Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:42:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How long have your rigs run without resetting?  (Read 1923 times)
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:05:18 PM

As per subject, the longest of any of my miners are 1 week. I find it a rather almost full time job to have to run to my rig to hard reset them.

Any suggestion to remote resetting? I am exploring diskless system and it seems to be the most practical method.

If you have a windows rig, it's better to reboot it every few days, because with windows, you always get performance degradation over time. My rig is SSD based so a reboot till mining is about 35sec, i have a couple monitoring scripts that connect to pools API's and miner logs that will see if mining is below some thresholds, or nothing @ all, or if the rig is hanged and doesn't answer anymore, and accordingly will take action (soft  reboot (shutdown scripts) or hard reboot (with a custom RPI or wifi plugs) or miner kill/restart (usually i prefer a reboot, it's so fast, and you are sure it's going to mine @ optimal), i also added some scripts for auto-mining switch depending on the current value of coins and im working on automatic downclocking scripts for rigs that keep being unstable for a while. In general for any switch or something going wrong, when ssd or usbkey OS it's better to reboot.

For unix based rigs, you can let them run all the time basically but i think at least a reboot every odd week is always good. And with the same monitoring of course.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:14:50 PM

On the more mature mining programs, such as Cryptonight or Ethereum ones, I can have Windows rigs run for months without issues. The only time I would reboot is when physically cleaning the rig. With newer coins such as ZEC, with the constant changes and bugs I had to reboot a couple of times, but the more recent version are fairly stable.

If you are experiencing rigs locking up a lot, you need to look at your system as a whole. Are they getting too hot, are your pushing your PSU too much, are you overclocking your cards too much, etc.?
chronek

Activity: 273
Merit: 250

BD People Are Legend

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:48:28 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2016, 07:01:18 PM by chronek

i do not understand you all, my rig not reset or crash even once after i build it
you are a lucky man!
Can you tell what mobo and cards are using ?

ordinary h81 pro btc, 5x rx480 4GB (some have samsung, some have modded hynix memory), powered usb risers with own build cables, but have 2 cheap psu + 1 good modular psu - 760W at wall (it was cheaper (2x 17$ + 90$) than one big modular psu), windows 7 x64 with some optimize, undervolted core, overclocked memory, 1210 sol/s

▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄
            ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████████▄▄
        ▄▄███▀   ▄▄▄   ▀████████████████████████▄▄
     ▄██████  ▄███████▄  ▀██████████████████▀▀▀█████▄
   ▄███████    ███▀▀ ██    ███████████  ███▀  ▄███████▄
  █████████▄  ▄█▀  ▄███    ██████████  ▄██  ▄███████████
 ██████████████▀  ████▀   ▄██▀▀▀████  ▄████▀  ███████████
██████████████▀  ▄███▀   ▄█▀  ▄▄ ██▀ ▄█  ██  █████████████
██████████████   ▀     ▄██▀  ▄█  █▀  █   █▀▄  ▀███████████
█████████████▀  ▄███▄  ▀██   ██ ▄▄▄  █▀ ▄▄▀█▄  ▀▄█████████
█████████████   █████   ▀██▄ ▀▄████▄  ▄███▄▀  ▄███████████
 █████   ▀██▀  ▄█████    █▀▀█████████████████▀███████████
  ████   ▄█▀   █████    ██ ▀▄█▀▄▄▀█ ▀▄▀█▀▄▀ █▀█ ▀▄██████
   ▀███▄▄   ▄█▄ ▀▀     ███ █ █ ▄▄▄█  █ █ █  █ █ ██████▀
     ▀██████████▄▄▄▄▄█████▄█▄██▄▄██ █▄███▄█▄█▄█▄████▀
        ▀▀██████████████████████████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████████████████████████▀▀
                 ▀▀▀██████████████████▀▀▀
      Supported by
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
John McAfee     
|
|
|
|

▀██▄       ▀████▄
▄    ▀██          ▀██▄
██▄ ▄███         ▄█████▄▄
 ▀███████▄     ▄██▀ ▀▀████
      ▀████▄ ▄██▀     ▀█▀
        ▀████▄
        ▄█▀████▄
      ▄███▄▀▀████▄
    ▄████▀    ▀████▄
  ▄████▀        ▀██▀█▄
  ▀██▀            ▀██▀
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 07:24:23 PM

As per subject, the longest of any of my miners are 1 week. I find it a rather almost full time job to have to run to my rig to hard reset them.

Any suggestion to remote resetting? I am exploring diskless system and it seems to be the most practical method.

I mod the shit out of my gpus, rigs are running 24/7 with 1 crash in weeks...go softer on modding (if you do)? Or maybe reinstall drivers? Also if you're on Linux, my experience mining on it with the AMD GPU PRO was horrible, constant crashes. Since I migrated to Windows it's been super stable.
EastSound

Activity: 1377
Merit: 268

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 09:57:33 AM

I mod the shit out of my gpus, rigs are running 24/7 with 1 crash in weeks...go softer on modding (if you do)? Or maybe reinstall drivers? Also if you're on Linux, my experience mining on it with the AMD GPU PRO was horrible, constant crashes. Since I migrated to Windows it's been super stable.

I run the rig will low frequency and they are very stable.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 11:39:38 PM

Varies with the rig for me.

Most of my Windows rigs are lucky to go a week without a crash.

My Linux-based triple R290 TheStilt BIOS modded very overclocked rig (my by far highest power eating HOTTEST running rig) hasn't had a crash at all except for power glitches and when I've had to shut it down to move it.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 07:01:35 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2017, 07:36:01 PM by bobben2

It depends a lot on the hardware and whether you are overclocking the gpus .
I find mining with the older gpus like R9 280x, 290 and 390 tend to be more stable than say
RX470 and RX480.  But then it may be because I have overclocked the memory.
Linux tends to be more stable than Win (7 at least) so long as your gpus are not RX-series.
Also, I find it depends on the mobo.  I used to like Asus mobos a lot, I have two Z97-As and they are
very finicky.
With R9 gpus on Linux I could take a 3 week vacation and the miners were still running when I came back :-)

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
EastSound

Activity: 1377
Merit: 268

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 11:24:42 AM

Varies with the rig for me.

Most of my Windows rigs are lucky to go a week without a crash.

My Linux-based triple R290 TheStilt BIOS modded very overclocked rig (my by far highest power eating HOTTEST running rig) hasn't had a crash at all except for power glitches and when I've had to shut it down to move it.

For the underclocked rigs, the longs is about 30 days.
mojoxc

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 11:31:32 AM

It depends on the weather outside, which coin your mining and if you are using a open air vs server chasis.
RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 02:07:34 PM

I had to reset it after a month of working for a onboard LAN failure which seems very wierd Smiley

2016 GPU Miner
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: