Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:04:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Brain wallet, step-by-step guide (FIXED!)[Mod note: DO NOT USE BRAINWALLETS]  (Read 7076 times)
ArcCsch (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 117

▲ Portable backup power source for mining.

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 05:59:34 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2017, 12:27:18 AM by ArcCsch

(1)
Download the generator from https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/, open it and skip randomness generation:

(2)
Use a strong passphrase, enter it into the "brain-wallet" box, ad a backslash, and add a salt (something you can easily remember but is quite unique, to prevent hackers from going after everyone at once, such as your name or phone number) type the same thing into the BIP38 encryption:

(3)
Copy the encrypted private key (6PRUVtdGSuoypYyf2hAWukGzZVrtE2b89QrXXyVXuVHRQgWA8oj4N9fumC) to the "brain-wallet" box, turn off BIP38, and create the wallet:

(4)
Use this as your brain wallet, it is more secure than a regular brain wallet because BIP38 key-stretching prevents hackers from searching quickly, and the salting in step 3 prevents hackers from attacking everyone at once.
Note that this is a way to improvise on existing software to create a secure brain wallet, a better solution would be software that automatically uses scrypt stretching for brain wallets, but this is not currently available.
EDIT: Use Warp Wallet.
Also, don't use any suggestion (specially one from a n00b like myself) for large amounts of Bitcoin until it has been adequately peer-reviewed.

If you don't have sole and complete control over the private keys, you don't have any bitcoin!  Signature campaigns are OK, zero tolorance for spam!
1JGYXhfhPrkiHcpYkiuCoKpdycPhGCuswa

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6115

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 03:03:12 PM

I believe that your birth date , your name or your phone number are the first things that a hacker would try to use before trying to crack/brute anything so I don't really see how this could be more secure then anything else , using a random password in the other hand or something that make no sense to you may be very hard to remember over the years and you could finish by losing your coins.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 03:40:07 PM

All fine, but which part of this guide is actually making it "strong"? Smiley

Perhaps I can link to my other post from this forum:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1690812.msg17129122#msg17129122

Personally I prefer brain wallets, because I'm paranoid about having a physical backup of my keys.
But a strong password is the key to the security here - and there are many attack vectors on passwords.
Plus obviously a way to never forget it, while not having it written anywhere.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 04:44:23 PM

It is highly NOT RECOMMENDED to use brainwallets. Humans are a horrendously low source of entropy. There are multiple research papers and programs that show that brainwallets are horribly insecure and easily cracked as what you think is a strong password probably is not a strong password.

BIP 38 paper wallets will not be particularly helpful here. It only protects against someone stealing your paper wallet and trying to get the keys. BIP 38 does not protect against someone just guessing the password you used to create your brainwallet.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 04:49:12 PM

It is highly NOT RECOMMENDED to use brainwallets. Humans are a horrendously low source of entropy. There are multiple research papers and programs that show that brainwallets are horribly insecure and easily cracked as what you think is a strong password probably is not a strong password.

And yet if you look here: https://blockchain.info/address/1Au4v6dZacFVsWXeKUMJd99AtyBZeqti2L

1 BTC that has been there since 2012 is still there - I posted about this here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=885616.0

It certainly isn't a simple thing to create an effective brainwallet but it also certainly isn't impossible (as I've demonstrated for four years).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 05:29:16 PM

And yet if you look here: https://blockchain.info/address/1Au4v6dZacFVsWXeKUMJd99AtyBZeqti2L

1 BTC that has been there since 2012 is still there - I posted about this here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=885616.0

It certainly isn't a simple thing to create an effective brainwallet but it also certainly isn't impossible (as I've demonstrated for four years).

That last sentence is rather important, and usually gets lost in the noise.

It's not a question of whether or not it's theoretically possible to create a safe brain wallet, it's one of whether or not it's a wise idea to promote them.

I've no problem if CIYAM wants to create a brain wallet because he's demonstrated that he generally knows what he's talking about, and is willing to accept the risks.

I've a big problem with OP (or anyone else for that matter) promoting brain wallets in general because of the damage it can cause. This is further compounded by the fact that most people (I'm no exception) tend to overestimate their knowledge of a subject they haven't thoroughly studied ("maybe someone else will choose a bad brain wallet, or forget their brain wallet due to a wetware malfunction, but surely I'm smart enough to avoid these problems").

In short: please don't use brain wallets. Please don't promote them (that includes you, CIYAM).
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 05:45:58 PM

In short: please don't use brain wallets. Please don't promote them (that includes you, CIYAM).

I haven't "promoted" the use of brain wallets but have simply stated (and have proven) that they "can be safe" as I think it is not reasonable for people to constantly state that *no brainwallet can be safe* due to being a human being (but I won't deny that perhaps for the vast majority it is probably not going to be safe).

I am considering to move that 1 BTC and then reveal the brainwallet passphrase that was used as an illustration of how one might go about creating such a thing (but I will not be *recommending* others to do this).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
ArcCsch (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 117

▲ Portable backup power source for mining.

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 05:51:54 PM

The purpose of this thread is to create a way to make brain wallet more secure using the BIP38 key stretching algorithm, I, however, bungled it, and the instructions are not nearly as secure as they can be. I am surprised that peer-review did not adequately explain this vulnerability, I will fix the instructions as soon as possible. They are still more secure than the normal brain wallet.

If you don't have sole and complete control over the private keys, you don't have any bitcoin!  Signature campaigns are OK, zero tolorance for spam!
1JGYXhfhPrkiHcpYkiuCoKpdycPhGCuswa
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 06:05:40 PM

I haven't "promoted" the use of brain wallets but have simply stated (and have proven) that they "can be safe" as I think it is not reasonable for people to constantly state that *no brainwallet can be safe* due to being a human being (but I won't deny that perhaps for the vast majority it is probably not going to be safe).

I am considering to move that 1 BTC and then reveal the brainwallet passphrase that was used as an illustration of how one might go about creating such a thing (but I will not be *recommending* others to do this).

I appreciate that you don't explicitly promote brain wallets, but you must admit that you did post a response in a thread that was started by OP to promote a "good" way of creating brain wallets (it wasn't) showing that your brain wallet was still safe as pro-brain-wallet evidence. Depending on how some will read that response, it could be misinterpreted as a general promotion of brain wallets (how many people will follow your link and read that entire thread? or even read the context in this thread?).... that was my complaint.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 09:53:59 PM

There are multiple research papers and programs that show that brainwallets are horribly insecure and easily cracked as what you think is a strong password probably is not a strong password.
Please don't use words like "horribly" or "probably" trying to discuss technical issues.

Please refer me to the multiple research papers (and programs) you've mentioned.

I am able to discuss technical aspects (numbers, codes, algorithms) and science behind them.
I am not however willing to argue with your emotions or believes.

I use brain wallets myself, have been for years.
For me they are more secure, reliable and convenient than wallets which require to be stored and backed up.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 10:52:05 PM

Please don't use words like "horribly" or "probably" trying to discuss technical issues.
Why? I understand not using probably (I thought this was in beginners and help so it was primarily as a warning to noobs) but what is wrong with "horribly insecure"?

Please refer me to the multiple research papers (and programs) you've mentioned.
Cracking programs:

Research:

I am able to discuss technical aspects (numbers, codes, algorithms) and science behind them.
I am not however willing to argue with your emotions or believes.
This is not just something that I believe or my emotions. Many other people in the Bitcoin technical area have discussed how brainwallets are insecure and not recommended for general use. Off the top of my head, I know that greg and theymos has discussed this before.

I use brain wallets myself, have been for years.
For me they are more secure, reliable and convenient than wallets which require to be stored and backed up.
It is possible to securely use brainwallets, but it should not be something that is recommended to newbies and those who do not understand technical aspects of Bitcoin IMO.

Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 11:03:48 PM

I have my entire BTC holdings in brain wallets, there is no safer place for them imho.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 11:16:42 PM
Last edit: December 18, 2016, 11:49:48 PM by piotr_n

Why? I understand not using probably (I thought this was in beginners and help so it was primarily as a warning to noobs) but what is wrong with "horribly insecure"?
Because how can anyone objectively disagree (or agree) with a complexity of a technical challenge described by such words?

Do you even understand that cracking a brain-wallet's seed password is a serious technical challenge?

Which tool/approach would you have chosen to crack my brain wallet?

It is possible to securely use brainwallets, but it should not be something that is recommended to newbies and those who do not understand technical aspects of Bitcoin IMO.

Which is exactly why guides like this can be very useful.
Unlike dogmatic statements based on someone's beliefs, basically coming down to: don't use a brain wallet, because you are too stupid to make a proper password.
IMHO, there is nothing more stupid (or arrogant) than assuming that all the other people are stupid, except greg and theymos Smiley

piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 11:29:34 PM

I actually read it quite often and I always ignore it, but it was always upsetting me.

People saying basically "I know what I am talking about, don't us a brain wallet and if you do don't come to me crying after you loose your bitcoins".

I just wonder whether in such case people can come to you crying when they used a non-brain wallet and then either lost it because they had no backup or because someone stole their (backup) wallet file.
Can they?

Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 11:31:53 PM

I actually read it quite often and I always ignore it, but it was always upsetting me.

People saying basically "I know what I am talking about, don't us a brain wallet and if you do don't come to me crying after you loose your bitcoins".

I just wonder whether in such case people can come to you crying when they used a non-brain wallet and then either lost it because they had no backup or because someone stole their (backup) wallet file.
Can they?

If you like you can take a look at my brain wallet.
It will even try to sign and verify a message to ensure that the generated key is working fine: https://github.com/OrdinaryDude/brain-wallet
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 11:33:38 PM

No thanks, I have my own.

I don't trust other people with their wallet software - no matter if it would be a brain wallet, a core wallet or a hardware wallet. Smiley

Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 11:34:57 PM

No thanks, I have my own.

I don't trust other people with their wallet software - no matter if it would be a brain wallet, a core wallet or a hardware wallet. Smiley

This is the best attitude Wink! That's why I have created my own as well.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2016, 12:10:32 AM

Cracking programs:

Research:

Sorry mate, but I've gone through these programs and "research" papers and I must say that if they have any value then it's rather entertaining than scientific.

Let me just refer to the last one from the list - this is their "conclusion" sections:
As an example application of this research, we have been able to crack thousands of passwords including some quite difficult ones. Our research demonstrates again that brain wallets are not secure and no one should use them.

And this is the list of the "quite difficult ones" that they are so proud of cracking:
1. say hello to my little friend
2. to be or not to be
3. Walk Into This Room
4. party like it’s 1999
5. yohohoandabottleofrum
6. dudewheresmycar
7. dajiahao
8. hankou
9. {1summer2leo3phoebe
10. 0racle9i
11. andreas antonopoulos
12. Arnold Schwarzenegger
13. blablablablablablabla
14. for the longest time
15. captain spaulding

I mean, seriously? Smiley
What kind of idiot do you think would chose any of the above passwords to protect his life's savings?

philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7835

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2016, 05:23:11 AM

Cracking programs:

Research:

Sorry mate, but I've gone through these programs and "research" papers and I must say that if they have any value then it's rather entertaining than scientific.

Let me just refer to the last one from the list - this is their "conclusion" sections:
As an example application of this research, we have been able to crack thousands of passwords including some quite difficult ones. Our research demonstrates again that brain wallets are not secure and no one should use them.

And this is the list of the "quite difficult ones" that they are so proud of cracking:
1. say hello to my little friend
2. to be or not to be
3. Walk Into This Room
4. party like it’s 1999
5. yohohoandabottleofrum
6. dudewheresmycar
7. dajiahao
8. hankou
9. {1summer2leo3phoebe
10. 0racle9i
11. andreas antonopoulos
12. Arnold Schwarzenegger
13. blablablablablablabla
14. for the longest time
15. captain spaulding

What kind of idiot do you think would chose any of the above passwords to protect his life's savings?

Those are pretty weak.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2016, 05:41:08 AM

Clearly multiple people chose those passwords to protect some amount of Bitcoin.

The point is that people think those passwords are strong passwords because online password checkers say that those passwords are strong. If you are recommending people to use brainwallets, they are likely to use those types of passwords thinking that they are strong passwords when in actuality they are not.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: