like being on more exchanges, a hopefully good thing...

-MarkM-

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: