Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:33:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help setting up Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for BTC mining  (Read 3170 times)
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:42:49 AM

I'm trying to help a friend setup his first BTC mining rig. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, and can't figure it out. I've been using BAMT for the longest time, but would like to figure out how to install everything from a fresh installation on Linux. I've been at this for 5 hours now, and it's driving me crazy. All the guides I keep finding are outdated and/or for another version of linux with download links that no longer exist. If someone could help me out, that would be much appreciated.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zero-asic

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:25:19 PM

I thought getting cgminer to work under Ubuntu was pretty easy.

Eloipool + bitcoind Ubuntu 12.04 install scripts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=171782.0
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:06:25 PM

I couldn't figure out how to download/install/run the proper drivers and SDK. I followed a guide halfway through, but then some commands weren't working so I just tried to figure out it the rest of the way. After I did, I got cgminer and ran it fine. But I kept getting a nonce - HW error or something. So I figure I didn't install the Driver/SDK properly.

I still need help.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Valle

Activity: 177
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 06:50:34 PM

Yep, using Ubuntu is really painful. I spent 8 hours only to make wifi connect to my router. It is not an issue in any other operation system for pc/tablet/phone.

Finally I installed system (ubuntu 32) and drivers using this howto https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gw7YPYgMgNNU42skibULbJJUx_suP_CpjSEdSi8_z9U/preview?pli=1&sle=true
and cgminer using http://rdmsnippets.com/tag/ubuntu-mining-rig/

(cgminer requires COMPILING to make it work for ubuntu 32, well it is pure insanity. That compiling requires installation of several others SDK). So I think that spending several hundred bucks for windows + hdd instead using ubuntu on a usb stick saves you tons of brain cells.
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:15:33 PM

Yep, using Ubuntu is really painful. I spent 8 hours only to make wifi connect to my router. It is not an issue in any other operation system for pc/tablet/phone.

Finally I installed system (ubuntu 32) and drivers using this howto https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gw7YPYgMgNNU42skibULbJJUx_suP_CpjSEdSi8_z9U/preview?pli=1&sle=true
and cgminer using http://rdmsnippets.com/tag/ubuntu-mining-rig/

(cgminer requires COMPILING to make it work for ubuntu 32, well it is pure insanity. That compiling requires installation of several others SDK). So I think that spending several hundred bucks for windows + hdd instead using ubuntu on a usb stick saves you tons of brain cells.
Yup, was using that same guide the other night. The "Compile and install the driver:" section started giving me issues. First off, I wasn't using Xubuntu. I was using just Ubuntu. But I figured since they are both 12.04, it shouldn't matter. Anyway, I think it was this command that didn't work:
Code:
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise

I tried downloading the 13.1 driver instead, but I don't think that worked either. Ran this for the hell of it afterward, and it didn't work either:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

After that, my friend did something, and we thought we go the driver installed. So I went on to "Config the AMD Driver" and rebooted the system. Worked so far. Installed CGminer, and that worked as well. Except it was spitting out some sort of "Invalid nonce - HW error", so something. Gave up after 7 hours at it, and just installed BAMT for the time being.

But I'd still like to figure out how to do this since BAMT crashes every one in awhile, and I'd like to use Linux for future Litecoin mining.

Valle

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:07:56 PM

I installed driver using this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates fglrx-updates-dev
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:42:44 PM

Code:
I see that was the command to use on 7xxx series. Will it still work fine for 5xxx and 6xxx? Was trying to install for 5850's.

After I run that, can I move onto step "IV. Config AMD Driver", and continue the guide?

Valle

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:11:13 PM

Code:
I see that was the command to use on 7xxx series. Will it still work fine for 5xxx and 6xxx? Was trying to install for 5850's.

After I run that, can I move onto step "IV. Config AMD Driver", and continue the guide?

I don't know, sorry :-( Seems the only way to do custom config is to clearly understand what each command does and why it is for.
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:04:27 PM

The guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gw7YPYgMgNNU42skibULbJJUx_suP_CpjSEdSi8_z9U/preview?sle=true) says to do what you did:
Code:
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise

...but I've tried this on at least 5 different machines, and every time it caused problems. What worked for me was leaving off the buildpkg:
Code:
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run

When the dialog pops up, select "All distributions" (or something to that effect), and then select the "Automatic" (vs. Custom) install.

Leaving off the buildpkg has worked every time for me. Oh, and make sure the .run file is executable before doing any of this.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: