Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:27:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux miners  (Read 2490 times)
tommyl (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 08:24:47 AM

Hi!

I have a problem with my linux miners. I have access to a bunch (20-30) of mostly idle computers that I am using for mining, but I don't have root privilege and so I cannot install new packages and stuff. Therefore, the only miner that compiles for me is jgarzik cpu miner. Now, from what I understand this is not the fastest cpu miner around, and thus I am losing a lot of clock cycles here. I can of course install required packages/libraries locally, but I get all sorts of dependency issues that just never stops.

So, two questions:

1. Does anyone know of a faster miner that only requires libcurl and jansson? Or at least does not require a lot of other packages.

2. Is there a better way to solve my lib dependency issues? Can I somehow use aptitude or apt-get (they are all Debian machines) cleverly to resolve the issues locally (meaning in my home directory)?

/Tommy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 08:28:23 AM

Unless you have roughly 250-500 Linux computers sitting around (even with 32core, yes I've tried it before...) mining with CPU isn't worth it.
Aside from that, could you post the errors you're getting?

thallium205

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 08:33:10 AM

CPU mining simply isn't worth the trouble.  Compare GPU's to CPU's Mhash/s here -> https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
tommyl (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 09:28:05 AM

Well, I don't have any fancy graphics cards and I can't afford any either, so I go with what I got. It gives more than nothing at least. Plus, I don't pay the electric bill, so its ok ;-)

Anyway, just to give an example, when compiling the Ufasoft compiler it says I need the JWasm assembler. Ok, so I install it. Now I get an error that I need gcc 4.5, and the system only has 4.3. I can't install a new version since I'm not root, and my disc quota is not enough to install it locally.

It's always like that for basically all miners I've found. I can install some packages but sooner or later I run into one that I cannot install locally.

I think they should ship with all the required packages!

Well, I guess gcc is a bit too big to ship, but you get my idea.

/Tommy
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 09:42:54 AM

Well in your case, I would look around and try to get root then possibly remove the old gcc and install the one specified.

tommyl (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 11:15:54 AM

Well in your case, I would look around and try to get root then possibly remove the old gcc and install the one specified.

Yeah, that would be awesome. I do have my own computer that I can compile anyone of the miners on, but it is a 64-bit one, and the other machines are 32-bit, so I cannot reuse the binaries. Well, I guess I have to setup a virtual machine for compilation. Not that much work, but more than I was hoping for.. someone really should make binaries for different architectures available for the different miners.
tommyl (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:25:45 PM

Ok, so the Diablominer actually works. But, my machines are headless, and so I cannot run the Diablo miner because it requres X.

Does anyone know of a way around this?

/Tommy
MBH

Activity: 51

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 12:34:41 PM

Download the free VirtualBox on your personal computer, create a virtual machine and install an OS matching the one on the machines you have (school lab?), then compile the program you want with static libraries.
darkshine

Activity: 299
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 01:10:21 PM

Yeah, that would be awesome. I do have my own computer that I can compile anyone of the miners on, but it is a 64-bit one, and the other machines are 32-bit, so I cannot reuse the binaries. Well, I guess I have to setup a virtual machine for compilation. Not that much work, but more than I was hoping for.. someone really should make binaries for different architectures available for the different miners.

If you are still looking for how to compile 32 bit miner, you can try to do it locally on your own 64 bit machine using cross-compiler in 32-bit mode (http://wiki.debian.org/BuildingCrossCompilers). Cross-compiler will create 32 bit binaries and libraries. Note that you also need to have all 32-bit dependencies installed when building 32-bit binary.

Then copy binaries and libraries to a destination machine under your $HOME. Make sure that PATH points to the directory with binary you need and LD_LIBRARY_PATH points to the directories with shared libraries.

It should work. Thus, I used cross-compiling in pair with distcc (distributed compiling) in Gentoo to precipitate compilation and sometimes there were some troubles with running cross-compiled binaries.
tommyl (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 05:27:12 PM

Ok, so I installed a virtual machine with 32-bit Debian. Now, the compilation of the ufasoft miner works very well, and it is in fact way faster than the one of jgarzik (even on my virtual machine ;-).

However, when I move the binary to another machine I get:

./test: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./test)

So, obviously, the fact that ufasoft requires gcc 4.5 is a problem. I used a different dynamic library (the one on my virtual machine from gcc 4.5) but then the problem propagates. Anyone know how to move on from here?
MBH

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 09:49:07 PM

You're having the problem because you compiled using dynamic libs. Compile it using static libs so that everything is compiled with the binary to not use any external libs.

It's better if you go ask in linuxquestions.org or #linux in DALnet (IRC).

Make sure you post back here so that others searching for a solution can find that this is resolved.
sofadigger

Activity: 103

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 11:09:32 PM

you should just go buy an ati card and forget about this, all you are gonna achieve if you go down this path is waste your time and a lot of electricity that is gonna be paid by someone else.
cynikal

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 11:16:59 PM

Hi!

I have a problem with my linux miners. I have access to a bunch (20-30) of mostly idle computers that I am using for mining, but I don't have root privilege and so I cannot install new packages and stuff. Therefore, the only miner that compiles for me is jgarzik cpu miner. Now, from what I understand this is not the fastest cpu miner around, and thus I am losing a lot of clock cycles here. I can of course install required packages/libraries locally, but I get all sorts of dependency issues that just never stops.

So, two questions:

1. Does anyone know of a faster miner that only requires libcurl and jansson? Or at least does not require a lot of other packages.

2. Is there a better way to solve my lib dependency issues? Can I somehow use aptitude or apt-get (they are all Debian machines) cleverly to resolve the issues locally (meaning in my home directory)?

/Tommy

i would be interested in the results of #1 myself, also using cpu miner witha bout 250 or so systems, some of them have 8 sockets with 10 cores each Smiley but every bit helps

i may be able to help you with #2, PM me and i'll see if i can help ya get your stuff staticly compiled (without requiring root).
tommyl (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:29:32 AM

Hi!

So, two questions:

/Tommy

i would be interested in the results of #1 myself, also using cpu miner witha bout 250 or so systems, some of them have 8 sockets with 10 cores each Smiley but every bit helps

i may be able to help you with #2, PM me and i'll see if i can help ya get your stuff staticly compiled (without requiring root).

I guess, since most miners are FOSS, it would be possible to include a faster sha256-algorithm in the jgarzik-miner. But I have not read the source, so I don't know how easy it would be. But it sure is worth pursuing!

About #2: I managed to get the miner to compile libstdxc++ statically on my virtual machine, and the program runs on the other machines, but now I cannot mine anyway:

Code:
bitcoin-miner 0.10  Copyright (c) 2011 Ufasoft  http://ufasoft.com/open/bitcoin
Mining for http://api.bitcoin.cz:8332
1 threads       Using SSE2
Failed initialization
0 MHash/s     Failed initialization

Processed: 0 Mhash, 1s with average Rate: 0 MHash/s
Accepted: 0, average: 0 shares/min

So it doesn't log in. I would assume there is something the matter with e.g. libcurl since it is not getting any jobs, but it is not complaining when compiling. Any ideas?
Departure

Activity: 1204
Merit: 288

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:41:50 AM

if these 20-30 machines are actually yours why wouldn't you have root access? or atleast physical access?

Sounds like an unauthorized botnet....
MBH

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 07:52:25 AM

If it was a botnet, he'd have root access. These seem to be more like school lab computers.
tommyl (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:54:32 AM

if these 20-30 machines are actually yours why wouldn't you have root access? or atleast physical access?

Sounds like an unauthorized botnet....

There could of cource be several different reasons for not having root access, without them being botnet zombies. Btw, I do have physical access, but that is not helping me very much here since still don't have root...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: