Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:35:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Costs for running Electrum Server  (Read 780 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 08:25:00 AM

I want someone who is already running an electrum server and has so experience with this subject so It's easier for him to answer my questions and any help is highly appreciated. I want to know how much It costs to run an Electrum server and what is/are services that you are using to do that .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2016, 08:34:20 AM

I want someone who is already running an electrum server and has so experience with this subject so It's easier for him to answer my questions and any help is highly appreciated. I want to know how much It costs to run an Electrum server and what is/are services that you are using to do that .

I used to run one on a container on my dedicated machine. I stopped because running an electrum server was actually rather resource intensive, and i needed those resources for other things.

IIRC, you needed the full blockchain sync'ed and indexed (txindex=1), you also needed to download (or generate) a leveldb db for electrum. The total size of the bitcoind + electrum db was about ~150 Gb IIRC.
I ran it on a container, first i allocated 4 Gb RAM and 2 Vcpu's, but i upgraded the container to 8Gb pretty soon, and the performance still wasn't that great.
I'm pretty sure nowadays, you'll need at least 16, preferable 32 Gb of RAM, an SSD and 4 vCPU's to run everything smoothly. This wouldn't be a real problem, but you get no tips and no recognition to run an electrum server (at least, i didn't get a single thank you, nor a single tip)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 01:14:10 PM

I used to run one on a container on my dedicated machine. I stopped because running an electrum server was actually rather resource intensive, and i needed those resources for other things.

IIRC, you needed the full blockchain sync'ed and indexed (txindex=1), you also needed to download (or generate) a leveldb db for electrum. The total size of the bitcoind + electrum db was about ~150 Gb IIRC.
I ran it on a container, first i allocated 4 Gb RAM and 2 Vcpu's, but i upgraded the container to 8Gb pretty soon, and the performance still wasn't that great.
I'm pretty sure nowadays, you'll need at least 16, preferable 32 Gb of RAM, an SSD and 4 vCPU's to run everything smoothly. This wouldn't be a real problem, but you get no tips and no recognition to run an electrum server (at least, i didn't get a single thank you, nor a single tip)

For how long you was running the servers ? I sometimes check the addresses that I see in the messages on the console tab and I found that some people sent funds there , I know It's nothing much but well...
and approximately , how much you think It would cost me ? I'm not going to run it from my home or anything , I will be buying them online (probably buying monthly).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 08:45:33 PM

Try ElectrumX by me, it's way more lightweight:

https://github.com/kyuupichan/electrumx
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2016, 06:30:59 AM

For how long you was running the servers ? I sometimes check the addresses that I see in the messages on the console tab and I found that some people sent funds there , I know It's nothing much but well...
and approximately , how much you think It would cost me ? I'm not going to run it from my home or anything , I will be buying them online (probably buying monthly).
I've ran a server for a couple of months.
The cost, rather hard to say since VPS prices differ so much... You'll need an 8Gb VPS with 200 Gb SSD and at least 2 vCPU's. I guess it won't come that cheap.

Seems cool... I'm going to check it out next time i have some spare server resources Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 10:56:02 AM

Looks good but If using the known Electrum Server will make me use  8Gb RAM , 200GB SSD , 2 CPUs VPS as mentioned above by mocacinno then how much ElectrumX is supposed to take ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
zebedee
Donator

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 03:19:31 AM

Looks good but If using the known Electrum Server will make me use  8Gb RAM , 200GB SSD , 2 CPUs VPS as mentioned above by mocacinno then how much ElectrumX is supposed to take ?
3GB RAM is ample. 40GB of disk space should give enough to last another year or two of blockchain growth. The current dB is a little under 20GB.  Dual core is perfect - python only uses one core in general.
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 01:34:52 PM

3GB RAM is ample. 40GB of disk space should give enough to last another year or two of blockchain growth. The current dB is a little under 20GB.  Dual core is perfect - python only uses one core in general.

I guess I'm missing something then , isn't the blockchain size 60gb++ size at the moment ? how come I will be downloading a database of 20gb only ? what does the electrum database contains exactly

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
zebedee
Donator

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 04:51:10 AM

I guess I'm missing something then , isn't the blockchain size 60gb++ size at the moment ? how come I will be downloading a database of 20gb only ? what does the electrum database contains exactly
I'm talking about ElectrumX. Bitcoind is separate, and can be on an entirely different host, which is how I am set up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: