Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:26:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When does wallet show credit from successful solo hash?  (Read 3364 times)
eduminer (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:45:54 AM

This should be a fairly straightforward question and answer:

why doesn't my wallet show an accepted hash that I (apparently) calculated?

-wallet blockchain is fully synch'd and updated
-GUIMiner is set up to be solo, following instructions seen all over the web (made username/password, set solo, started bitcoin as server, etc.)

Nevermind what hardware I'm using, because:
-GUIMiner console shows that it connected and a pathetically low MH number shows in the corner
-GUIMiner also shows 1(1) accepted hashes, and yet nothing in my wallet.
-I did search various parts of the forum for "update wallet" and similar terms to see if I could figure this out, but couldn't find a relevant post, just stuff about why someone wasn't receiving a transfer.

So do I have to have generated a block of 25 (50?) hashes to see something in the wallet? I think I might have read that somewhere or maybe that's only for pooling or I dunno what. This is more of an experiment than anything else....  Everything else seems to be just fine, so I guess I must be missing something.

As far as versions, I'm using 0.8.1beta and 12-12-03 GUI

Thanks very much in advance.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eduminer (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:12:33 AM

Really, I should be asking "what simple thing am I missing?"

No, wait, I should instead post something along the lines of I have a quad 8xxx card and I'm only getting yGH, whatsupyo?!?!
FatMagic

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:32:32 PM

Really, I should be asking "what simple thing am I missing?"

No, wait, I should instead post something along the lines of I have a quad 8xxx card and I'm only getting yGH, whatsupyo?!?!

If you are solo mining, you don't get paid for "shares" - you only get "paid" when you solve a block. And even then, the chance to solve a block solo is astronomical unless you are putting out 60,000 Mh/s (60 GH/s) or more. Even then it's still about a week's time to get a block. It's a lottery and really not worth doing unless you are pumping out some serious Gigahashes.

Join a pool - much more profitable for smaller miners.

What rig do you have running?

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:44:34 PM

Unless you have 1TH/s mining BTC or 40MH/s mining LTC you shouldn't be solo mining unless you really like gambling.  The variance risk is too high.  And if you like gambling just spend your pool earnings on Satoshidice or Roulette or something.
FatMagic

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 12:47:33 PM

Unless you have 1TH/s mining BTC or 40MH/s mining LTC you shouldn't be solo mining unless you really like gambling.  The variance risk is too high.  And if you like gambling just spend your pool earnings on Satoshidice or Roulette or something.

QFT ^ Yup.

eduminer (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:48:21 PM

Yeah, and in my original post, I'd started off with a rant with a "I've already read all the hater messages about don't solo unless you blahblahblah, the point is to learn how this stuff works," ... hence the nick. I made this topic to seek help with a straightforward problem, not "don't solo mine" comments, as if that magically solves the problem I had at hand, i.e., a bitcoin sitting in my my gui, but not in my wallet.

That said, I guess A reply is better than NO reply? Oh well.
Jahare

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:46:45 PM

You can do a check on a profitability calculator to see how long it might take to solve a block.

There are many out there, here is one as an example.  Under mining Operation you can see an estimate of how long.
http://blockchained.com/profit/index.php

LTC:   LRsiHqFcSXGyP9zvYUvJxe7N7ivLcVb72z       FTC:  71rY4vP8wWEyKx9FNBvHM9MFrNH9QRboTf
BTC:  14NvriZHaLyTqaG8phYMagN2gB9WsB3Sj5    NMC:  N7XPo3E3fEDAFUhyrvQBHzYkA45kkjWDse
QRK:  QT5JhzHDU4pNeKzA9GWoaBh8bzjPK9cADS  DOGE: DK2wCYTux4JpcnmRGsKmnc5qCY615hsiAV
eduminer (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 12:01:32 AM

You can do a check on a profitability calculator to see how long it might take to solve a block.

There are many out there, here is one as an example.  Under mining Operation you can see an estimate of how long.

Thanks for the link, but the question was not about length, profitability, or anything of the like. It's really just a technical question of why something isn't transferring.
FatMagic

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 02:35:53 AM

Thanks for the link, but the question was not about length, profitability, or anything of the like. It's really just a technical question of why something isn't transferring.

I answered the question in my first post - nothing will transfer, because there is nothing to transfer. You don't get any credit for a share when solo mining. Zippo, zilch, nada. Only when you solve a block will you get credit. That's it.

eduminer (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:25:07 PM

I answered the question in my first post - nothing will transfer, because there is nothing to transfer. You don't get any credit for a share when solo mining. Zippo, zilch, nada. Only when you solve a block will you get credit. That's it.

Ah, thanks, I see what you were saying now. I guess I didn't mean shares? And must be misunderstanding what a block is. Or something.

I thought that it was what was listed under the "Accepted" column and if there was a "1" there, then it was a block solved, as astronomically unlikely as it is. And thus, hey, since I had a number there, why not see if it goes into my wallet.
wormbog

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:34:56 PM

I've seen the same thing when solomining w/ guiminer. It reports a share submitted for anything with difficulty 1 or higher, which would only work with a pool environment.

Try cgminer instead. It will show you the difficulty of any share it finds. If the reported difficulty is lower than 7.6 million (soon to be 8.6 million) you haven't found anything useful.

cgminer also reports the highest difficulty share it has found since you started the program, which illustrates how futile solomining with a GPU really is.

BTW, if you're just in it to learn, try solo-mining bytecoins instead. They're functionally identical to bitcoins but with a much lower difficulty.
eduminer (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 12:07:44 AM

I've seen the same thing when solomining w/ guiminer. It reports a share submitted for anything with difficulty 1 or higher, which would only work with a pool environment.

Try cgminer instead. It will show you the difficulty of any share it finds. If the reported difficulty is lower than 7.6 million (soon to be 8.6 million) you haven't found anything useful.

cgminer also reports the highest difficulty share it has found since you started the program, which illustrates how futile solomining with a GPU really is.

BTW, if you're just in it to learn, try solo-mining bytecoins instead. They're functionally identical to bitcoins but with a much lower difficulty.

Awesome, wormbog, you rock. Makes sense AND you give alternate help? That's the best kind of forum posting.

Thank you thank thank you again!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: