Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:22:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft's marketing chief admits Windows 10 upgrade was pushed too aggressivel  (Read 421 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 11:48:49 AM

Microsoft's marketing chief admits Windows 10 upgrade was pushed too aggressively

http://www.myce.com/news/microsofts-marketing-chief-admits-windows-10-upgrade-pushed-aggressively-81115

<< Microsoft's Chief Marketing Officer (CMO), Chris Capossela, has admitted that Microsoft has been too aggressive in pushing the Windows 10 upgrade. He admits that in a video interview with Microsoft watchers Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley. The company received a lot of complaints and even got involved in several lawsuits thanks to its aggressive methods. The company angered a lot of users by making changes to the application that was responsible for the upgrade notifications, Get Windows 10 (GWX). Even when users disabled the application, it enabled itself again. This made that many users upgraded to Windows 10 by accident.

Capossela states it was extremely painful for him that Microsoft even ignored its own design guidelines to get users to upgrade. The upgrade dialog was changed in such a way that the red cross, normally used to close a dialog or to cancel something, now had the same effect as the OK button. This got hundreds of thousands of users to upgrade to Windows 10, because they thought they stopped the upgrade process by clicking the red cross.

"Trying not go over the line of not being too aggressive is something we tried, and for a lot of the year I think we got it right, but there was one particular moment, when the red X in the dialog box that typically means cancel didn't mean cancel", Capossela said. "Within a couple of hours of that hitting the world, with the listening systems we have, we knew that we'd gone too far. And then of course it takes us some time to roll out the update that changed that behavior and those two weeks were pretty painful and clearly a lowlight for us, it learned us a lot obviously", he added.

Microsoft received an enormous amount of complaints, but instead of giving in, the company tried to explain away its design choices in a knowledge base article. When that didn't work, the company removed the red cross to get rid of the complaints. But that made users even more angry. >>

How to completely avoid upgrading to Windows 10... forever:

http://forums.noobsforever.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1544

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 11:57:11 AM

Love that picture LOL ..and i agree it was  Angry

I refuse to participate in any MS product or service ever again.
Windows 8 was the final straw and Windows 10 was the last nail in the coffin.

I wash my hands of that dumb company and their horrendous bullshit.

FUD first & ask questions later™
Hiren74

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2016, 06:51:26 PM

Have to admit that pic puts things into perspective, come to think about it everything was all rushed and forced.....

not nice at all for the consumer to be forced to upgrade to windows 10, there are some owners of tablets from 1-2 years ago and windows 10 is still making it hard to read normal text even !

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 02:13:57 PM

Windows 10 is a SCAM !

FUD first & ask questions later™
morantis

Activity: 868
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 02:18:28 PM

it wasn't too quick, people have to remember that windows 8 never went over well.  people hated the original look and the metro style and lots of people found themselves stuck on 8 for various reasons. 

windows 10 first version was still pretty crappy.....microsoft is pushing not for the new OS, but to find a stable OS that people can use for a few years while the next update/upgrade is built.  people hated vista, but they could use it while the next windows came along.  there are people on various stages of 10 that struggle daily to use their own computer.  microsoft is pushing to a safer resting point
Gyro

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 02:44:23 PM

Yeah I got the feeling it was being pushed down my throat so I naturally resisted. Still on Windows 7.

What the fuck happened to Windows 9 ??

morantis

Activity: 868
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 02:46:14 PM

Yeah I got the feeling it was being pushed down my throat so I naturally resisted. Still on Windows 7.

ok, actual roadmap was windows 8(original metro), then basically windows 9 was windows 8 with the fixes and a return to more accepted GUI's like the start menu.....then, supposedly, windows 10 is the last "named" windows with all new changes simply being upgrades to that OS
santaclaws

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

Horror Movie Phreak

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 05:46:12 PM

ok, actual roadmap was windows 8(original metro), then basically windows 9 was windows 8 with the fixes and a return to more accepted GUI's like the start menu.....then, supposedly, windows 10 is the last "named" windows with all new changes simply being upgrades to that OS

That's a good explanation. I guess now its automatic updates on permanently.
zoom_rich

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 09:55:20 PM

I still haven't upgraded. I didn't want to and it was such an annoying period.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: