Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:07:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote rig resetting tool with PoE and relay switch  (Read 2009 times)
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1084
Merit: 1003

≡v≡

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 12:53:51 AM

My rigs are 30-35 minutes drive away from home and it's a pain in the ass to get there every time I need to restart the miner when it freezes or after power blackout some of them won't come back to live so I came up with an idea to build remote resetting tool with PoE and relay switch. Anyone can do this (this was my first soldering experience).. It is cheap and it is working.
What I used:
1. Cheap PoE switch from ebay - 35$ 24 port powerdsine 6524

2. Relay switch from local electronic store 12v TIANBO - 0.76$

3.Ethernet cable crimped with RJ45 standard B on one side to connect to switch
(you don't need image for that)
4. Power/Reset SW cable 0.10$ without button (you don't need button neither)

I soldered one pair of RJ45 cable outgoing from switch on relay switch (full green and stripped brown, other contacts may also work)

On relay switch I also soldered Power SW cable with pins on other contacts which will later connect to motherboard

Then I connected pins to motherboard and connected RJ45 to PoE switch port

You have to write down which PoE switch ports are connected to which rigs to restart the miner you need to restart.
After all is set up next steps are simple, when rig freezes or won't come back after power blackout you need to connect to PoE switch's management IP and head to Port Configurations Enable/Disable section. By default you have all ports disabled, if you need to restart the rig which is connected to PoE switches port 1 you will enable it for about 3 seconds and disable. The miner will shut down, after that you will do this step again, enable the port for 3 seconds and disable, now rig will start up again and starts to mine.

I use H81 BTC and ASUS H81M-K motherboards, in case of H81 i never used HDMI dummys, after restarting them they power up and start the miner from startup folder, in case of H81M-k I'm using HDMI dummys because in most cases they need monitor to be plugged in.

I'm little bit sleepy now so if something is hard to understand or I did some technical mistakes feel free tell. I just wanted to share.
if it works it ain't stupid!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EEwolf

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 09:08:05 AM

My rigs are 30-35 minutes drive away from home and it's a pain in the ass to get there every time I need to restart the miner when it freezes or after power blackout some of them won't come back to live so I came up with an idea to build remote resetting tool with PoE and relay switch. Anyone can do this (this was my first soldering experience).. It is cheap and it is working.
What I used:
https://i.imgur.com/DrSLS67l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ej4GJDYl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/e7iNylxl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/22t3RMDl.jpg

I soldered one pair of RJ45 cable outgoing from switch on relay switch (full green and stripped brown, other contacts may also work)
https://i.imgur.com/NxdIk30l.jpg
On relay switch I also soldered Power SW cable with pins on other contacts which will later connect to motherboard
https://i.imgur.com/GRCE9Arl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Lh1MXwUl.jpg

You have to write down which PoE switch ports are connected to which rigs to restart the miner you need to restart.
After all is set up next steps are simple, when rig freezes or won't come back after power blackout you need to connect to PoE switch's management IP and head to Port Configurations Enable/Disable section. By default you have all ports disabled, if you need to restart the rig which is connected to PoE switches port 1 you will enable it for about 3 seconds and disable. The miner will shut down, after that you will do this step again, enable the port for 3 seconds and disable, now rig will start up again and starts to mine.
https://i.imgur.com/IuwQdXYl.jpg

I use H81 BTC and ASUS H81M-K motherboards, in case of H81 i never used HDMI dummys, after restarting them they power up and start the miner from startup folder, in case of H81M-k I'm using HDMI dummys because in most cases they need monitor to be plugged in.

I'm little bit sleepy now so if something is hard to understand or I did some technical mistakes feel free tell. I just wanted to share.

Stupid like a fox!!  Cool

It's things like this that make mining fun.
I would suggest anyone replicating this to get higher coil voltage relays. PoE is above 40V. 24V relays should be a good alternative if you can't get access to higher voltage ones.
Otherwise this a really good diy rig resetter project.
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 10:16:29 AM

What I used:

Stupid like a fox!!  Cool

It's things like this that make mining fun.
I would suggest anyone replicating this to get higher coil voltage relays. PoE is above 40V. 24V relays should be a good alternative if you can't get access to higher voltage ones.
Otherwise this a really good diy rig resetter project.
Thank you my friend!
Actually 48v relay will do their job too alsdo they cost the same as 24v relays
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:08:59 PM

What I used:

Interesting hack Smiley good job

I use a cluster (3x of them) of customised remote R-PI-III toolbox to do that, and for the worst cases 2x wifi plugs (hidden behind crypted secure tunnel because their base network security suxx) that also do wattmeters (never had to use them but you never know when it's remote location hehe)
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 02:11:58 PM

in total I'm controling 95 PCs/rigs so this was the cheapest sollution so far, with 3 48 PoE switch relay switches cables and conectors roughly 300$
home_miner

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:16:13 AM

you are a genius  Grin Grin  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:09:27 AM

you are a genius  Grin Grin  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Thank you ))

I've come to a new, better solution, 33$ for 16-miners at a time.
I'll update news by the end of the day
car1999

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:06:54 AM

nice, it's difficult for me to buy a  manageable poe switch.
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:08:23 AM

just wait a bit I'll post in couple hours
cheers
bouldou

Activity: 403
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:35:58 AM

Hi guys, I have another suggestion for you

To remotely reboot my rigs, I simply use this remote programmable surge protector : EnerGenie EG-PMS2-LAN

It's really easy to use, you have a website / Android app to turn on/off your sockets... and you can find it quite chead on Amazon (a refund model costed me 30€)

https://www.amazon.fr/EnerGenie-EG-PMS2-LAN-Multiprise-parafoudre-programmable/dp/B0099AHPQ4

Wink

Vous voulez une Lambo ? Investissez dans le YENTEN : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2706079.0
umine

Activity: 405
Merit: 136

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:40:44 AM

What I used:

Really great work!
I build now pracrically the same system using Mikrotik Router (with PoE) and 12V car relay for 4 remote managed outlets

Smilee

Activity: 24

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 04:26:58 PM

cheers

I really want to see this!!  Thanks!
N0pr3s3n7

Activity: 107
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 10:29:54 PM

cheers

update ? thanks Smiley also can you explain a little bit with pictures / details how did u exactly connect the relay / PoE switch and  power button on motherboard ? thanks
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:44:01 AM

cheers

update ? thanks Smiley also can you explain a little bit with pictures / details how did u exactly connect the relay / PoE switch and  power button on motherboard ? thanks
after I will get all three options up and running I'll do a detailed review with pics and etc.

so here are some updates

I tested three versions, first one is 16 channel relay + arduino and ethernet shield, I managed the code, but in real it is not as useful as it seems, in fact the only problem it has is that if the power switches off and on again all the relay modules will do the same, it means all the rigs will be reseted.
the second one is the same 16 channel relay with web server module http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ethernet-Control-Module-LAN-Network-WEB-Server-RJ45-Port-w-16-Channel-Relay-im-/182743044318?hash=item2a8c5590de:g:OCQAAOSwTUVZqPyE it arrived couple days ago and is in testing process, it works great at first sight, but when I changed the ip to meet my local network range after couple hours it stops responding, under this I mean that I can ping it, but when I'm trying to open it in browser it shows error, also if I try to connect to it with wrong port it shows 401 error which in fact means that the module is working, but I haven't figured out yet were is the problem. Anyways I have it and it will be tested fully on this weekend.
Third and last option is this module from China https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/Industrial-Ethernet-16-Channel-Output-TCP_60608346610.html I ordered it couple days ago and it should arrive in 2 days, I will update info about it as soon as I get my hands on
Haldon

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:52:50 AM

Ok...why not just get one of these things?
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5516_HS110.html

Been using it for months now. Download the app on your phone and you will have remote reboot functionality and a power meter to calculate usage/cost.

mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 07:11:00 AM

Ok...why not just get one of these things?
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5516_HS110.html

Been using it for months now. Download the app on your phone and you will have remote reboot functionality and a power meter to calculate usage/cost.

The cost.,
I have to manage 100+ rigs
Haldon

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 07:14:52 AM

Ok that makes sense if 100+ yeah Smiley
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 05:41:29 PM

Soo as I promised here are the latest updates.
From the time I posted this I was looking for cheap and easy solution for my rigs to manage, because sometimes it's a huge pain in the ass to get up and drive 30 mins to restart frozen rig.
You can see the road here I've been on and the last one really did the great job and I want to share it with you.

So here is the 16 channel relay itself (cables for motherboards with pins and buttons are not yet connected)

This device comes with windows software and ios/android app also, they are easy to use and very handy, here are some pics from android and win:

And the cables, I decided to make the cables the way that I will be able to reboot them manually with button and from the relay too, so they look like this:

The side that's not on thi pic connects to relay and pins to mobo, also there is a button for manual restarting on powering the rig on.
Here are also cables I ripped of to do this:

This thing aint smart, so it can't reboot the rig automatically, but anyways who needs it?! I myself prefer to log in after freeze and see what caused it, check the logs etc.. So who needs it right? When you have VPN connection (btw this device also connects to remote server).

The only thing I can't do myself is to configure zabbix to get in depth understandings on what's going on on farm, so anyone able to help is welcome. I have zabbix up and running but zero experience with it, but I'm pretty sure it will be the key to the 99% automation of my and my clients farms.
Cheers guys, anyone who found this useful you are welcome.

p.s. anyone interested in links of products on this pictures I can share them here or in PM
Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 05:47:45 PM

This is the reason I wanna be in mining! Thank you for sharing it

This little project is truly amazing, cheap and effective. It's also pretty easy to create a page to reset the rig without getting into the control panel.

I have seen many rig resetter, but IMHO this is the most original.
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 06:25:29 PM

This is the reason I wanna be in mining! Thank you for sharing it

This little project is truly amazing, cheap and effective. It's also pretty easy to create a page to reset the rig without getting into the control panel.

I have seen many rig resetter, but IMHO this is the most original.
Thank you
it's cheap I agree, the relay itself is about 50$ cables, pins and buttons (100-100 pcs) 16$ and shipping from China to me 12-15$ so total around 80$ for 16 rigs + additional 50$ every next 16 rig which is quite good price.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: