Bitcoin Forum
August 04, 2024, 06:22:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why is there a need to "SOLVE" a bitcoin block  (Read 630 times)
paigeannecarter (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:10:07 AM

Hi There.

I hope somebody can help me with this question.  I am a writer doing some write-ups on bitcoin as a whole for my employer.
I found that "solving a block" generates 25 BTC (currently).
Aside from the monetary gain, are there any other reasons why a block should be 'solved'?  I just had this theory that since it is a decentralize system, there must be more to 'solving a block' and why people were given a reward when they solved one...
I hope somebody can help.
Thanks in advance!
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:21:27 AM

The blockchain is the key to solving the problem of "double-spends" and this is done through what is called Proof of Work - without this you simply could not have Bitcoin (so it really is an *essential* thing).

With no PoW (Proof of Work) you could simply broadcast 2 transactions using the same "coins" going to 2 destination addresses - and deciding which one is the "right transaction" would be impossible.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:47:04 AM

Hi There.

I hope somebody can help me with this question.  I am a writer doing some write-ups on bitcoin as a whole for my employer.
I found that "solving a block" generates 25 BTC (currently).
Aside from the monetary gain, are there any other reasons why a block should be 'solved'?  I just had this theory that since it is a decentralize system, there must be more to 'solving a block' and why people were given a reward when they solved one...
I hope somebody can help.
Thanks in advance!

It is to be able to distribute the currency fairly evenly according to computing power across the network. This way the person who have invested $10.000 in mining rigs gets more than the person with an old laptop.

The rate of distribution is set, but the difficulty of the blocks are dynamic. If for some reason 90% of the mining power went away, the difficulty would also be reduced so that the rate of new coins would remain constant.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: