Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:03:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction as yet 'unconfirmed'. Should the machine remain running?  (Read 1100 times)
candtalan (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:56:56 PM

I have completed a transaction to receive bitcoin, and they now appear in my bitcoin-qt wallet on my local machine. I note that the transaction is initially marked as  unconfirmed, 2 of 6 confirmations. After a short time,  it is 3 of 6 confirmations.  My question: how important is it for my wallet to remain online during this process? For example, it would be convenient for me , just now, to take the machine offline (turn it off), and continue in some hours time. Would that be a problem for the confirmations?
tia
ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:58:58 PM

Good, a topic that doesn't deal with the current fx rate lol.

You should be fine to turn your machine off. It will catch up in confirmations when you turn it back on. You'll be fine.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
jerethdaminer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:11:34 PM

afik the confirmations are the blocks generated in which your transaction is part of them so you make the transaction then its added to the chain after 6 of those occurring its considered confirmed ie the chance of a blockchain fork involving it is to small to bother with, other machine are crunching those you don't need to have it on to recieve it in the same way your paycheck fores into your bank weather your online or not
candtalan (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:03:48 PM

Thanks for the responses!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile