Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:43:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [IDEA] Bitcoin mobile app  (Read 1344 times)
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:39:02 AM

Ok I didn't think this one really thru, but if you find issue just post it here. Anyone can use this idea, but if you want to be super cool and your a mobile developer, and need someone to build the backend, I can do it, for a contact.

Reason I am releasing this, is that I have no mobile app development skills, nor do I want to hire someone to do it.

Now onto the idea, so it would be an application to find people that can sell you bitcoins in a pinch. So you would whip out your cell phone, type in how many bitcoins you need or how much cash you have. That would get sent to a server, that would then broadcast everyone in a 10 - 20 mile radius from you. Someone would then claim it, it would then lock them into the current Mt Gox price. You would probably at this point want to have two different account types, a seller and a buyer. Sellers should send bitcoins to there account so they are not getting broadcasted messages that can't afford. At the lock in that amount of bitcoins would be moved to an escrow type system. Once the seller and buyer met up, using the in-app chat system, the buyer would give the cash to the seller and once the buyer and seller type in there passwords, the system would make sure the coordinates match up to ~800ft (a gps limitation), the buyer's bitcoin would be transfered from seller to the buyer's account, and then the buyer would be able to send the bitcoins from the app to any address, they want.

Just an idea...
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:20:37 AM

Actually, just the part about finding someone close to you that currently wants to trade could prove to be quite useful all by itself.
shiv

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:55:34 AM

Apple has, and will continue to, ban all apps that carry Bitcoin wallet/transfer/purchasing purposes and/or features.
jp

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 11:33:26 AM

Apple has, and will continue to, ban all apps that carry Bitcoin wallet/transfer/purchasing purposes and/or features.

I thought the Blockchain.info app had these features? I haven't used it myself, so can't confirm that. It was just my understanding that they did and somehow got around Apple's banning of Bitcoin wallet apps.

Helping the world exit the traditional financial system.
Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 3012

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:44:20 AM

Currently you can install bitcoin related apps through Cydia, if your iDevice is jailbroken. There is a blockchain.info and a Mtgox price info for the Notification bar. If I recall correctly, there's also a MtGox wallet app.

daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:53:42 AM

Use some localbitcoins API? (if it exists)

glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:37:05 PM

Ok I didn't think this one really thru, but if you find issue just post it here. Anyone can use this idea, but if you want to be super cool and your a mobile developer, and need someone to build the backend, I can do it, for a contact.

Reason I am releasing this, is that I have no mobile app development skills, nor do I want to hire someone to do it.

Now onto the idea, so it would be an application to find people that can sell you bitcoins in a pinch. So you would whip out your cell phone, type in how many bitcoins you need or how much cash you have. That would get sent to a server, that would then broadcast everyone in a 10 - 20 mile radius from you. Someone would then claim it, it would then lock them into the current Mt Gox price. You would probably at this point want to have two different account types, a seller and a buyer. Sellers should send bitcoins to there account so they are not getting broadcasted messages that can't afford. At the lock in that amount of bitcoins would be moved to an escrow type system. Once the seller and buyer met up, using the in-app chat system, the buyer would give the cash to the seller and once the buyer and seller type in there passwords, the system would make sure the coordinates match up to ~800ft (a gps limitation), the buyer's bitcoin would be transfered from seller to the buyer's account, and then the buyer would be able to send the bitcoins from the app to any address, they want.

Just an idea...

This is a really cool idea, I think I might develop it for iOS.  An Android app would then follow. 
glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:06:52 PM

Well that is a chance someone has to take then, plus I said mobile it could be for IOS, Android, Window mobile 7. There are many platforms out there.

Just an idea...

This is a really cool idea, I think I might develop it for iOS.  An Android app would then follow. 

Go for it, keep us update in this thread, if you make a new thread. I would love to see this in an app.

I'll definitely keep this thread updated.  And if I ever make any BTC from it, I'll remember where I got the idea Smiley
shiv

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:37:48 PM

I thought the Blockchain.info app had these features? I haven't used it myself, so can't confirm that. It was just my understanding that they did and somehow got around Apple's banning of Bitcoin wallet apps.

They did, Apple removed it, so they removed the wallet features in order to make it to App Store.
daybyter
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:51:01 PM

A decentralized localbitcoin app would be cool. Use the GPS functionality to find people near you.

I played a bit with phonegap:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=135392.0

, and you don't need any special mobile skills. It's just a website running on your mobile. You write anything in HTML and javascript (to animate the webpages).

If you're interested in a collab, let me know.

I have to run it as a sideproject, though, since my main project is java tradebot stuff.

daybyter
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:52:54 PM

How would you decentralized this? I think this would have to be centralized to prove the user has the funds.

I would avoid a central server with the user list. Just a mesh. Every user holds a list with the IP addies of known users and sync regularly with those users to get new IP addies.

I will look into phonegap, does it support iphones?

Yes. Even desktop browsers etc. But Apple doesn't support iphones. Instead they are trying to keep users away from interesting apps.

I hear you LOL I have a lot projects as well. I dont know what I want to do.

Well, my problem was, that there's no way to make any money from this, if it's actually decentralized. So you don't know, how many users exist, where they are etc.

Maybe just start it as an opensource project and see if other devs join it?

Ciao,
Andreas

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: