Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:08:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PCI-e Based FPGA Mining Cards  (Read 5954 times)
DarkPunk (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:04:26 AM

I have 6 spartan6x150's in the mail headed my way to do some testing with.  I have the PCI-e board sketched up on KiCad, and am going to contact a PCB manufacture tomorrow about getting a few made. If all goes well, I'll post the board schematics on here for public use.

For those intrested, DigiKey is selling spartan6x150 singles for $158/chip and $170/chip (same chip, just 2 different batches), just search for "XC6SLX150".

My current board design is PCI-e x16, double wide to fit a wide heatsink and fan in.

I'm also in contact with a rep from Achronix, hoping for a low-ish estimate on their HD1000 series of FPGAs (sub $1,500/chip), but I doubt it.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions?
sunblaster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:06:09 AM

what if free power?
DarkPunk (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:08:21 AM

what if free power?

I don't understand.  If your asking about specs, I won't know until the chips come in, but I imagine they will be close to fpgaminers specs, as they used the same chip.
RoboCoder

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 04:10:52 AM

Of course everything is a little bit of a gamble with BTC - but since fpga's seem to still have some value based on the current price (which as we all know is subject to change) it is probably not a bad idea.

I don't think i personally could put one together but the idea has legs - possible if ram could be added it could also be flexible enough to do litecoin..

I know enterpoint had at one point produced a card with a number of spartans on it.. would have to look up the exact amount.. but they dont sell it anymore and it was like 6 grand for like 20 chips.

If you can put 6 - would 8 be just as easy?  

I suspect people would want to buy them if you could produce them.  I wish i had the knowledge to go from schematic to actual board myself..

Anyway - assuming one of the developers could be bribed into creating a driver/bitstream for it - i think there would be interest.
DarkPunk (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:15:34 AM

Of course everything is a little bit of a gamble with BTC - but since fpga's seem to still have some value based on the current price (which as we all know is subject to change) it is probably not a bad idea.

I don't think i personally could put one together but the idea has legs - possible if ram could be added it could also be flexible enough to do litecoin..

I know enterpoint had at one point produced a card with a number of spartans on it.. would have to look up the exact amount.. but they dont sell it anymore and it was like 6 grand for like 20 chips.

If you can put 6 - would 8 be just as easy?  

I suspect people would want to buy them if you could produce them.  I wish i had the knowledge to go from schematic to actual board myself..

Anyway - assuming one of the developers could be bribed into creating a driver/bitstream for it - i think there would be interest.

The designs I have now are 2 chips per card (I'm build 3 cards to start).  The designs are based heavily off fpgaminers system.  As for the driver, I'll have that covered, TheSeven gave me a great place to start.  I'm actually a developer who is dabbling in hardware as a hobby.

As for people wanting to buy them, I don't think I want that kind of pressure.  I'm fine opensourceing my board, but I'm a rather lazy guy.
baad

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:30:06 AM

Why pci-e? You dont need such fast communication, and the cooling is worse than the stand alone pcbs.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:31:30 AM

I don't see the point.  USB-based FPGA miners already work well.

Putting them on a PCIe card just limits scalability to the number of PCIe slots in the system, and you'll have to fit the whole thing with cooling into a 20mm wide slot (40mm if you're gonna occupy 2 slot widths).

Now if you're going for a board to mine Scrypt, using host memory, well OK...

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
DarkPunk (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:37:11 AM

Why pci-e? You dont need such fast communication, and the cooling is worse than the stand alone pcbs.

Just to see if I can.  I'm not doing this because I'm trying to make a product or anything, I'm just a bored dev who has a mobo laying around with 6 pci-e x16 slots. Besides, the PCI-e will come in handy if BitSyncom ever gets around to selling ASIC chips.  The board will have to be completely redone, and the cooling situation tackled (I'm thinking closed-loop liquid), but it would be fun.
RoboCoder

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 04:41:24 AM

As for people wanting to buy them, I don't think I want that kind of pressure.  I'm fine opensourceing my board, but I'm a rather lazy guy.

Can't say i blame you on that!
IMakeComps

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:17:05 AM

I would be interested in this board as well. Let me know if you need help testing, etc.
funnow

Activity: 347

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 09:26:43 AM

Looking for group buy Stratix V boards to reduce price.
DarkPunk (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:33:30 AM

I have to ask... are you on drugs?

While the Stratix V chips are nice, and the MH/s/$ is higher for them, your looking at a $4,515/chip starting point, as opposed to the $170/chip starting point for Spartans.
funnow

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 09:37:41 AM

While the Stratix V chips are nice, and the MH/s/$ is higher for them, your looking at a $4,515/chip starting point, as opposed to the $170/chip starting point for Spartans.

We are all on drugs, we don't eat good, we don't drink good. All thing contains drugs.

The card costs $4000 for one, so more cards are bought, lower is the price. And probably the hashrate is not poor.
DarkPunk (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:40:56 AM

We are all on drugs, we don't eat good, we don't drink good. All thing contains drugs.

The card costs $4000 for one, so more cards are bought, lower is the price. And probably the hashrate is not poor.

I don't think you understand.  I'm saying the cost for just the CHIP is $4,515/chip.  That doesn't include PCB manufacturing, additional parts, etc.  The lowest price anyone could make these for right now is around the $4,750/card range, if your looking at single chip cards.
funnow

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 09:44:50 AM

I don't think you understand.  I'm saying the cost for just the CHIP is $4,515/chip.  That doesn't include PCB manufacturing, additional parts, etc.  The lowest price anyone could make these for right now is around the $4,750/card range, if your looking at single chip cards.

I understand everything. I get little lower prices, so no problem I will buy and build a little rig. But It will stay powered off, because I don't have any bitstram,...
DarkPunk (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:46:40 AM

I understand everything. I get little lower prices, so no problem I will buy and build a little rig. But It will stay powered off, because I don't have any bitstram,...

I think I'm being troll'd.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:44:55 AM

intersested as well Smiley
My 990FXA UD7 would be pleased with FPGA miners!

E3V3A

Activity: 35

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:24:22 AM

Probably because a USB design requires an internal µ-controller as a master. If he uses the PCI-e, he'll use the PC as a master saving some HW design.

I'm interested in this project and may be able to help. Can we see your KiCad sketches?
segfault88

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:46:28 AM

Also very interested. Keen to see your KiCad work - maybe chuck it up on github or something? If you don't want to do that, even a screenshot would be good for now.

Are you thinking of adding (s)RAM as well?
DarkPunk (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:16:52 AM

Probably because a USB design requires an internal µ-controller as a master. If he uses the PCI-e, he'll use the PC as a master saving some HW design.

I'm interested in this project and may be able to help. Can we see your KiCad sketches?

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you, I just passed out last night.

I'm working on a compiled library of the modules right now (Having to make them all from scratch, as I can't find any pre-made for KiCad, go figure)

I'll upload everything to github as soon as I'm done.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: