Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 04:13:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convergex group suggesting diversification into Bitcoin  (Read 1100 times)
lebing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:01:03 PM

The "Chief Market Strategist" at Convergex, Nick Colas has now recommended Bitcoin twice on Bloomberg.
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/bitcoin-is-gold-for-nerds-convergex-s-colas-says-zumT6iCSQBuJJPB3Nhonrw.html

I decided to look up who Convergex is and it seems:

"Formed in 2006, the firm is headquartered in New York with nearly 600 employees"

I don't see any info on financials, but simple calculations tell me that if he is pushing this to their clients... this is a bigger deal than the Hedge Fund Max is touting.
http://www.convergex.com/about-us/our-customers

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:12:35 PM

His interviews have been great so far. He knows what bitcoin is all about. I particularly enjoy it when he politely corrects the falsehoods and silliness that the hosts or other people being interviewed.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:15:04 PM

His interviews have been great so far. He knows what bitcoin is all about. I particularly enjoy it when he politely corrects the falsehoods and silliness that the hosts or other people being interviewed.

One smart person in thousands of uninformed news reporters
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:16:29 PM

Yep, hopefully with time and education more like him will emerge.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:20:07 PM

They write things that "interest" people, it doesn't matter how educated they are.
lebing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:23:13 PM

Just want to reiterate the point of my post - its clear this guy is well spoken & understands bitcoin, but thats not the point. The point is he is the guy speaking into the ears of the decision makers of a large financial services company on wall street. This is enormously bullish.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:27:35 PM

They write things that "interest" people, it doesn't matter how educated they are.
There will be others educated in exactly what bitcoin is who will speak like him in the future. If bitcoin continues to have success even with a huge correction it is inevitable.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:34:08 PM

He ran into trouble with the bitcoin limit question.  Someone needs to give him the primer on how the limit really works.

Just in case he googles himself and finds this page, I'll give the very short version:  The limit is enforced by everyone.  Coins are created by the mining process, and any attempt to create coins beyond the limits accepted by the network will be rejected as invalid.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:46:46 PM

He ran into trouble with the bitcoin limit question.  Someone needs to give him the primer on how the limit really works.

Just in case he googles himself and finds this page, I'll give the very short version:  The limit is enforced by everyone.  Coins are created by the mining process, and any attempt to create coins beyond the limits accepted by the network will be rejected as invalid.
Yes I did note that. That guy was essentially asking 'who prevents 25 million bitcoins or 100?'. The guy wanted to know what kept the cap on the coins. That was the biggest error I thought.
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:55:26 PM

+1 The slightly longer answer is that everyone agrees that the miners are allowed to generate coins at a certain rate. If a miner decides to make them at a different rate, they are free to do so, but it effectively creates a new network, "Bobcoins." Everyone else still on the Bitcoin network will reject transactions with Bobcoins, and they will never have any value.
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:57:46 PM

Yes I did note that. That guy was essentially asking 'who prevents 25 million bitcoins or 100?'. The guy wanted to know what kept the cap on the coins. That was the biggest error I thought.

Agree, he should have just said that the network maintains a database that tracks each coin from it's creation from miners to the address that it currently resides. I think most laypeople understand the concept of a database.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:00:20 PM

Other than the limit question, it was a very good interview.  He speaks well, and has a decent grasp of how it works.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: