Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:01:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Help] My username has been hijacked and I want it back  (Read 1043 times)
real_simon66 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 10:07:15 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2016, 10:00:31 PM by real_simon66

So I haven't been able to log in for 2 years now (Last time I logged in from my computer was May 5th 2014).
When I did a password recovery, I didn't receive any emails. I assumed bitcointalk wasn't sending me a recovery email.
Today I decided to search for my username and see that its being used by someone else!

My original username is: simon66

I would like my account back. I can give all the proof you guys need.
Mods, PM me and I can give anything you need.

Thanks!

===== UPDATE =====

I thought that someone sold my account. I was wrong. The person who stole my account, kept it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2016, 10:08:51 PM

Follow the instructions here  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=497545.0

real_simon66 (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 10:16:06 PM

I don't know how to do that haha. Anyway you can help me out? I'll continue searching in the mean time.
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 10:23:52 PM

I don't know how to do that haha. Anyway you can help me out? I'll continue searching in the mean time.

The wallet I use does not allow sigs as per the guide. Ill let the dust settle for a day or two & then figure things out.
This is very unlikely. What wallet program do you use?

Blockchain.info 2016 version.
Ill figure it out in the coming days.

[GUIDE] How to Sign/Verify message in NEW Blockchain Wallet
[GUIDE] How to sign a message?!

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
real_simon66 (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 05:02:09 PM

The wallet I use does not allow sigs as per the guide. Ill let the dust settle for a day or two & then figure things out.
This is very unlikely. What wallet program do you use?

Blockchain.info 2016 version.
Ill figure it out in the coming days.

[GUIDE] How to Sign/Verify message in NEW Blockchain Wallet
[GUIDE] How to sign a message?!

Unfortunately I didn't have my bitcoin address tied to my profile. I've contacted both Cyrus and Theymos, lets see what can be done Smiley
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 06:24:36 PM

Unfortunately I didn't have my bitcoin address tied to my profile. I've contacted both Cyrus and Theymos, lets see what can be done Smiley

The only way to recover an account is with a signed Bitcoin message or possibly PGP that is related to the account. If you ever posted your Bitcoin address, or sent someone a PM or something with a Bitcoin address you have control of, you can use that.
real_simon66 (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 07:39:36 PM

The only way to recover an account is with a signed Bitcoin message or possibly PGP that is related to the account. If you ever posted your Bitcoin address, or sent someone a PM or something with a Bitcoin address you have control of, you can use that.

To my luck, I've once bought a 100$ gift card. Heres proof:

https://s24.postimg.org/9k44z00h1/Capture.png

I still own that card. And as you can see, my first name and partial last name is there. I still have this card and I can even send a picture of my drivers license (Which shows my name).
I was a user from 2011, I dont have my bitcoin wallet (Since they had like 0 BTC). Hopefully I can get my account back.
U2

Activity: 676
Merit: 503

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 07:59:13 PM

To my luck, I've once bought a 100$ gift card. Heres proof:

I still own that card. And as you can see, my first name and partial last name is there. I still have this card and I can even send a picture of my drivers license (Which shows my name).
I was a user from 2011, I dont have my bitcoin wallet (Since they had like 0 BTC). Hopefully I can get my account back.

But do you have the bitcoin address that you sent btc from to buy the card? That's what's needed as you can see from this post right here:

minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 08:05:54 PM

But do you have the bitcoin address that you sent btc from to buy the card? That's what's needed as you can see from this post right here:
I was a user from 2011, I dont have my bitcoin wallet (Since they had like 0 BTC).

IIRC accounts have been recovered without the original owner signing a Bitcoin address in the past. However, due to it being a strange case I would not expect to get your account back soon (if at all).
real_simon66 (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 08:26:08 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2016, 08:37:27 PM by real_simon66

Thats not the only way to recover an account. Here's what Theymos wrote:

Quote from: theymos
I very rarely recover accounts if you can't prove ownership as described above. There are alternative ways of proving ownership, but they take too much time. If I point you to this thread, you can't prove ownership properly, and then I ignore your future PMs, this means that I'm not going to recover your account. Create a new one.

Also, that starbucks card (Ending in 4794) is still in my possession. And my name is there too (Simon D). I don't see how that doesn't prove that it's my account.
What are the chances of a Starbucks card ending in 4794, registered to an account on the same day as that photo and that its tied to the owner with the same name as mine (Simon D.)?

Hopefully Cyrus and Theymos can help me recover my account.

======== UPDATE =========

I just noticed, my stolen account was selling another stolen account :/ But still, my account got stolen! I can prove that its mine. Hopefully they reply Smiley
simon66

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 09:50:57 AM

I thought that someone sold my account. I was wrong. The person who stole my account, kept it!

I sure didn't steal this account or hack it but I have it..
I came upon it by legitimate means..
Let's start there..
simon66

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 10:03:58 AM

Tell ya what...
I have BTC into this account and work into building it since I got it, about a year ago, (almost pot legendary now) so I'm the one going to take a loss here..

But I will give it back to you for free because I'm a nice sort of guy like that..

Tell me some things about the old PMs of this account by the original owner to convince me and it's yours..

Edit: OP PM sent..
real_simon66 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 05:31:58 AM

Awesome... Its been like 1 month and no reply from anyone. :/
simon66

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 11:41:00 PM