Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:03:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How does DDoS affect BTC price  (Read 2034 times)
masize (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Rockefeller Oil in his time, Today is BTC time

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:02:56 PM

Can somebody explain how DDoS makes BTC price drop?

Always BUYING BTC at Last mtGox.
Neteller, Webmoney, Paypal, MoneyBookers
http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=masize&sign=ANY&type=RECV
gimme_bottles

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:04:09 PM

if trading sites become unaccessable some people tend to panic selling, which increases load on the servers even more.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:04:51 PM

Did you not watch the market implode today??

That's how it effects the price.

evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:05:49 PM

It doesn't.  People just don't want to admit that investor confidence might be shook, and the whole meteoric rise in price was all a charade, so they are looking for a scapegoat.

If anything, MtGox lag slowed the freefall.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:05:53 PM

if trading sites become unaccessable some people tend to panic selling, which increases load on the servers even more.
BTC exchanges are HEAVILY weighted to the buy side since some many new people are opening accounts.  When you freeze access to the site, these new buyers cannot get on and buy so it makes it easier to sell.  When things freeze up and fall, people with little sense panic and yell fire as they run to the exits.

gimme_bottles

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:06:29 PM

Alone, it wouldn't do all that much. It is typically accompanied by a huge sell off first.

you forget a trading platform with shitty implemented algorithms  Roll Eyes
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:07:37 PM

It doesn't.  People just don't want to admit that investor confidence might be shook, and the whole meteoric rise in price was all a charade, so they are looking for a scapegoat.

Except for the fact that the huge drops in price are always combined with huge MtGox lag.

Unfortunately they will be fixing this today (tomorrow there) and I cannot write my trade bot to take advantage of it.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:08:41 PM

Alone, it wouldn't do all that much. It is typically accompanied by a huge sell off first.

How about something like a SOP policy to HALT trading when shit like this happens?   Who runs that place?   Really need an adult run exchange, there should be enough money in it to get real people interested.

evolve

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:10:02 PM

Except for the fact that the huge drops in price are always combined with huge MtGox lag.

Yeah, thats the point. The lag allows Mtgox to prop the market (by slowing down the freefall) during a crash.
gimme_bottles

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:10:35 PM

How about something like a SOP policy to HALT trading when shit like this happens?   Who runs that place?   Really need an adult run exchange, there should be enough money in it to get real people interested.

i missed the "crash", but a few minutes ago i saw a quote somewhere here that said they stopped accepting new orders for some time. anyone knows more about this?
masize (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:11:05 PM

Oh man! If only I could wire transfer from my country I could rise that little number back to heaven.
How is it usd 130 and all you guys not buying?

pretendo

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:11:52 PM

It exacerbates panic sales and obscure price information to participants.

I am so done with MTGOX though. They've had PLENTY of time and money to upgrade their hardware to industry standard.
evolve

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:12:27 PM

i missed the "crash", but a few minutes ago i saw a quote somewhere here that said they stopped accepting new orders for some time. anyone knows more about this?

I had market orders fail to go through during the lag. Dont know about anyone else though.
gimme_bottles

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:13:12 PM

Yeah, thats the point. The lag allows Mtgox to prop the market (by slowing down the freefall) during a crash.

the lag causes market sell orders placed at $230 to be executed at $150. so i don't think it slows it down, instead it fuels it up even more
masize (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:16:54 PM

I am so done with MTGOX though. They've had PLENTY of time and money to upgrade their hardware to industry standard.

Why do people use MtGox then? Bitcoin 24 or BitStamp don't charge any fees and I havent seen them down never.

Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:16:58 PM

the lag causes market sell orders placed at $230 to be executed at $150. so i don't think it slows it down, instead it fuels it up even more
Exactly.   When you are unable to do the business that people contract you to do, you HALT until you are ready.   They should have HALTED trading.   They are idiots.

gimme_bottles

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:21:00 PM

stopping to accept new orders is a first step, but i guess they are just too greedy  Angry
ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:27:59 PM

Why do people use MtGox then? Bitcoin 24 or BitStamp don't charge any fees and I havent seen them down never.

Lack of liquidity really.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:30:34 PM

stopping to accept new orders is a first step, but i guess they are just too greedy  Angry
I find it so incompetent that I wonder if it is not the exchange itself.   Say they get too "short" because they are borrowing (without asking) other people's deposited coins to keep the market going, waiting for a break to cover these shorts.   And the pullback does not come and their "facilitation of trade" actually becomes a HUGE liability.   Wouldn't a nice plunge help fix that?
Can anyone tell me why the above is not plausible?

Manticore

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:31:15 PM

Exactly. The sell-off started well before the lag. Trading curbs and circuit breakers slow panic selling on the NYSE/Nasdaq......the lags stems panic on Mt Gox. Everyone is using this DDoS(??)/lag as an excuse for a correction. That said, there are no trading curbs in currencies. Forex does not have circuit breakers. What does BitPay do during an outage??? Should a currency (or quasi-currency) ever have a circuit breaker?

Before this, the last 4 minor corrections were accompanied by the same lag (subsequent to a sell-off, not prior) and tiny bot trades on an inflated ask (e.g., 0.02 BTC trades well above the stream of sells) that kept the bid/ask high while most of the sales were actually occurring much much lower, which is why it always jumped back up so quickly after a sell-off even though the buys were minuscule compared to the much larger dump. The bot trades always appeared at key support levels, just as they did today. The panic selling would normally stop when lag increased to point that Gox was unresponsive. This time the selling was too intense.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=172540
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170483

A DDoS would only stem panic selling.....nobody should ever place market orders. Never ever....
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: