Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:33:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Btc and alt mining hardware  (Read 715 times)
DigiSoul (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 02:56:26 PM

I want to know that is bitcoin mining and altcoin mining can be done with same hardware that is with ASIC?? Or altcoin mining requires any other type of hardware?Huh Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 03:14:41 PM

I want to know that is bitcoin mining and altcoin mining can be done with same hardware that is with ASIC?? Or altcoin mining requires any other type of hardware?Huh Huh

It all depends how the ASIC is designed. e.g in past I used Gridseeds to mine scrypt coins but I also could use them to mine BTC (that time I considered Scrypt mining more profitable)
so the answer is YES, you can use same HW (if such ASIC is designed for)

P.S there are also specific coins called CPU COINS purposely designed to be ASIC & GPU resistant.

BigBoom3599

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 03:38:08 PM

It all depends on the algorithm the coin's use, Bitcoin for example uses SHA256. SHA256 , Scrypt and X11 are the only algo's who have known ASICs atm, so all other algo's have to be mined with your GPU or your CPU, you can still use your GPU to mine SHA256, Scrypy or X11 but it won't be nearly as profitable or not at all in most cases.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 11:17:23 PM

X15 X15 and Quark (and I believe one other algorythm) also have ASIC available.

With 3 very specific exceptions that were specifically designed to support more than one algorythm (the Gridseed GC 3355 and the SFARDS chip that supported both SHA256 and Scrypt mining, and the Baikal miner chip that supports 6 or 7 different algorythms that happen to have a lot of overlap on design) a ASIC can only mine coins bases on one algorythm.

Trying to mine any algoryrhm on a CPU or a GPU where there is an ASIC available for that algorythm is a waste of power and time, you won't make ANY profit on it and the odds are you will kill the CPU or GPU before you make enough to pay for them even with FREE electric.

In cases where an ASIC was VERY NEWLY introduced, GPU mining has remained profitable for a short while because it takes time to sell and deploy enough ASIC units to make the difficulty climb enough to destroy profitability for non-ASIC mining, but that's normally a matter of a month or two at most for most folks.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
DigiSoul (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 01:00:28 PM

It all depends how the ASIC is designed. e.g in past I used Gridseeds to mine scrypt coins but I also could use them to mine BTC (that time I considered Scrypt mining more profitable)

P.S there are also specific coins called CPU COINS purposely designed to be ASIC & GPU resistant.
ASIC and GPU resistant? so how those coins are mined?
DigiSoul (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 01:02:37 PM

It all depends on the algorithm the coin's use, Bitcoin for example uses SHA256. SHA256 , Scrypt and X11 are the only algo's who have known ASICs atm, so all other algo's have to be mined with your GPU or your CPU, you can still use your GPU to mine SHA256, Scrypy or X11 but it won't be nearly as profitable or not at all in most cases.
So i cannot mine a altcoin that has algorithm other than these using ASIC?
GreenLighter

Activity: 36
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 01:05:23 PM

He means CPU coins, but these are heavily mined by botnets
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 07:56:50 AM

ASIC and GPU resistant? so how those coins are mined?

With CPUs - though it has turned out that most if not all of these type coins (XMR for one example) haven't been as GPU resistant as claimed.

Most "ASIC resistant" coins try to force high memory usage, but it has turned out to be entirely possible to build an ASIC that has a lot of memory available if the market is big enough.
The performance gains will tend to be a lot less though, as shown by the Baikal and other X11 ASIC, when compared to the performance gains made by Bitcoin ASIC vs GPU mining Bitcoin.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: