Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:26:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PM autoreply or please-use-email message to sending user  (Read 1600 times)
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:10:06 PM

Hello,

For a multitude of reasons I do not use the forum's PM system.  I try to tell people to email me (my email address is public in my profile) but it's not working… I often discover a big pile of PMs that are weeks old and people get all upset and angry at me.  I even tried putting it in my signature and people still send PMs.

Is there any way to have the forum autoreply to people who send me a PM?  I'd just have it tell them "email me" and include my email.

If not, is there any chance we could have the forum add a setting where if you enable it and somebody tries to PM you they are instead shown a message saying "don't PM this user, they prefer to be contacted via XYZ"?  I guess it doesn't have to block them from sending the PM, it just has to display that message prominently enought that they aren't going to miss it.

Thanks, this would really help.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13088

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:21:40 PM

You could disable receiving PMs.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Logik

Activity: 315
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:46:48 PM

Assuming you were willing to trust my application with your login (which you probably aren't) I could create you a PM bot, or other custom mailing logic if you flicked me a BTC.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=154131.0

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
   ████████████████████████████████   
     ▀██████████████████████████▀     
        ▀████████████████████▀       
          ████████████████▀         
            █████████████           
            ▀████████████▀           
             ▀██████████▀             
              ██████████             
               ████████               
               ▀██████▀               
                ██████               

trade.io.
██████
██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
██████

▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
██████
██████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
██████
██████
.Join the Trading Revolution.
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:32:53 AM

Wait a second, I'm the one making bots... Tongue He makes APIs.
Well, I'm not going to stop you Cheesy

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:50:22 AM

Whiskers75 and Logik, you should partner up and start some very specific "bitcointalk bot consulting service" Cheesy
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:37:36 AM

You could disable receiving PMs.

How?

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:05:14 AM

How?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=35;sa=pmprefs
Put a * in the text box.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 07:19:41 AM

Instead of trying to edit theymos's settings, though, you should probably use this link, instead:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=42407;sa=pmprefs
Wink

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:41:38 AM

Whoops.  Tongue

whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:43:23 AM

Whiskers75 and Logik, you should partner up and start some very specific "bitcointalk bot consulting service" Cheesy
Who's to say we're not in cahoots already?  Wink

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:00:58 AM

That doesn't disable PMs, it ignores them.  I can already do that.  In fact, that's exactly the problem.

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 01:09:26 AM

That doesn't disable PMs, it ignores them.  I can already do that.  In fact, that's exactly the problem.

So, I guess the answer is "no".

You can prevent people from emailing you by turning off email in your profile, but you can't prevent people from PMing you.

Sad.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 01:11:48 AM

So, I guess the answer is "no".

You can prevent people from emailing you by turning off email in your profile, but you can't prevent people from PMing you.

Sad.
You seem to have worked out a valid work-around.

Would be nice if one could set up an autoresponse, though.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 01:13:22 AM

No, you are mistaken.

It doesn't need to be anything nearly as fancy as an auto-response.  Simply eliminating the ability for people to send me PMs would be enough -- that would force them to look for other ways of contacting me (they'll find my email address in my profile pretty quickly) instead of assuming I'm being a jerk and ignoring them.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 01:32:07 AM

No, you are mistaken.

It doesn't need to be anything nearly as fancy as an auto-response.  Simply eliminating the ability for people to send me PMs would be enough -- that would force them to look for other ways of contacting me (they'll find my email address in my profile pretty quickly) instead of assuming I'm being a jerk and ignoring them.

Your signature includes the bright red words "DO NOT PM ME.  Send me email." This appears in all of your posts, and on your profile. The link to send you an email is right next to the one to send you a PM. I'd consider this an idiot filter, myself.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 01:33:59 AM

I often discover a big pile of PMs that are weeks old and people get all upset and angry at me.
When I get a PM the forum sends me an email containing the actual text of the PM. I think it's controlled by the "Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email." option. If you turned that on I don't see any way you could possibly miss PMs.
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:29:15 AM

Your signature includes the bright red words "DO NOT PM ME.  Send me email."

I am flabbergasted by your superhuman powers of observation.

Unfortunately there are plenty of ways for people to send me PMs from pages that don't display that message.

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:30:15 AM

When I get a PM the forum sends me an email containing the actual text of the PM.

…and I can't reply via email.  So I can't reply.  Hence, this thread.

This also doesn't solve the problem of their original message passing through the forum's PM system in the first place, which is another thing I'm trying to avoid here.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:32:55 AM

Unfortunately there are plenty of ways for people to send me PMs from pages that don't display that message.

No need to be a douche about it.

As I said, this also shows up on your user profile. Is there anywhere else that I don't know about that a user can send you a PM from?

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:35:50 AM

No need to be a douche about it.

Actually I thought your statement of the blindingly-obvious contents of my signature was in the same vein, but I could be wrong.

Chalk it up to mutual unintended douchebaggery?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: