Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:47:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's about time to start rewarding full nodes  (Read 1212 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4479

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 09:05:43 AM

I am running 2 full nodes at this point. I personally don't need/want any reward for doing so as I just want to help the network, but it might be a good incentive for people to run full nodes. It time on time again surprises me how low the number of running nodes is, and yes, it has been in decline for years. Another thing is that the number of nodes should be places all around the world, and not hundreds of nodes being hosted from just one data center. That would not really help to achieve some level of decentralization. And then you have the problem of which nodes you must reward. Other problems are how much would they get paid, and what will the pay schemes look like, who will pay for it, etc.

may i ask why you are running 2 nodes. are they on 2 PC's in two locations.. or one of them on a datacentre one on pc.. or both data centre

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 10:45:10 AM

Doing business is the incentive to run bitcoin nodes, if there are not enough businesses to keep the network running then bitcoin is a failed experiment and should die.

You can run full nodes and charge people for using them, there's your incentive.

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 04:06:45 PM

Bitcoin currently only have around 5k full nodes, this is less than back in 2013, when we were hovering around 7k full nodes.

As the chain is getting huge, quickly. It's no longer trivial to host such big blockchain, the disk space and bandwidth expense is quite high.

We will need to start discuss rewards for hosting a full node that stores the full blockchain, they add a lot of value to Bitcoin and it's unfair that they have to do it for free.

Beside the blockchain getting bigger, one of the main reasons that bitcoin nodes went down overtime is a pretty obvious one: in the begining if you wanted to use bitcoin you had to run a node yes or yes since bitcoin qt was the only wallet in existence. As more wallets with no waiting time to sync like electrum were released naturally the nodes went down. This is dangerous, so we should indeed think about ways to incentive people to run nodes, but its not as easy as it seems. Incentivizing people to run certain nodes with money is also a very tricky scenario... it should be on people's best interest to run nodes if they want their investment to survive overtime.
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009

Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:04:45 PM

By placing rewards, it's gonna start a whole new economy from it. Soon mining companies would start monopolizing this too.

▄▄████████▄▄           ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄   ▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████▀            ▀█  ▄█████▀            ▀█████▄
▄█████▀                ▄█████▀    ▄▄        ▀█████▄
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▄▄     ▐█████
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▀▀     ▐█████
▀█████▄      ▄▄▄      █████▀      ▀▀        ▄█████▀
 ▀█████▄▄   █████    █████▀  █▄            ▄█████▀
  ▀██████████████ ██████▀▀  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀▀███████████ ████▀    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀███████ ▀▀           ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀███▀
|
..NEXT-GEN TRADE RACING METAVERSE..
|   WEBSITE   |   TELEGRAM   |   TWITTER   |   MEDIUM   |
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 09:52:55 PM

~
Btw, I can probably run a full node on my old computer for $10 per month in electrical costs.
it is good to know this though:

Most ordinary folks should NOT be running a full node. We need full nodes that are always on, have more than 8 connections (if you have only 8 then you are part of the problem, not part of the solution), and have a high-bandwidth connection to the Internet.

So: if you've got an extra virtual machine with enough memory in a data center, then yes, please, run a full node.
To be honest, when I first saw the statement, I was rather confused over the other statement. Ordinary folks can run full nodes even though they aren't really contributing to the network to that kind of extent. Full nodes without port 8333 open can still relay transactions, blocks and enforce the network rule.

Running a node without port 8333 open STILL helps the network since it helps by storing the blockchain and your peers can still request blocks from you. That statement isn't fully accurate and users should still try running a full node.
I agree with you and wouldn't it be especially helpful if a lot of people were doing that just from home? Most people have the option of leaving an older computer running all day and if they would get some kind of incentive to do so, we'd have a lot more full nodes on the network.

Youresioure

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

Reich mir die Hand

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 09:58:56 PM

I agree, running full nodes is becoming a serious issue due to the size of blockchain and access speed and people who are willing to take this issue on themselves deserve some reward. But aren't they getting BTC for it, already? I thought if you ran a full node, you would profit from the network fee.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2016, 06:53:59 PM

-snip-
-snip offtopic sideshow-
full nodes are full nodes for a reason.

They fully verify data, not fully fill the default 125 connection slots.

im not talking about connection slots. im talking about being a full part of the network. more so im on about validation and access to full data.

I know its been 4 days, but that was exactly my point. A full node does verify all data whether inbound connections are accepted or not.

but to answer your opinion when it comes to connection counts

the less connections you have the more hops(relays) data has to do to reach everyone

EG if 74 nodes had 74 connections each. the data will reach all nodes in one hop.. 74*74=5476
anything below 74 wont be enough to reach all the 5400 in one hop. some will require a couple hops
however there is a big leap with less nodes.
18 nodes connected to 18 nodes connected to 18 nodes can reach everyone in 2 hops
9 nodes connected to 9 nodes connected to 9 nodes connected to 9 nodes can reach everyone in 3 hops
6 nodes connected to 6 nodes connected to 6 nodes connected to 6 nodes connected to 6 nodes can reach everyone in 4 hops

Thats an overly simplistic network structure and I would be very surprised if 4 hops have a significant impact on orphan rates (I suspect thats where you are going with this).

-snip-
i personally dont see a reason to need 125 connections as a default but if everyone had just 6 connections.. they are just causing data to need to bounce around a bit longer then whats deemed most efficient.

Again, the argument I am against is not that better is not possible. It is. I refuse to believe and have yet to see an argument that a node that is not accepting inbound connections is harmfull to the network. The above was a nice though experiment, but it didnt actually lead to any harm towards the network. Maybe I just missed and you can ELI5.

-snip-
and this is where i feel core are re-inventing the 'supernode' concept. using things like their 'fibre' brand.
lets say they have 80 specific nodes with 80 connections each . everyone gets the data in one hop.

leaving everyone else free to loop it through however many/little they want

though good for data migration, it does then make 'fibre' the gate keepers of data if they are the centre of the distribution network

IIRC the relay network was created to circumvent problems with the great firewall. Thats a very specific problem and has little to do with the average user running a full node.

-snip-
may i ask why you are running 2 nodes. are they on 2 PC's in two locations.. or one of them on a datacentre one on pc.. or both data centre

Same someone also running 2 noes, one is in a datacentre running 24/7 without wallet, the other is a home node with a wallet.

I agree, running full nodes is becoming a serious issue due to the size of blockchain and access speed and people who are willing to take this issue on themselves deserve some reward. But aren't they getting BTC for it, already? I thought if you ran a full node, you would profit from the network fee.

No, thats miners.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4479

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 07:30:36 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2016, 07:48:13 PM by franky1

-snip-

Same someone also running 2 noes, one is in a datacentre running 24/7 without wallet, the other is a home node with a wallet.

my issue is that if everyone runs only bitcoin core, (no code diversity) and all run it from amazonaws, (no location diversity) where all nodes are pruned and unable to allow new nodes to sync.

bitcoin become limited to being just a relay network that begins to crumble when new nodes cant join because existing nodes dont allow full syncing or have inbound connections closed.

i see no point in people paying $20 a month to some data centre when out of 7billion people.. or even just 2 million that are using/have bitcoin. can easily run a full node from home.

yea theres a few hundred or a couple thousand that say they cant. but that doesnt stop the majority that can. its like saying lets not let activision or blizzard release any new online games because some people cant play the game

if core want to be the centre/core of bitcoin then they should concentrate on being a full node and stop all the wishy washy pruned/litenode stuff.. leave that for electrum/multibit to play with.
pretending that not upgrading, or running pruned mode, or not having inbound connections is 'fine' is putting people into a false sense of security and wasting their time.

people who want to be full nodes need to know the darn assed truth about what's involved.
teaching people that anything below say 18-74 connections means that some nodes wont be getting the block data in the next hop, so that the recipient from you might be having to pass it around because you have not passed it around as much yourself.
yes its minimal disruption.
but a healthy network is about being a strong network where its all uptodate and verified efficiently. and should one supernode go offline there are enough other supernodes to cover everyone getting the data efficiently.

i understand core want to dominate and be the centre so that users can just be crappy litenode relayers.. but thats stupidly centralizing the network where litenodes do not have independent network involvement but are just a shadow/false pretence illusions of decentralisation.

i dont see any reason to incentivise nodes if the only reason people want to run a node is for a pay day
i dont see any reason to incentivise nodes if people dont understand what a FULL node intels
i dont see any reason to incentivise nodes if core devs want to be the gate keeper main supernode and then have weak shadow nodes pretending to be full nodes even though they have not upgraded or have upgraded but then decided to turn off certain settings because they feel someone else can do the work for them

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2016, 11:19:17 PM

-snip-

my issue is that if everyone runs only bitcoin core, (no code diversity) and all run it from amazonaws, (no location diversity) where all nodes are pruned and unable to allow new nodes to sync.

bitcoin become limited to being just a relay network that begins to crumble when new nodes cant join because existing nodes dont allow full syncing or have inbound connections closed.

I agree.

i see no point in people paying $20 a month to some data centre when out of 7billion people.. or even just 2 million that are using/have bitcoin. can easily run a full node from home.

So why advocate that they may only do so when opening their ports otherwise they are harming the network? (I havent seen you do this actually, I just really want to hammer down my bullshit point). Its probably enough for 1 out of 10 do this. Home run nodes have specific problems though, which is why I pay for a datacentre one. For one they are usually not online 24/7 and can cause issues with other services like VoIP and streaming. On the other hand you have ISP related issues, like quickly changing IPs (e.g. 24 hour DSL disconnects) that rendes it irrelevant whether or not you open the port as you are no longer found on the old IP. Whatever the issue may be, let as many people run a full node of their choosing. I dont care if its core, unlimited or any other of the countless full nodes.

yea theres a few hundred or a couple thousand that say they cant. but that doesnt stop the majority that can. its like saying lets not let activision or blizzard release any new online games because some people cant play the game

if core want to be the centre/core of bitcoin then they should concentrate on being a full node and stop all the wishy washy pruned/litenode stuff.. leave that for electrum/multibit to play with.
pretending that not upgrading, or running pruned mode, or not having inbound connections is 'fine' is putting people into a false sense of security and wasting their time.

A pruned not does not require you to trust the electrum server(s). Maintaining a trustless wallet is a good reason to run a node even if you disk and available data volume is small.

people who want to be full nodes need to know the darn assed truth about what's involved.
teaching people that anything below say 18-74 connections means that some nodes wont be getting the block data in the next hop, so that the recipient from you might be having to pass it around because you have not passed it around as much yourself.
yes its minimal disruption.
but a healthy network is about being a strong network where its all uptodate and verified efficiently. and should one supernode go offline there are enough other supernodes to cover everyone getting the data efficiently.

i understand core want to dominate and be the centre so that users can just be crappy litenode relayers.. but thats stupidly centralizing the network where litenodes do not have independent network involvement but are just a shadow/false pretence illusions of decentralisation.

i dont see any reason to incentivise nodes if the only reason people want to run a node is for a pay day

Me neither, as you and countless others have said, even if we could solve the "prove you are a proper full node" problem, it would introduce another cost.

i dont see any reason to incentivise nodes if people dont understand what a FULL node intels

I disagree, let everyone that wants run a full node and let them learn as they go. Dont make this a boring licence shit, where you first need to pass a test in order to run a full node. Not that you can anyway. Let people fall into the rabbit hole and figure shit out. Some might stick around.

i dont see any reason to incentivise nodes if core devs want to be the gate keeper main supernode and then have weak shadow nodes pretending to be full nodes even though they have not upgraded or have upgraded but then decided to turn off certain settings because they feel someone else can do the work for them

Software that defines a protocol is a problem, yes. It requires every other implementation to follow all quirks the reference implementation has. Replacing it with another software is not a solution to this problem though.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 01:12:34 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2016, 01:23:42 AM by Soros Shorts

if you dont have a basic computer at home. then dont run a full node. we should not be incentivizing people to run nodes on cloud services like amazon. otherwise it begins to defeat the point of being a distributed decentralized network if the majority are all running on amazon

I am not sure which is worse:

1) people running their nodes on AWS (https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/global-infrastructure/), Azure (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/regions/)
2) people running their nodes on Comcast, Optimum, FIOS

Both are geographically decentralized but under the centralized control of a few companies. Considering that each home internet connection in a particular region from a particular home ISP all connect to the internet backbone at the same choke point, there is probably no difference in decentralization between all FIOS home nodes in NYC vs. all AWS nodes in US East.

I tend to think that 2) would have more restrictive ToS than 1) as far as running servers is concerned.

It is fine to discuss rewarding nodes, but I doubt an agreeable solution can be found. PoS is definitely out of the question (I remember the OP suggesting that Bitcoin be converted to PoS a couple of years ago).
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: