Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 08:11:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Once my client initiates the transaction can it lose it's connection and work?  (Read 286 times)
Nathan047 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 02:05:14 PM

I understand that bitcoin operates on the history of transactions and miners processing them and that I can still receive a payment when my address/wallet is offline, but I don’t know if the sending wallet has anything more to do then just signing the transaction and submit it to the bitcoin network.

I’m using Electrum as my wallet and have a semi unstable internet connection, so I’m just making sure that if my connection dies the second after I initiate the transaction it will go through (assuming all else is well).

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2016, 02:11:01 PM

If it doesn't broadcast automatically due to connection loss, you can:
1) Manually push your raw TX to a service such as a blockchain.info that offers this functionality.
2) Open your wallet again when you have internet access. It should re-broadcast it again to your connected peer(s).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2016, 04:14:45 PM

I understand that bitcoin operates on the history of transactions and miners processing them and that I can still receive a payment when my address/wallet is offline, but I don’t know if the sending wallet has anything more to do then just signing the transaction and submit it to the bitcoin network.

I’m using Electrum as my wallet and have a semi unstable internet connection, so I’m just making sure that if my connection dies the second after I initiate the transaction it will go through (assuming all else is well).
If your transaction is successfully broadcast, you will be able to look it up on various block explorers such as blocktrail.com, blockchain,info, blockr.io, etc. Once the transaction is broadcast, there is nothing else you need to do in order for your transaction to confirm.

Additionally, when you want to receive Bitcoin, your wallet software does not need to be online either. Once the transaction confirms, it is included in the blockchain and your wallet will look it up when it syncs once it comes back online.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: