Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:20:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [My Pool] Pool Server in a Box  (Read 15199 times)
senseless (OP)

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:18:52 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2013, 11:16:46 AM by senseless

What is "My Pool"?

My Pool is Your Pool! My Pool is a boxed gentoo installation containing eloipool, bitcoind, and necessary dependencies to get a pool server up and running. Setting up a pool server is a complex task for those without a strong linux experience. I created this image after seeing requests for it from avalon users and the BTC Guild hash rate going over 50% of total network hash rate several times.

Currently there are no web stats, this is just a bare bones pool server. The interest of this project will determine my level of dedication to it. If it ends up being popular I will look at adding a small stats system, web configuration panel, and user-requested features.

Change Log:

-Version 0.1 [04/10/2013]
Initial release

Installation:

Step 1) Download and install VMWare Player

Step 2) Download the latest "My Pool" image

Step 3) Unzip mypool-[version].zip to a safe directory (preferably on an SSD drive)

Step 4) Double click Eloipool.vmx which will bring up VMWare Player and launch the virtual machine.

That's it! After a bit of configuration your pool server will be ready to go.

Initial Configuration:

Default IP: 192.168.1.9
Default Root Pass: eloipool
Installation Directory: /home/eloipool

For initial configuration you will need to login to the machine either by connecting to it over ssh at "192.168.1.9" or logging in via the VMWare Player console. You will want to login as user "root" initially to do the base system configuration.

Step 1) For the login enter "root" for the password enter "eloipool".

Step 2) Once logged in type "nano /etc/conf.d/net". You will need to edit this file to match your network design. Update the IP Address, Netmask, Network gateway, and subnet mask. An example configuration can be found below. After your changes are complete hold CTRL and press X. When asked to save changes select Y and press enter when asked for a file name. For changes to take effect type "reboot" to reboot the virtual machine.

Code:
config_enp2s1="10.0.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 10.0.0.255"
routes_enp2s1="default via 10.0.0.1"

Step 3) You can now test your internet connection by pinging a google domain server. Type "ping 8.8.8.8" in the console. You should get a response as the example below. You can stop the ping process by holding CTRL and pressing C.

Code:
mypool ~ # ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=1 ttl=46 time=85.3 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=2 ttl=46 time=129 ms

Step 4) Login to the "eloipool" account containing pool server files by typing "su - eloipool". MAKE SURE TO ONLY EXECUTE THE POOL OR MODIFY POOL FILES AS USER "eloipool" TRYING TO EXECUTE THE POOL SERVER AS ROOT WILL NOT WORK.

Step 5) Edit the eloipool launch file by typing "nano _launchpool". You will need to change your bitcoin address in the launch file so that coins are correctly generated to your address. DO NOT USE AN INSTANT WALLET. USE A REAL ADDRESS FOR A REAL BITCOIN WALLET. After your changes are complete hold CTRL and press X. When asked to save changes select Y and press enter when asked for a file name.

Step 6) Type "./_launchpool" to launch eloipool and bitcoind. The image is not distributed with a copy of the block chain by default so your image will need to download the full block chain before being able to function as a pool server. You can check on the status of the bitcoin blockchain syncing process by typing "./bin/bitcoind getinfo" as "eloipool" user.

Security Considerations:

#1) You need to change the "root" password and the password of the "eloipool" user for security. In order to do this type "passwd root" and "password eloipool" as the root user.

Donations:

Luke-Jr - Builds and maintains the "eloipool" pool server contained in this image.
Donate: 134dV6U7gQ6wCFbfHUz2CMh6Dth72oGpgH

Senseless - Put the components together, built and hosting the images.
Donate: 14FJcW6cCJsrbEtxkPjcVjBu4GCkrNMDse

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
senseless (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:19:06 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2013, 11:19:13 AM by senseless

Frequently Asked Questions:

Question: When I try to run eloipool I got the following error:
Code:
eloipool@mypool ~/bin $ ./eloipool.py
Illegal instruction

Answer: The launch file at /home/eloipool/_launchpool needs to be used instead of executing eloipool itself. The launch file will setup your configuration, bitcoind configuration, and other necessities to make sure the system operates correctly.

senseless (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:20:56 PM

Thanks man !

I will test your image right away.

Do you need a mirror ?

[edit]
Still waiting ?
[/edit]

I should be ok bandwidth wise. The file is up there, sorry about the delay took 10 hours to upload. I need a faster connection.

phants

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:05:18 AM

Thanks Smiley

Try torrent mirror:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb8nu56m3b3hxzy/mypool-v0.1.zip.torrent
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:24:22 PM

why the need for VMware? if you have an Ubuntu machine to dedicate to being a server could you install without VMware?
NightAss

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:34:02 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 08:32:36 PM by NightAss

I love the idea is there any way you could tern it in to a windows server with out the need for linux

it would be very good if sum one made a good windows pool with out the need to be an advanced linux coder person to setup a pool

I love the idea is there any way you could tern it in to a windows server with out the need for linux

it would be very good if sum one made a good windows pool with out the need to be an advanced linux coder person to setup a pool

I think its becos of the upgrader billty of VMware if your pool took off or sumthing you could very eazyly move the VMware image to a new local on a better PC or data center

senseless are you able to do a step by step by step guide to make this work with litecoin

Thanks Smiley

Try torrent mirror:

thanks for making a torrent link full credit to you for doing such a nice thing however

your upload speeds are a tad slow so I copyed your torrent and added web seeds
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cob3zu9mq2vuu78/mypool-v0.1.zip.torrent

web seeds are seeds that can be linked from http webservers so genurly way faster upload speeds

thanks phants for making a torrent thats how I downloaded it + manurly added webseeds to speed it up a bit

Zeronic

Activity: 243

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 10:51:47 PM

why the need for VMware? if you have an Ubuntu machine to dedicate to being a server could you install without VMware?

VMware make it very easy to move the "My Pool" between computers or upload to an ESXI server in my case. Plus dedicating hardware to just the pool for yourself is a little unnecessary.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱   
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
grobbes

Activity: 60

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 03:42:23 AM

Awesome! Nice work man. Is there any way to get litecoin working for this? Looks like there's a new git repo supposedly with litecoin enabled eloipool but I can't seem to get it to work Sad

https://github.com/Tydus/eloipool-litecoin
wh00per

Activity: 571
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 05:44:44 PM

I'd love a litecoin pool image on gentoo Smiley

CSA/cUL Certified Power Distribution Panels - Basic, Switched, Metered. 1-3 phases. Up to 600V. NMC:N4F9qvHz11BHcc4nh1LCJFsrZhA1EWgVwj
libertybuck

Activity: 137

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:47:13 AM

Anyone run eloipool successfully with this image ?

When I try to run eloipool I got the following error:

Code:
Illegal instruction

senseless (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:31:10 AM

Anyone run eloipool successfully with this image ?

When I try to run eloipool I got the following error:

Code:
Illegal instruction

I'm guessing you didn't run the launcher as per the instructions; so the configuration file is malformed because the launcher hasnt yet made the config file.

libertybuck

Activity: 137

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:12:36 PM

Code:
Illegal instruction

I'm guessing you didn't run the launcher as per the instructions; so the configuration file is malformed because the launcher hasnt yet made the config file.

Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

I run "./_launchpool" based on your instructions, but it shown the error message "Illegal instruction". So, I checked the content of file "_launchpool" and then run "./eloipool.py" seperately. That is to say, config.py should already be made by "./_launchpool".

If you have interest to have a check I could pm you the root message of my server .

senseless (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:56:35 PM

Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

I run "./_launchpool" based on your instructions, but it shown the error message "Illegal instruction". So, I checked the content of file "_launchpool" and then run "./eloipool.py" seperately. That is to say, config.py should already be made by "./_launchpool".

If you have interest to have a check I could pm you the root message of my server .

Strange, did you run launchpool after downloading the image, first thing? The only other thing I can think is some sort of corruption.

qwep
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:51:45 PM

Do not enter a password Angry
Demogorgonz

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 06:26:40 PM

How could i connect to this pool when it sync ?

I mean what parameters to enter in cgminer/bfgminer ? How to add miners/users?

Thank you very much for this,as i am trying for 2 weeks to setup pool server..
senseless (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 12:22:46 PM

Do not enter a password Angry

I don't understand what you mean?

How could i connect to this pool when it sync ?

I mean what parameters to enter in cgminer/bfgminer ? How to add miners/users?

Thank you very much for this,as i am trying for 2 weeks to setup pool server..

You use any username and any password to connect on whatever ip you assign it on the Eloipool standard ports. I believe the stratum port is 3333?

I've binned this version and am starting from scratch in favor of a system that can communicate with mysql effectively. The next version will probably run on poolserverJ or something similar to that.

Demogorgonz

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:01:32 PM

Thank you VERY MUCH !!! Do you have skype?i'd love to add you and to talk to you  Cheesy

Best regards,
Demo
Demogorgonz

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:12:42 PM

This is what i get after server restart http://www.dodaj.rs/f/1K/ub/255M0cCG/untitled.png

Any idea how to fix it ShockedHuh
RomZ

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 02:52:15 PM

This is a great idea, nice work, i'll have to have a play with it sometime
Demogorgonz

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:40:25 AM

This is what i get after server restart http://www.dodaj.rs/f/1K/ub/255M0cCG/untitled.png

Any idea how to fix it ShockedHuh

After a reset(new image load) i waited till 230k+ blocks,then i had to restart the server to reduce core number as it was taking 100% of my processor .. now i get the same error ..
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: