Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 10:58:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralized Satellite System  (Read 503 times)
debtstack (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 07:09:16 AM

We need to create a DSS token and fund a decentralized satellite system. That would be awesome.

Less scams, more innovation. We need to go balls deep and create some really crazy shit. It's almost 2020. Someone's talking about an ai built off of the blockchain technology. That is the kind of thing we really need. Innovation. Not more virtual money.

Who's with me?
nemgun

Activity: 882
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2016, 03:48:34 PM

We need to create a DSS token and fund a decentralized satellite system. That would be awesome.

Less scams, more innovation. We need to go balls deep and create some really crazy shit. It's almost 2020. Someone's talking about an ai built off of the blockchain technology. That is the kind of thing we really need. Innovation. Not more virtual money.

Who's with me?
I don't think you find anybody for this, the altcoins are not ready for such a big project, can you at least imagine how much i would cost to do it ? how many years of development ? and what would you do with a decentralised satelite system ? do you want to help boradcast useless TV programs everywhere in the world ? this would let people hack these channels, do you want to let people get connected to internet using these satelites ? or you are giving a new scam idea ?
couldbeangel

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 11:38:50 PM

someone will build a decentralized missile and shoot them down.
debtstack (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:17:31 AM

Who's with me?
I don't think you find anybody for this, the altcoins are not ready for such a big project, can you at least imagine how much i would cost to do it ? how many years of development ? and what would you do with a decentralised satelite system ? do you want to help boradcast useless TV programs everywhere in the world ? this would let people hack these channels, do you want to let people get connected to internet using these satelites ? or you are giving a new scam idea ?

Well, technically, if it were to reach the market cap of bitcoin within 5 years it could actually send about 28 satellites for around $500 million each. And that is a higher end satellite since some smaller satellites can cost around $1-40 million. And that is factoring the prices of today. If we were to partner with somebody like space X within 5 years the price could be cut to around half that. If we used more satellites that were smaller I don't see why it couldn't actually happen. You could even say the market cap of a DSStoken would be 1/2 or a 1/3 of bitcoins and still then you would have the ability to construct a reasonable system within a few years. Not to mention if you partnered with others that would invest into it the amount of cost for the DSS organization could fall to around 75% or 50% as you would find many companies interested in it.

Just as a thought, think of the efforts by both google and facebook in trying to create a free internet through various means like balloon systems and solar powered aircraft. They both spent money out of pocket for an idea that didn't even have much backing. Now if you create a network of millions of interested people who would push money into the project along with companies the ability to do something like this is very feasible. It just sounds crazy because everyone always thinks space is unreachable. But if you really want to make your mark on history you have to be slightly crazy and bold.

Also realize these are network satellites. They would never cost as much as sending a heavy, highly priced piece of equipment like a telescope.
BitPotus

Activity: 1050
Merit: 604

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 07:24:07 AM

already being done

http://www.nexusearth.com/

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/nexus/
Redrose

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 08:42:04 AM

I don't get the point of all that crazy decentralisation. What would that bring more ? Also do you imagine how much a satellite costs ? Why would some people on the Internet pay between 250 and 300 millions of euros for something that will be useless because no one will be able to use it because the neighbour will be able to claim it for its own usage (if a satellite has some usage for a man). And talk about the insurance, 10% of the total cost, to which name should it be registered ?
freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 09:15:44 AM

For building a satellite that could maintain it's course and be able to reach an orbit at least 5 million dollars needed and from there for every day staying in orbit you'll need $100k fund daily, how many days are we talking about and what kind of satellite we are aiming? because the expenses for that is the large part of funds needed besides what already mentioned above.
??
tbolt256

Activity: 121

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 12:14:59 PM

1. Who would launch such a satellite?
2. Why would they put in a huge amount to launch it?
3. What would it accomplish?

I think this is moot..........the logistic and operational costs itself would be so high that this system would never break even.
nemgun

Activity: 882
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 01:45:44 PM

I think this is moot..........the logistic and operational costs itself would be so high that this system would never break even.
Unless it have something to do with TV, Research, Communication, Networking, it will never reach its goals.
But i am still curious about why it requires 100k$/day to run, even actual TVs ara paying about 100k$/month to get broadcasted to satelites.
freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:09:57 PM

Unless it have something to do with TV, Research, Communication, Networking, it will never reach its goals.
But i am still curious about why it requires 100k$/day to run, even actual TVs ara paying about 100k$/month to get broadcasted to satelites.
I am not an expert but for satellites that could stay in orbit for long periods of time material and expertise needed could potentially cost as if you wanted to count the days against the money spent on it then you could say thousands of dollars for each day, you'll also need to correct it's position every few days and that requires engine with fuel and if no engine then slowly will exit the orbit and after a month will fall to the ground.

Anyways launching a satellite for what exactly doing what and who'll have access to it controlling it?
What happens to the price of that coin if a debris smash in to it and destroys it? can we have less than 1 sat price nowadays? lol  Smiley
debtstack (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:28:58 PM

From Philip at space.stackexchange

"
A satellite itself which is on an orbit high enough to not interact with the atmosphere is essentially maintainance-free. Without atmospheric drag it won't need any course corrections to maintain its orbit. It just stays there indefinitely.

Now about it's operation: This really depends on what the satellite is doing. Do the instruments need regular instructions from earth? How difficult is it to come up with these instructions? Does it send signals back to earth? How much effort is needed for analyzing its transmissions? How strong is its transmission power and how much data does it transmit? Is it OK when it can only be reached from time or does it need constant contact to a ground station? When the latter, do its orbital characteristics allow to use existing ground stations or will it be necessary to build and maintain new ones? Are we talking about one satellite or a satellite system consisting of multiple ones (in that case you could likely reduce cost-per-satellite significantly through synergy effects)?

Depending on these factors, the cost can vary between zero and several million per year.

One random figure I could find: The European Galileo and EGNOS navigation systems together are estimated to cost 800 million Euro in maintainance per year after completion. These systems consist of 48 satellites. Does that mean one satellite of the system would cost 16.7 million per year? Unlikely, because you would need almost the same number of operators and ground equipment. Would it be possible to do it cheaper when it wouldn't be an EU government project hampered by countless political factors? Likely.
"

And remember, maintenance of free software, which is the approach taken on a lot of projects now, would cost millions if not billions if it weren't maintained by a base of hackers and programmers that do it out of their own love of computers. So yes, maintenance would be much cheaper for a decentralized satellite system.
rapazev

Activity: 210

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 09:33:51 PM

yeah, but do you have a satellite? how can you build a decentralized satellite system without a satellite?
if you idea is to rent a satellite from somewhere(is it possible?), well, then it isnt decentralized...
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2016, 01:37:21 AM

Who's with me?

Before you invest too much energy in this idea you should google "flat earth".  Cheesy
akasma

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 01:39:50 AM

Who's with me?

How do you do that? Please explain more datails about this , Guy
I only watch this news if you give out more informations. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: