Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:05:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will "Red Envelopes" in china move the price in January 2017?  (Read 519 times)
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 03:04:28 PM

Saturday, January 28, 2017 starts a new year in China. It will be a year of the rooster and, as is the custom, there will be gifts of red envelopes containing cash. Last year Chinese bitcoin enthusiasts were giving away envelopes that were actually paper wallets. I wonder if this trend is growing?

Are you Chinese by nationality or culture? Are you or friends giving away "red wallets" this new year? It seems such a natural fit, and it seems that BTC is growing in China. Or am I way off?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 04:21:54 PM

This already happened/started nearly 3 years ago:

http://www.isidorsfugue.com/2014/01/bitcoin-red-envelopes-given-away-in.html

RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 05:12:24 PM

This already happened/started nearly 3 years ago:...
For sure. Last year over 10 million Yuan (nearly 1.5 million USD) was thought to have been gifted in crypto-currency via red envelopes.  I am just wondering if this is a growing idea in China.

cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 05:18:28 PM

Saturday, January 28, 2017 starts a new year in China. It will be a year of the rooster and, as is the custom, there will be gifts of red envelopes containing cash. Last year Chinese bitcoin enthusiasts were giving away envelopes that were actually paper wallets. I wonder if this trend is growing?

Are you Chinese by nationality or culture? Are you or friends giving away "red wallets" this new year? It seems such a natural fit, and it seems that BTC is growing in China. Or am I way off?

I know some Chinese people and they didn't feel like a paper wallet was "lucky" when I spoke about it with them last year. The whole idea is to give physical cash to people (in the older generations anyways) so I know there is some non-believers out there that won't want to give bitcoin paper wallets just for that sole reason. They said it's the same as writing a cheque, it's just not lucky the way cash supposedly is.
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 07:11:32 PM

I know some Chinese people and they didn't feel like a paper wallet was "lucky" when I spoke about it with them last year. The whole idea is to give physical cash to people (in the older generations anyways) so I know there is some non-believers out there that won't want to give bitcoin paper wallets just for that sole reason. They said it's the same as writing a cheque, it's just not lucky the way cash supposedly is.
That's interesting. So it doesn't carry the same good fortune or is less personal than traditional cash? That makes sense. I suppose if you were already into bitcoin and considered it real money you might be fine with receiving it. But you may not give it to someone who is new to the concept. Thanks for responding!

cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 05:42:50 PM

That's interesting. So it doesn't carry the same good fortune or is less personal than traditional cash? That makes sense. I suppose if you were already into bitcoin and considered it real money you might be fine with receiving it. But you may not give it to someone who is new to the concept. Thanks for responding!

I think it's totally a matter of opinion and how superstitious they are too. If someone says "I've never been in a car accident and I never will be knock on wood" and knocks on some fake wooden desk, you know they don't really care if it's real wood or not. A superstitious person will run and look for a real piece of wood and knock on it an ODD amount of times or you just jinxed yourself. Knocked on some real wood but did it twice? I hope you're walking home... Lol.

Personally, I believe it's all a bunch of hooey (did I spell that right?Wink) but everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and culture. Hopefully the ones that believe bitcoins are real money will be happy to hand these out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: